[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

Hi Fernando,

First congrats on this forum its helps alot :slight_smile:

Secondly i have a new PC with a z87i mb from MSI (intel 8 series / c220 controller) and wanted to install the WinXP on it, i have done all the steps and worked like a charm with windowsXP x64, but then i have found this version LINK removed (sorry for the link, but its for you to have an ideia of what the cd have), i inserted the drivers with nlite, and everything went well until the final reboot that enters windows then i get a blue screen with error code 0x0000007b, its hard drive/controllers related, do you know why is this happening, could you help ?

Thank you very much.
Cya

EDIT by Fernando: Link removed (no thepiratebay torrent links are allowed here)

@ rissol:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The Windows XP image, which is offered by ThePirateBay, obviously contains the DriverPacks MassStorage pack v13.10.25.1 (SATA/AHCI). I doubt, that this package supports Intel 8-Series chipset AHCI systems.
Furthermore the CD has already been processed with the tool DriverPacks Base. If you want to integrate any textmode driver by using nLite, you have to use a clean (untouched) XP CD as source.

Regards
Fernando

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your answer and im sorry for putting the link.

I changed to sata-ide in the bios and everything went well and installed no BSOD no more, i went to device manager and strangely the driver installed is 8 series / C220 4 sata controller, if he recognizes the controller and instals the driver for the ide shouldnt the ahci work too ?

Thank you.
Cya.

No. The SATA Controller is named by an Intel INF file, which belongs to the "Intel Chipset Device Software", but it uses the XP in-box IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS.
You can verify it by hitting the "Driver Details" button.

Fernando,

I built my first X79 system in 2012 and used your first Irst 11.1.0.1006 where you discovered that Intel had support for XP 32 bit ā€˜Hiddenā€™ in the package. Iā€™ve just built another X79 system and used the same Nlite disc I made with the 11.1.0.1006 for XP 32 bit. It works but after a bit I start to get an error that ā€˜IaStor failed to start in the alloted timeā€™.
Everything still runs, no bsod but the error repeats each boot. Is there a better Inf File I should be using ?

Thanks !
Bob

@ mothman02:
Hello Bob,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Question: Are you running your Intel X79 SATA Controller in AHCI or RAID mode?

Regards
Fernando

AHCIā€¦If it helps my system is:

i7 4820K

16 gb PC 1600 Ram

X79-UP4

Samsung 840 Pro 256 bit

@ mothman02:

I recommend to create a freshly nLited XP CD by integrating the ā€œUniversal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernandoā€. You can find this driver within the start post of this thread.
Please use an untouched XP source and donā€™t load any Last_session.ini file.

Good luck!

Hi
Could you confirm if chipset H87 is supported and what is the file I should download to incorporate using nlite to make the Windows XP Home Oem able to run using AHCI?
At my motherboard drivers DVD I found RAID/AHCI driver files AHCI version 12.8.0.1016 but they are in PNP mode (so probably the reason why under clean format F6 function does not show any files).
Im trying to find the download links for the 12.8.0.1016 and up versions that you stated in change log but at the 1 page I canā€™t find links to it, I only found for version 11.2.0.1006, can you help?
By the way, the motherboard its a ASUS H87M-Plus and I intend to install Windows XP Home OEM as AHCI.

Edit: I also tried the PNP drivers integrated with nLite from the ASUS MB DVD and not pressing F6 while trying to do a clean format but I also got BSOD.

Regards.

EDIT by Fernando: Dispensable text of the INF file deleted (to save space and Forum performance)

@ Elect:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Within the start post of this thread you can find an appropriate Intel AHCI driver, which will support your H87 chipset and is usable to get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode. It is the "Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando".

You can use this AHCI driver for Vista, Win7 and Win8, but not for Windows XP, because none of Intels RST v12 drivers have the file named TXTSETUP.OEM, which is absolutely needed, if you want to get Windows XP installed in AHCI or RAID mode.

Regards
Fernando

Ohā€¦ thank you. now I see.
If I understand besides the file name its v11.2.0.1006, it includes 12.8.0.1016 and recent version inside.

As I have a H87 chipset and its a Desktop I believe that Its only needed to select the two:
8 Series/C220 Chipset Family Desktop SATA AHCI Controller DEV_8C02 (added by Fernando)
8 Series/C220 Chipset Family Desktop SATA AHCI Controller DEV_9C02 (added by Fernando)
to be able to clean format using AHCI option.

Thank you very much.
Iā€™ll try right now and reply with result.

Tested and working, no more BSOD after clean format partition loading screen attempt.

Best regards for you patience and work,
Intel and special Motherboards Brands should thank you too.

You certainly mean, that the modded Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 additionally supports all Intel SATA AHCI Controllers, which usually need the much more actual Intel RST(e) drivers of the v12.x.x.xxxx series.

Congratulations and thanks for your feedback.
Enjoy Windows XP in AHCI mode with your H87 system!

Thank you. I must also say that it was a "must be" situation to use Windows XP on such a recent hardware, and to any one that need that must have in mind that graphics drivers (i5 4440- Intel HD4600 in my case) and chipset and some others, have no drivers for suport windows XP.
So, it will work, it will be a fast machine but limited hardware performance and functions.

Regards.

