[Guide] How to Use a CH341A SPI Programmer/Flasher (with Pictures!)

@Lost_N_BIOS

Thanks for the help I was able to read the contents of the BIOS.

I bought the board used and I’m trying to find the BIOS password and was hoping it might be contained in the read data. So far I’ve been unable to find it, is this something that should be in the read data or am I just wasting time? I have the .bin file for the bios and have been trying to find related terms.

I want to be able to get into the bios, but if I can’t find the password I would settle for being able to flash to the newest bios (which might reset the password anyhow). At least this way I would be able to upgrade to 3xxx Ryzen chips.

I’m not familiar with flashing through this program, I’ve saved the bin file like I mentioned, so I should be able to re-write from there if I mess up the bios. Is there anything special I need to do to flash the bios? Or is it as simple as opening a the new bios file and writing it to the chip? Are there any required file types etc?

@Jordaniel95 - Great! Does it open in BIOS tools and look similar to stock BIOS? if yes, then probably a good dump
Password may be in BIOS, or it may be stored in another chip, hard to know without finding that exact answer in google. No matter where it’s stored, even if you knew it, it would be hashed so you wouldn’t be able to find it unless you knew the hash.
If you can find the location, in other chip, or it’s in BIOS storage location, then you can just blank that area. Best people for help with this is at BIOS-mods forum.

Send me the dump, I will use it to make you a clean stock BIOS to program back, then you will know if it’s store in BIOS or in another chip or not.

Once I am sure you made a good valid dump, i will tell you how to write BIOS properly, but until then it’s best you don’t try to erase or write anything

Thanks again for the help, here is the file.

I verified that the data in the dump was the same as what was read into the buffer so hopefully it’s good.

@Jordaniel95 - Verified in buffer does not always mean good dump, this is why we check/compare to see if it looks at least similar to other BIOS in BIOS tools.
No file attached above

Sorry about that, missed the notification that the file was too large. Even after zipping it the file is over the 6MB limit.

I created a google drive link to the file instead: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12ex_1S…1GS6BxtY2KTXVmg

@lost_n_bios

Hey i Hope you guys are able to help me.

So i got the Programmer.

I checked my Motherbord MBX-269 DA0HK5MB6F0 REV: F

Sony Vaio sve1511y1esi

Chip is winbond 25q64fvsig 1215 (Thats what i can see on my Motherboard.

So i believe i hve to choose W25Q64FV in the Tool…but it always says chip not found

What im doing wrong ?

@lost_n_bios

How do I know if I have a good dump or not?

Also how do I flash/what do I need to do to be able to flash to a new BIOS with the programmer?

Thanks!

Hello to everybody! I have HP Elitebook
i’ve tried to upload dumb bin with CH341A and soic8 clip, but he give me this error “Main Chip with the contents are in disagrement” but i could erase and write file, now bios is write but computer won’t start.
Help me please

@Jordaniel95 - sorry I missed your reply until now! BIOS dump looks good. If password is stored in BIOS, then programming in new BIOS version would remove it, but if it’s stored in another chip it will remain in place.
Program in the BIOS as is from MSI. If you loose serial/MAC ID you can fix later, once you are sure password is removed or not, if it still there after you program in new BIOS version, then back to square one, program back in your original dump to fix system details

@BenBoss chip ID you choose does not matter, you should get some ID’s when you click Detect even if they are wrong. Sounds like you don’t have something connected properly, or the clip is not connecting to the chip perfectly (Sometimes it takes many tries to get it just right)
Also, some systems need main battery installed or main power connected too (but not powered on)

@gabry120 - What is your BIOS ID from the chip (not from software), and what software version are you using? Some ID’s you need to use certain software version, or other than exact ID

25Q128FV

I used 1.34 version

@gabry120 - For W25Q128FV you need to use 1.18 version CH341A software, or use ASProgrammer 1.41
Here is CH341A software package that has 1.18 - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…695330485827902
And here is ASProgrammer 1.41 - https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases/

Hello!
Does anyone knows what bios should i flash with FlashRom? I’m trying to fix a msi b450i pro gaming ac that went dead after a bios update… it has a 25u12873f chip, should i just use the bios that worked for me from the msi website or should i dump the bios and create a .bin? I’m kinda lost, any help would be extremely appreciated!

