[Guide] Manual AMI UEFI BIOS Modding

@Fernando :

i told you Samsung 960 pro NVMe SSD work well on legacy mode and boot well on my asus rog strix laptop. i will show you more imgs

check my last image you will see samsung 960 pro have only 2 partition, if you install windows on uefi mode you wil see at least 3 partition.

And no recovery partition. when install windows on uefi mode automatly windows create recovery partition. on last image you can see no recovery partition.

legacy boot 1.jpg

legacy boot 2.jpg

960 pro mbr.jpg

@bosu :
Even if your Samsung 960 Pro really should be bootable in LEGACY mode (I have never seen such report before), I cannot understand, why you invest all your efforts to get the brandnew ASUS notebook named ROG ZEPHYRUS (GX501) bootable by using the absolutely outdated Master Boot Record.
Another question: Which SSD was natively inside the ASUS GX501? Are you sure, that the related M.2 slot supports the NVMe and not the AHCI protocol?

@Fernando :

the Asus gx501gi comes with Samsung MZVKW5

image1 (5).jpeg

@bosu :
So you obviously simply want to replace a 512 GB sized NVMe SSD by a (better) 1 TB sized one.
That should work from scratch by booting in UEFI mode (unless ASUS has blocked such replacement).

Hi. i have a laptop Pegatron A35FE (old bios 209 - w25q32 Windows 7), and found official firmware for A35FE ( Win8), and she size to 8 mb. The official version of
several files: A35W8PG.506.PH ~8.4 mb, A35W8PG.506.CAP ~ 3.2 mb. How to prepare the firmware for the TL866 programmer, and is it possible? Is it possible to transfer dmi data
from an old dump (w25q32bv 4 mb) to a new dump (w25q64bv 8mb). Flash I already ordered (w25q64bv) in a Chinese store.
i prepared an old dump of the programmer, and a new one

A35new_official.rar (2.17 MB)

@alex0506 - what is the LAN MAC ID on this system?

Hi!
lan: 4C:72:B9:63:9C:9A

Thank you, found three instances all in same module, two of which may be part of UUID/Serial etc. Standard DMI data is unpopulated per Asus usual (SN12345678901234567), but I know they often use UUID or DTS key that’s part LAN MAC and SN
Can you check with AIDA64 (Computer, Summary at bottom - DMI info) and see if you find valid info for UUID and SN, if yes post or PM it to me, thanks. Also, please check front and back of board, as well as side of 24 pin, and top/bottom of PCI/PCIE slots for stickers and send me images of all that in a zip
Thanks!

Hi, i found the stickers behind the laptop and under the battery, and another one with pсi ddr3

Thanks for the images, some might help. Seeing the yellow sticker on ram reminded me, sometimes there is a sticker under the ram slots too (Remove ram), can you check that easily, if yes please check.
Also, if system still running, please run this command and send me image of output (For UUID) >> wmic csproduct get uuid

Hi!
i looked under the memory strip, there is only a small square sticker (ami aptio …) - it probably is not needed. There is also a dmi aida log, and a log after - wmic csproduct get uuid.

I know the Aptio sticker you mention, it’s just BIOS branding sticker, gold or holographic correct?
Thanks for UUID report, you have same UUID I do (Null/void 23456789 type entry), thus UUID not used in this system. I have all necessary info now, and will make you BIOS tonight.

*Edit @alex0506 - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…210549539435706

Hi!
Thank you for your work, and for the time spent on me. I had to wait for the arrival of the chip (w25q64bv) from China, which should already be in place. The results will be reported immediately.
Thx!

You’re welcome! Hopefully all goes smooth when you replace (Soldering)!
For W25Q6BV CH341A software 1.30 probably best, I use that for W25Q6FV and select W25Q6BV instead for that chip so actual W25Q6BV should work perfect

Hi!
Today finally flashed bios. The laptop was loaded normally. Tomorrow will try to test under load. Posted bios screenshots - I’m interested in unlocking the
menu. Is it possible to unlock this bios?
Thank you for the excellent work!

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

4_not-opt_default&reboot.jpg

5_not-opt_default&reboot.jpg

@alex0506 - You’re welcome, good to see you got new BIOS soldered on and working without any issues! Yes, I think we can unlock this BIOS!
Please tell me which two new tabs this BIOS enables for you, so I can know if string is going forwards or backwards, then I can hide all the limited stock menus you have now and replace with all the advanced ones.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…026787495369989

You can flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f -A35W8PG.506FDPad-M.bin (May need to rename, unsure if long names give issues with FPT or not)
I also include same change done with second file, but that one I fixed stock/OEM checksum issue, if you want to test you can, if it works that is good we should fix anyway but they have this error in stock so I left as it is previously.
If FixCoreChecksum file OK, let me know, I will use that moving forward with rest of BIOS unlock mods

Hi!
Both files are working, but I did not see any changes. In the security section after the flashed, the “Secure Boot Management” item appears. After optimizing the settings and reboot, this item disappears. This refers to normal firmware and moded.

P.S.The first screenshots (7 pieces) in the previous post were made immediately after the flashed, and were not used Optimized_defaults & Reboot. I forgot to do it.

1_only-flashed-not-load-opt-defaults.jpg

2_load-opt-defaults-and-reboot.jpg

boot.jpg

@alex0506 - Good fixed checksum is OK too, that would be the ideal BIOS manufacturer should have fixed before posting too. So no new main menu sections?
Please try these two now, try both even if one shows new menu, let me know outcome of both, any new main menu sections or not, like second advanced or two boot sections etc.
We’re only looking for new sections not settings changes or anything like that so quick glance to see is all you need. Yes, always load optimized defaults after BIOS flash.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…618321804833117

flashing both dumps - no changes found

@alex0506 - sorry, and thanks for quick report back. Are you flashing using FPT? I might not be able to get it sorted for this BIOS You can change any settings you want in AMIBCP 4.55, just can’t see them in BIOS if I can’t figure out.
New try - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…930426080323719