Hi
Just wanted to mention that if your system can boot to USB, you can use Easy2Boot.
You just copy a vanilla, unmodified XP install ISO (as a single file) to the USB drive and boot from it. You can install to most AHCI/SATA/RAID/SCSI systems as it contains the full DriverPack XP 32-bit Mass Storage drivers.

@ SteveSi:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution.

Are you sure, that all 4 different "Intel(R) 8-Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controllers" are supported by the Mass Storage DriverPack?
I really doubt it.

Regards
Fernando

Hi
The current E2B version contains the latest release which does not have the Series 8 drivers, but you can just add the latest ā€˜Nightliesā€™ build driverpack - would this add the necessary drivers?

1. Make an E2B+DPMS USB drive
2. Download a new build - e.g. http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=6622
3. Unzip to the _ISO\e2b\grub\dpms folder
4. rename _ISO\e2b\grub\DPMS\DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini to DriverPack.ini

Fernando:

Thank you so much for, not only posting this guide, but for continuing to monitor the posts on this page and responding to questions.

Since early January, I have been researching how to successfully load XP Pro 32bit on a new build on a Z77 board. I finally came across your forum a few days ago and, after reading all posts, and doing some research to figure out which of your modded drivers might work in my new build (since I have not installed any OS, I canā€™t use ā€œPropertiesā€ > ā€œDetailsā€ > ā€œPropertyā€ > ā€œHardwareIDsā€ to determine which of your modded drivers might work in my install), Iā€™ve realized I donā€™t know enough to figure it out on my own and am hoping you will advise me.

Iā€™m rather new to trying to install a 32 bit XP OS on newer hardware because Iā€™ve always had several older machines running XP Pro to use when I needed XP (in my opinion, the best OS MS has come out with to date). I will truly appreciate any help you can give me on which of your modded drivers will be appropriate for installation of XP Pro 32 bit, with AHCI, on my Asus P8Z77-V Pro b based build, with an Intel i3- 2100 LGA1155 CPU and an 840EVO 120GB SSD for XP Pro SP3 32bit install. In case it matters, Iā€™ve got the following other parts installed in the Antec 1100 case: 8GB Ballistix DDR3-1600 (PC-12800), an LG GH24NS90 DVD Drive, a Samsung 130 Series 128GB SSD (for a Win 7 Pro, XP Pro 64bit or Hackintosh, dual boot, install), a pair of WD Red 2 TB Drives (not attached to MOBO, pending OS install), a pair of Hitachi 1TB Drives (not attached to MOBO, pending OS install), and a Corsair CX600M PSU.

As far as I can tell, the P8Z77-V Pro board has the following storage controllers: ASMedia ASM1061 (Mounted on MOBO, but not suitable for OS install?), Marvell 88SE9123-NAA2 (Asus U36 [PCIex4]), Marvell 88SE9125-NAA2 (HighPoint Rocket 620), and Marvell 88SE9130-NAA2 (HighPoint Rocket 1220 [PCIe x1]). I have the SSD for my XP Pro 32 bit install plugged into the ā€œundereneathā€ 6gbs Marvell connector (itā€™s the bottom one of the stack of two blue plugs at the top of the row of SATA connectors if you are looking from the bottom of the MOBO). I keep getting error messages when I try to integrate drivers from Asusā€™ download page for this MOBO (into a clean image of my XP Pro 32 bit (SP3) CD) and I cannot figure out which of your modded drivers might make this setup work for XP Pro 32 bit install. Would your ">Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando< (>MIRROR<) " work with this set up?

Alternatively, I have an AsRock Z77 Extreme4 sitting around (an RMA replacement from another build, which I gave up waiting for) that I could I could use for this build. Would that board be easier to work with for an XP Pro 32 bit install, with AHCI, or are the problems Iā€™m having a result of trying to install on a Z77 board?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice or other help you may provide to me.

Virginia

@ sassycassie:

Hello Virginia,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This is the way how you will get Windows XP installed in AHCI mode onto your Z77 desktop system (will be valid for the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO and the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 as well):

1. Create a bootable Windows XP CD with integrated Intel AHCI driver according my guide by using the tool nLite.
    Notes:
    • Since your Intel 7-Series Chipset mainboards are supported by the original ā€œ32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQLā€, I would integrate this one.
    • When you get the textmode driver popup, you should just choose and highlight the listed ā€œIntel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controllerā€.
  2. Make sure, that your SSD is connected to one of the Intel Z77 SATA 6G ports (best choice would be port SATA6G_1).
  3. Enter the BIOS and set the Intel SATA Controller to ā€œAHCIā€.
  4. Disconnect all HDDs from your motherboard.
  5. Boot off the XP CD with integrated textmode driver.
  6. Once the OS is up, reconnect your HDDs.
  7. Enjoy running Windows XP in AHCI mode.

Good luck!
Fernando

Fernando:

Thank you for your very clear instructions. I am making a fresh copy of my XP Pro (SP3) original installation disc to use for integration of your ā€œ32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQLā€, and burning of a CD for installation this morning. I noticed, as I was reading your guide again in preparation for integration and burning, that you suggest, with respect tot the ā€œIntel RST resp. MSMā€ package, that users ā€œwho are running their SATA HDDā€™s/SSDā€™s in AHCI Mode, the Console is less important, but they can install it as well (disadvantage: prolonged boot time).ā€ If I may want to RAID my second boot installation (especially if I go with Hackintosh), should I install the Console on my XP Pro 32 bit drive this morning?

Again, thank for all of your help!
Virginia