@nkaum - Please see thread below for more info, MX25U12873F is 1.8V chip so you need 1.8v adapter too before you can do anything - like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/202046860676
BIOS Modding/Flashing for AMD Ryzen? (2)

And yes, ALWAYS dump the chip, and then check with BIOS tools to make sure it’s a valid dump (looks similar to stock BIOS, is not all FF or 00, or repeating garbage), before you erase or write anything to it. Or have someone check for you before you do anything else.
That way, if possible, and it usually is, you can salvage your board specific details and their original locations and formatting etc.

Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS !!
I bought the adapter.
So, if I undestood correclty, after connecting to the chip, I should dump the current content of the chip (sudo flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r backup.bin), and then write the new bios (sudo flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -w <new bios>
Right?

For writing, should I use the bios available by the manufacturer? From the website: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-AC

@nkaum - Yes, you should dump the chip and upload for someone to confirm it’s OK dump and so you have a known good copy of your board specific details and their locations in the BIOS.
Then wait for someone to make you a new BIOS, do not write stock BIOS to the board with programmer, you will loose all your board specific data (serial, UUID, LAN MAC ID etc)
As for flashrom questions, sorry I can’t help there I’ve never used it.

Hello Haru and everybody,
First, I know nothing about Bios programmer or Flasher. I event don’t know for which purpose by doing Flasher. I am here because, 5 months ago, I did a really stupid thing in my life, I bought CH341a and install the CH341a software in my window 10. My stupid story starts from now. I connected ch341a with the chip of my iMac 21.5 2011 (with the hope of deleting the firmware password), then I opened CH341a programmer soft on my Win, then I click on Eraser button. And I got the really bad consequence, I can never open my Imac again (just hear the sound of the fan running). I come here by chance and try exactly the same thing Hary showed. I go smoothly until the last step. Haru, you mentioned “When the backup finishes, we can flash our new BIOS. Run this command, making sure to insert your new BIOS’ correct name” But the problem is I don’t know what is the Bios correct name I must insert. And also someone know any way to fix my iMac. Any suggestion will be appreciated a lot. Thanks in advance.
P/s: The iMac costs only 200$ and if I bring to a PC store for repairing, sure they will charge me 100$, that why I prefer to do something before.
Again, thank Haru for your help.

@tr.pharma92 - You’re suppose to read, verify, then save, before doing ANYTHING else. Give us the FULL model and maybe someone has BIOS you can program back in there, I don’t know, never dealt with MAC BIOS.
Is there a BIOS download page for this exact model? If yes, also link that.

Lost_N_Bios, yes, you are right, I shouldn’t do that. My iMac is iMac mid 2011, 21.5, core i5. Thank you for your time

Hi All,
I can’t get flashrom to detect the chip using a Linux bootable usb…nor can I get the crappy windows AsProgrammer software to detect a chip.
I modded the Ch341a (Black) that I have to have 3.3V (measured @ 2.9V) instead of the 5V. I also cut the trace to pin 1 and tied it to ground, as the replacement chip I have is active low CS on that pin.
I’ve found /dev/bus/usb/ permissions commands on other forums to get around errors concerning flashrom usb access permissions. I’m using the command below to try and read the chip.

sudo flashrom --programmer ch341a_spi -r .bin

The only time I see the “Run” LED active on the programmer is I try to read or write to the chip using the AsProgammer in windows.
This happens regardless of whether or not I have a chip even connected to 25x SPI ports.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Super frustrated

Hi

I have a bricked motherboard Gigabyte z170 Gaming 7 with Dual Bios chipsets MXIC MX25L12873F M2I-10G.
After of a wrong Intel ME firmware upadate I have continues boot loop (monitor never wake up-always off) with the last post (before loop) motherboard error code “b2”.

I try everything to backup main bios from back up but never worked out.

Before i try anything with programmer …If i manage to solder Backup bios chip in Main bios chip position it will boot up?

I have order BIOS USB Programmer CH341A (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EEPROM-BIOS-U…353.m2749.l2649)
Im totaly noob and i want some1 to tell me the next steps so i can have my MB back in working condition.

Please help me.