[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

1. As long as you are running your system drive in AHCI mode, the Intel RST Console is useless.
    2. You cannot switch the SATA mode from "AHCI" to "RAID" from within a running OS. So if you should decide one day to create a RAID array containing the OS partition, you should reinstall the OS once the RAID array has been created.

Fernando:

Again, thank you for your help and patience with me. I failed to do something correctly because the XP Pro ISO with integrated driver (the one you specified) won’t
load the driver. I’ve even tried pressing “F6 to load third party drivers”. Could it be a problem that I created the ISO on a WIN 7 Pro computer? If not, do you have any other thoughts on what I might be doing incorrectly?

Virginia

Why are you trying to load the textmode driver via F6, although it has been integrated into the XP CD?
When you are booting off the XP CD with integrated textmode driver, don’t press F6!

Fernando:
I tried loading it several times without pressing F6 and the installation stopped and said “setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system”. I thought maybe I was supposed to press F6 even though the drivers were integrated, so I gave it a try on the next attempt to install. I had double checked the SSD’s connection to the MOBO and was sure it was on SATA6G_1. I Googled “P8Z77-V Pro SATA6G_1”. Apparently I mis-read the manual, because I found several forum references to the white connector as being the SATA6G_1. I just moved the SSD connection from the dark blue connection (apparently Marvel) to the white connection. The installation looked like it was humming along for a good while and then went to a blue screen, with error code Stop:Ox0000007B…
Which MOBO connection should I have the DVD/CD unit connected to? I have it on the white connection which sits on top of the white connection the SSD is on. Could that be causing my problems?
Again, thank you for all of your patience and help.

Virginia

Fernando:
I moved the connection for the DVD/CD drive to the Marvel SATA and Windows is now formatting the drive, so I believe it will complete the installation with your AHCI drivers.
Thank you!
Virginia

It is fine, that you were able to solve this problem yourself.
Please give us a feedback, when the OS is up and running in AHCI mode.

Fernando, the reason why i’m here is because I tried everything, first, sorry for my english, I have a problem, it’s been like 1 month since I try to solve it but there’s no way I can get a solution, I hope you can help me.

I’m trying to install windows XP on my netbook, I currently have win 8.1 and I need XP to get fast response on my computer, but the installer doesn’t detect my hard disk, I have the .ISO installer and tried a lot of things, my BIOS won’t let me change to IDE, it’s not an option, downloading UE windows won’t help me neither, so now i’m trying to install my drivers with my win XP installer using nLite, but the problem is that when I put my drivers, they appear as PNP and I can’t get the TXT mode option, I watched some tutorials on youtube and after they click on their drivers, a windows pops up, where they choose this TXT mode option, but that doesn’t appear to me, so I can’t change the PNP mode to TXT, nLite says something about a txtsetup.oem file but I have no idea where is that, my disk’s name is SAMSUNG HM160HI, the drivers names i’m using (i’m not sure if these are the right ones) are: iastorav.inf and iastorv.inf, i’m not sure like I said if those are the right drivers for my hard disk, that’s what I found on my WINDOWS/inf.

I hope you can help me, thanks.

@ mauknot:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Assuming, that the SSD/HDD of your netbook is connected to an Intel SATA port running in AHCI mode, you have to integrate an appropriate Intel textmode driver package, which contains a file named TXTSETUP.OEM. Additionally you have to highlight the correct Intel SATA AHCI Controller while integrating the textmode driver.
You can find such Intel textmode drivers within the start post of this thread. The latest usable Intel textmode driver is the RST driver v11.2.0.1006.
To prevent a failure of the later XP installation it is a good idea to know the HardwareIDs of the on-board Intel SATA Controller. You can check them by opening the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Win8.1 Device Manager, right click onto the listed SATA Controller and choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".

Regards
Fernando

Thanks for the welcomes. Sorry I couldn’t reply before, I was bussy at the University. Now that I have some time i’ll give it another try.

Before nothing I have to say that I don’t understand about these things, how do I know which driver should I download with its TXTSETUP.OEM for my hard disk?

When I click on “Hard disk unity” Hardward ID it says:

SCSI\DiskSAMSUNG__________HM160HIHH10
SCSI\DiskSAMSUNG__________HM160HI
SCSI\DiskSAMSUNG_
SCSI\SAMSUNG__________HM160HIH
SAMSUNG__________HM160HIH
GenDisk

But in the first page of this post it says "For user with… a) b) c) d) and I have no idea which of those is my case, how can I know? :confused: I don’t really know what’s ICH7R/M, Southbridge and all the technical names on this post. Thanks for the quick reply you gave me.

EDIT:
There is also another device that says “SATA AHCI standar controller”:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&SUBSYS_90C91019&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&SUBSYS_90C91019
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106

Ok, that is what I wanted to know.
It is the HardwareID of the device named "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller".
So you should integrate the 32bit Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL and highlight the said Intel ICH7R SATA AHCI Controller, when you get the nLite textmode driver integration popup window.

heyy… i have an HP G62 361TX laptop. My hard disk got damaged. So, i replaced it with seagate 500gb. the old one was 250gb. i cant install xp… i think its a sata raid driver problem. am i right?
icant install ubuntu or windows 7 either. ubuntu gives error5 and windows 7 stops at extraction process…

PLEASE HELP… THANKS IN ADVANCE…

Thanks a lot for your help, i’ll reply you after I try it. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Just another question just to be sure.
When the windows pops up I just have to highlight that option you say or EVERYTHING? In some tutos I see they highlight everything, but i’m not sure, thanks. Does it matter if I highlight everything?

