[Guide] How to insert pictures or attach files to a post

Some users reported about problems, when they tried to insert a screenshot into a post or wanted to attach a file.
That is why I offer here short guides about how to do it.

A. How to insert a picture (best choice: stored as *.jpg or *png file):

1. Write and format the text of your post.
  2. Hit “Attach file” at the right hand bottom of your edited post. (Note: The “Attach file” option is not available, if you had chosen the “Quick reply” option.)
  3. Click onto “Select files” (German text: “Dateien auswählen”) and navigate to the *.jpg or *.png file you want to insert and click onto it.
  4. Hit the “Upload” button, which is just beyond the “Select Files” area.
  5. Navigate your input device (mouse or touchpad) to the place, where you want to get the image file inserted, and set the cursor exactly there.
  6. Hit onto the “Insert” button, which you will find on the right hand bottom of the post just on the right side of the listed just uploaded image file.
  7. Now you will get a popup window, where you can choose the shown picture size (the default and best is “auto”) and the insertion mode. Just click onto “Insert image”.
  8. Click the “Preview” button. Provided, that you are using a browser like Firefox or Opera, which support the optical presentation of “Preview” pictures, you can now verify, whether the image file has been inserted at the correct place and with the optimized size. If you should not see any pictures in the “Preview” view, change the browser or click “Submit” (with the option to change the picture’s location and size thereafter by re-editing your post).
  9. If you want to insert more pictures, you can do it the same way as before.
  10. Click “Submit” resp. “Post thread”.

Tip:
If you want to know the easiest way how to get a “pure” and meaningful screenshot, you may look into the start post of >this< thread.

B. How to attach a file (best choice: compressed as .ZIP or .RAR archive):

1. Write and format the text of your post.
  2. Put the file(s) you want to attach into a .ZIP or .RAR archive by using WinZip or WinRAR.
  3. Hit “Attach file” at the right hand bottom of your edted post.
  4. Click onto “Dateien auswählen”, which means “Select Files” (my hoster forgot to translate it), and navigate to the *.zip or *.rar file you want to attach and click onto it.
  5. Hit the “Upload” button, which is just beyond the “Select Files” area.
  6. If you want to attach more than 1 file, you can do it the same way as before.
  7. Click “Submit” resp. “Post thread”.

hm this looks way too dangerous for me.

@Bugger Vance :

I am sorry for my late reply. Obviously I missed your post.
If you want, that your attached pictures are visible forever, you should better use the direct attachment option of the Forum software.

@Fernando :
What would be nice is to not have German button/option/setting text on English forums :wink:
Your how to is fine, most of us, myself included English is not first or second or third language, sadly my German is extremely poor, and Fernando, youre not a sexy German girl, so the incentive to learn is non existent :wink:

That would require to change my hoster and I am not willing to do that.
As I have written within the start post, I don’t have the ability to replace these few words, which are still shown in German language, by English words.

Thats unfortunate.

If you pay the new hoster and do the required work (incl. a frequent backup, which is now done by my current hoster Xobor.de), I will think about a move to another hoster.

If you pay the new hoster and do the required work (incl. a frequent backup, which is now done by my current hoster Xobor.de), I will think about a move to another hoster.

Well, what I meant by unfortunate is that https://www.xobor.de/ claim this is a professional forum software and yet have clearly quite buggy Language support and feature wise seems fairly impaired (from my non admin ability in this forum).

I would argue that it is their responsibility to deliver on the promise of this so called professional forum software and fix those bugs, unless of course their support is like Asus, Corsair and such many terrible companies that provide bad support and have no interest in their customers.

However looking at https://www.xobor.de/ they clearly also only target German consumers and have no English on their website, which probably means that wont get any better soon.

On the subject of moving these boards to another hoster:

This would be a challenge without knowing what compatibility or migration systems exists if any, because I assume you would want to import user accounts, all posts and databases. I imagine much if not everything would break, especially if this forum software is unique to Xobor.

How come when I hit preview I cant see any picture thumbnails?

This guide isnt working at all I follow all the steps but everytime the thumbnails dont show up in preview I can click on the place where the thumbnail should be and it loads the image on a new tab but I cant actually see the thumbnails inserted in my post very disappointing gonna take days to make this post… Seems like some info is left out of this guide like new users cant post images or some detail is missing(much like the guides dealing with sensitive storage drivers causing you to reinstall lol).

@iCeOL8TR :

This seems to be a problem of your in-use browser, which cannot be solved by the Forum Administration.
My tip: Click onto the "Submit" button. Then you will see the inserted pictures. If you are not satisfied with the location or size of the inserted picture, you can move/change the related location/size by using the "Edit" option.

Had to install firefox, looks like on edge or any chrome variant it doesnt work…