[Guide] Integration of AMD's AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3 CD

I have never used RAID and i dont know if RAID and AHCI installs can co exist. This hunting for AMD AHCI drivers is why i was damn glad W7 came along with native AHCI driver(aswell as usb installing). I was just very lucky on these 2 apu systems. Im off for the night now, i have other things waiting. Good Luck guys. :slight_smile:

@rfsapiens :
For AMD users like you I have written and published today the guide, which is within the start post of this new thread.
Within the guide you will find links to some interesting AMD AHCI drivers, which have been modded by me to make them usable with XP and compatible with as many different AMD AHCI Controllers as possible.
Please try them and report here about your experience with them.

Good luck!

Dear Fernando,
Thank you for all your effort but unfortunely I didn’t get it to work :frowning:

Here are the results of what happened to each driver you posted here:

1. >Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v1.2.1.321 mod+signed by me<
    Result: amd_sata.sys not found in windows CD setup installer.
    In windows it installs normally but BSOD
  2. >Universal 32bit AMD AHCI driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed by me<
    Result: bsod 7B at setup cd windows installer
    In windows it installs normally in device manager but after the reboot I get a BSOD.
  3. >Universal 32bit AMD RAID driver v6.1.3.35 mod+signed<
    Result: In windows it installs normally in device manager but it BSODs.

What else can I do? If I can do anything else well I guess I’m stuck having to switch to IDE mode prior to selecting Windows XP in the dual boot menu :confused:

With the best regards,
Rfsapiens.

P.S: I forgot to mention, this pc uses everything in legacy…CSM, MBR,etc… :slight_smile:

EDIT by Fernando: The text has been re-formatted by me for a better readability.

You need to look at post no3 in this topic. It contains important information about the various amd chipsets and the different ahci/raid controllers. AHCI and RAID drivers with the version number 6.1.3.35 are for Socket FM2+ Bolton chipsets with the Dot-Hill controller. Of course it BSODs because you are using it on a Promise RAID/AHCI controller. The AHCI and RAID v6.1.3.35 drivers that Fernando has used are direct from Gigabyte. The AHCI v6.1.3.35 DOES work when it is used on the CORRECT chipset. Sorry bub but in this case it is purely PEBKAC.

This is why i have added AMD chipset information in post 3. Fernando has made a note in post no1 just a few lines below the title.

I will give you one good bit of advice. AMD motherboards dont like their bios settings constantly changed, especially the raid/ahci controller, i blew my old 710 board constantly changing them.

@rfsapiens :
Thanks for having tested the different AMD AHCI and RAID drivers, which are linked within the start post of this thread, and thanks for your report.
Unfortunately you forgot some important details:

1. Which is the exact AMD Southbridge/Chipset of the test system?
  2. Which are the HardwareIDs of the on-board AMD SATA Controller, when it runs
    a) in IDE mode
    b) in AHCI mode
    c) in RAID mode?
  3. Which medium (CD/USB) did you use, when you tried to get XP installed?
  4. When you integrated the tested drivers (the ones from the start post) into the XP image, did you always use a “clean” (untouched) XP SP3 image as source and started each time from scratch without loading any nLite presets or executing any other nLite tasks?
  5. Which were the AMD SATA Controller setting (IDE/AHCI/RAID), when you started the XP installation with the different XP images containing the mentioned different drivers?

Generally it is not a good idea to switch the SATA mode from within an already installed Windows Operating System. When the user succeeds by forcing the installation of a “wrong” driver (not matching the SATA mode) and changing the SATA mode while rebooting, it is pure luck.

This indicates a bad XP medium (read error).

Please explain the details:
1. To which SATA mode has the AMD SATA Controller been set within the BIOS before you tried to install the related driver from within a running Windows?
2. Which Windows do you mean?
3. How did you install the mod+signed driver?
4. At what time id you get the BSOD?
5. Which error message did you get?

Working Windows 2000 driver for Intel “AHCI” mode (moded by blackwingcat) : LINK (iata76_cd2kg.cab)
I’m NOT author of the driver. I simply wanted to point out what worked for me.

Hi can you add device ID for ryzen chipset SATA controller?

@Dibya :
Has your question been addressed to me?
If yes, which HardwareIDs shall I add?

Hi Fernando,

first at all : please excuse my poor english, but I hope I may express myself clearly enough !
secondly : thanks a lot for your excellent guide "Integration of AMDs AHCI/RAID drivers by using nLite"
thirtly : there are still some questions, for wich I found no answer up to now

1) In connection with the DeviceID_xxxx : what describes the frequent used SUBSYS with the name/code "CC_0106" ?

2) What are changes in the related driver "modded by Fernando" ? I suspect its about supplements ( possibly also deletions ? )
in the files xxxxx.inf and/or txtsetup.oem . Or is there more ?

3) Is there an recommandeted file-format "FAT32" or "NTFS" for the installation of WinXP using a nLite-created bootable OS_CD ?

Thank you in advance for your answer ! With best regards

Mike

@bumifri :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If a specific DeviceID DEV_xxxx is followed by a “&SUBSYS_xxxxxxxx” entry, the driver will only work with this specific subtype of the device model DEV_xxxx.
The entry “&CC_106” means, that only the “AHCI mode” is supported for this device (note: “&101” means IDE mode and “&104” means RAID mode).

All I have done is the addition of some originally not supported HardwareIDs. Only the text files with the extension *.inf and *.oem have been customized, not the driver itself (= *.sys file). After having done that, the *.cat file, which contains the digital signature, has been freshly created.
If you want to know the exact changes within the *.inf and *.oem files, you can easily find them out by opening the original and the modded files by using the Windows Editor (notepad.exe) and comparing their content.

Look >here<. I recommend to use the NTFS file format.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando.

that´s great ! So fast an comprehensiv answer for all the questions !
Thank you so much for this helpful support !
Best regards
Mike

Hey, i try install Windows Xp on very last composant pc, Ryzen 2700X MB X470 MSI Gaming AC7
but same other user, amd sata pure driver get error not found, very strange, and drivers mod get same thing with no add drivers, bsod with 0x0000007b error
alos, i need press F7 fin moment request press F6 for no get ACPI error BSOD

@Zangetsu38 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If you get a 7b error message even without having added any driver, this indicates, that you haven’t used a clean (= untouched) XP CD as source.

Yes, the missing ACPI compatibility is a big problem for all users, who are trying to get XP installed onto a modern system. They have to hit F5 or F7 (when prompted to press F6) and to try different ACPI settings.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Zangetsu38 :
I have the same problem, I get a 7B BSOD even on unmodified source.
you can get rid of amd_sata not found error if you integrate STORPORT.SYS from windows server 2003, but I still got 7B BSOD at the end anyway.

I’m on an ASRock AB350 Gaming K4 with Ryzen 2400g

@infuscomus @Zangetsu38 :
If you would use an original (=untouched) XP CD without loading any F6 driver, you wouldn’t get a 7b BSOD while trying to get the OS installed.
A 7b BSOD always indicates an integrated/loaded wrong (not matching) driver or the integrated support of a wrong (not matching) Storage Controller. The original OS image never contains such “wrong” driver or Storage Controller.

@Fernando :
OK, where can i get a clean source then? since an my MSDN ISO apparently isn’t clean?

@infuscomus :
How did you get the MSDN ISO file and how much did you pay for it?

https://the-eye.eu/public/MSDN/Windows%20XP/

en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-80428.iso

verfied my hash here - http://blog.world3.net/2008/12/windows-xp-cd-sha1md5-sums/

@infuscomus :
This is not a legal OS download source.
How much did you pay for the license?