EDIT2:

Well I just created my bootable USB and it seems to work, at least the XP installer have detected my disk, so thanks a lot for your help Fernando, if i’m having any problem (I hope no) i’ll reply again, but the main problem (the “undetected” disk) has been solved, thanks one more time for your time and your replies. Cheers.

@ sachin:
It is not easy to help you without knowing,
a) with which sort of SATA Controller your new Seagate HDD is connected and
b) with which SATA mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) the Controller is running.

Why not? How did you try it and what happened?

What did you try to extract while installing Win7?

You are welcome!

thnx…

sir, how can i know
a) with which sort of SATA Controller your new Seagate HDD is connected and
b) with which SATA mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) the Controller is running.

Hi,

the SATA mode you can check inside the BIOS and for your chipset it’s HM55 and the hardware id can be checked under running os inside the device manager

@ all users of my guide (= start post of this thread):

Due to the availability of the first mainboards with an Intel 9-Series Chipset there was the need to add the missing HardwareIDs of the brandnew “Intel(R) 9-Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controllers” into the INF and OEM files of my “Universally modified” 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006. Otherwise the owners of a brandnew Intel system would not be able to get Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installed.

This situation has been the occasion for me for a complete revisement of the modded Intel textmode drivers, which I am offering within my guide.
At least I changed the following:

1. addition of all new or missing HardwareIDs
  2. simplification/clarification of various Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller names (to make it easier for the users to differentiate them)
  3. addition of the related DeviceID to all Intel SATA Controllers names (to make it easier for the users to choose the correct AHCI/RAID Controller during the textmode driver integration)

Update of the Start Post (my Guide):
Changelog:
  • refreshed: “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST textmode drivers v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando”
    (now with enhanced support from ICH7R/M up to 9-Series Chipset AHCI/RAID systems)
  • refreshed: “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando”
    (now with enhanced support from ICH7R/M up to 9-Series Chipset AHCI/RAID systems)
  • new: “Universal 32/64bit Intel MSM textmode drivers v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando”
    (with enhanced support from ESB2/ICH6 up to 9-Series Chipset AHCI/RAID systems)
  • new: “Universal 32/64bit Intel MSM Drivers & Software Set v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando”
    (with enhanced support from ESB2/ICH6 up to 9-Series Chipset AHCI/RAID systems)
  • new/fixed links: 32/64bit Intel RST textmode drivers v11.2.0.1006 WHQL

Request:
Although I have tried to do my very best while doing all these modifications, I am not 100% sure, that the “universally modded” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers and complete packages will work for all of you.
That is why I need your feedback (mentioning the sort of your special Intel SATA AHCI/RAID Controller and the driver version you have used).
Thanks in advance!

Good luck with these freshly customized Intel AHCI/RAID drivers!
Fernando

Hi Fernando and thak you for your nice tips, but I can’t figure out from an old server installation.
This is my situation:
I have an old IBM xseries X266 server system that have 2 scsi failed disks… I don’t want to use scsi disks anymore cause are very expensive, so I tried to create a raid 1 with the 2 two embedded sata ports on my motherboard. From my bios information raid 0 is optimal, bootable and in first startup postion. I could not find any detailed specs about chipsets, so I tried to integrate the provided official online drivers with nlite on my windows server 2003 cd with no results, raid is not showed under installation but if I change in my bios from RAID to SATA I can see my two disk during the installation, but is very important form me to make a raid 1 system. So I searched directly on the fisical motherboard to locate what is the right chipset, and I found that this motherboard have 2 different chipset for scsi(adaptec ultra320) and for SATA/IDE/RAID(82801ER ich5r) so I tried to integrate a lot of sata/raid intel package but I can see my raid during installation… and now I found your how to… can you pls tell me what is the right link from the ones listed in your guide? I cannot locate 82801ER ich5r… pls give some tips… thank you

@ silvered.dragon:

Your absolutely outdated Server with its Intel MSM ICH5R RAID Controller is not supported by any of the Intel RAID drivers, which I am offering.
Please have a look into >this< thread at Intel Communities Forum.
The only thing I can offer and attach is an EXE file with the Intel MSM RAID driver v5.5.0.1035, which will be usable for your system. You need a floppy drive to get the driver extracted.

Regards
Fernando

f6flpy32.zip (287 KB)

thank you I will try this and post results

Ok Fernando your attachment seems to be the correct driver cause I can see exactly the name of my sata chip in the list of text mode available drivers during nlite configuration… problem is that I tried to burn several iso of windows server 2003 SP2 or windows XP SP3 but I have the current problem, after windows is loading drivers the system will be normaly show me a black screen and then show the accept contract of windows , but instead the screen remains black and I can’t continue with the installation… maybe is there a different way to integrate such old drivers? I can’t use directly floppy disk cause I don’t I have a working floppy box… I have already managed with nlite several times, this is not my first attempt but I never see this black screen problem in my experience… any tips? I just mounted a virtual floppy and run the intel wizard in your attachment, in nlite I selected the inf file from my virtual floppy and proceded as usualy :frowning: