[Guide] Manual AMI UEFI BIOS Modding

I figured, i read the page but didnt see any guide on how to use it, could you direct that to me?

Thanks

Edit: Looking to update raid rom to 14x from 13.1

Zitat von PhatAgent im Beitrag #41

I figured, i read the page but didnt see any guide on how to use it, could you direct that to me?

I am afraid, that such guide is not yet available.
You may ask CodeRush for help. because he is the developer of the UEFITool.

Zitat von PhatAgent im Beitrag #41

Recently I have asked CodeRush as the developer of the UEFITool, if he would like to write a guide about the usage of his tool and he promised to do it, when he has the needed time.

@ all AMI Aptio V BIOS users:
Update of the Start Post
Changelog:
  • new: Chapter "Modding of an AMI Aptio UEFI V BIOS" with a short guide about the replacement of an EFI BIOS module by using CodeRush’s UEFITool.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ all AMI Aptio V BIOS users:

Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• completely updated: Chapter “Modding of an AMI Aptio UEFI V BIOS” with a short guide about the replacement of an EFI BIOS module by using CodeRush’s UEFITool.

I hope, that it will be useful until CodeRush will present his own guide within a separate thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

There is problem with the Aptio V guide. When you use UEFITool, you either replace the body of PE section with an .efi file, or you replace the entire GUID with a .ffs file. The reason for this is that the ffs is a container for sections and has the header where you can see that GUID, while the PE section (or any section) can only make sense in a ffs and has a small header on its own, with size and extra data on a few special sections. To make things a little clear, an .efi file is an executable with a PE header and structure, it can be opened with any PE tool for inspection. The simplest way to determine if you have an .efi file is to look for the signature 4D5A in the beginning, PE pointer in 0x3C-0x3F and PE signature at that pointer. The easiest way to determine if you have a ffs file is to check the first 0x10 bytes (it should be random bytes) and the byte at offset 0x17 should be F8 - most common, or 07 - less common; other values are only transitional.

If you do plan or need to use UEFITool, replacing the body of a section is more than recommended: the file is left in its original structure, the compression method is not changed, the header or dependencies are not affected. The only inconvenient I would see in this method is when the UI has a specific name like IntelRaid12701936 and you simple want to avoid any confusion between original and modded file. The ffs replacement is more intended for MMTool (forced in fact), while for UEFITool is needed only when you plan on patching other sections than PE.

You can’t normally use UEFITool for ROM replacement. The only exception is with ROMs in freeform sections or raw sections or raw files, where you can use “replace body”, but it requires you to know where it is, what it is, which will put you above the necessity of a guide. So that leaves us with replacement of EFI drivers. The simplest and safest way is to use the replacement of PE section, with .efi files that are already offered in a separate thread. For a “replace as is” of a GUID it would require the user to know what a header is, how to check it, how it would compare with the file in respect of properties and dependencies… In other words, it would be used by users who aren’t in a need of a guide. Under NO circumstance use the “replace as is” on a section. This might work if you are in a hurry and you simple patch a byte or two, with no size change, but it is dangerous otherwise. Especially the recommended action in the guide is dangerous, as it is replacing a section with a whole file. Luckily, UEFITool can detect such changes when it re-opens the file, but will a regular user know how to read the warning messages? The rule of thumb should be to replace as little as possible and target only what you want to change.

@ lordkag:

Thank you very much for your comment and advices regarding my guide (start post of this thread).
Since you are absolutely right, I have just re-customized and simplified the UEFITool part of my guide and hope, that everything is clear and correct now.

Theoretically possible to edit the microcode of the processor and to amend the bios asus p8z77-v LK(3570K no VT-d) to activate vt-d . I read an article where they activate vt-x, maybe then you can?

@ multiplexer:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I never tried such sort of manual BIOS modding, I cannot answer your question.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

this is my section rom, is different from the guide, I have EVGA x99 classified:

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted guide removed (to save space)

@ pipes80
The only difference in the compression section.
Extracts files one by one "Extract as body" from section Freeform, look and "Replace as body" on the dates.

If I replace as is is not same?
I can replace cpu microcode with uefitool method?

"As is" - replace the entire file with the sections that you need to collect.
"As body" - only replaces the file.

Yes.
If this is difficult for you, say what you need version will do.

"As is" - replace the entire file with the sections that you need to collect.
"As body" - only replaces the file.

Yes.
If this is difficult for you, say what you need version will do.

I want try the file have add

there is a photo where i have try information is that section to change cpu microcode…sorry for my bad english

If you do not know what you’re doing, it’s better not to. You can spoil BIOS.

Not so simple as before. The file with the microcode must add the correct section MPDT, and then only replace. In your case MPDT_BOOT_YES. This can be seen in UBU, in updating the CPU microcode.

If you do not know what you’re doing, it’s better not to. You can spoil BIOS.

Not so simple as before. The file with the microcode must add the correct section MPDT, and then only replace. In your case MPDT_BOOT_YES. This can be seen in UBU, in updating the CPU microcode.

nobody can help me? or make see a guide?

I do not master writing manuals and guidelines. Make a modification for you without problems.

@ all AMI Aptio IV BIOS users:

Update of the Start Post
Changelog:

• completely updated: Chapter "Modding of an AMI Aptio UEFI IV BIOS"

• new:
    • Guide about how to extract an EFI module
    • Guide about how to replace an EFI module
    • Guide about how to insert an originally not present EFI module

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have tried to manually update the EFI RST part of the latest BIOS file using UEFITool. I use the Efi Module Intel RST(e) EFI "RaidDriver" v14.6.0.2285 GUID 91B4D9C1. When I try to flash the BIOS using the modded file get an error that says invalid file. Gigabyte GZ-Z170X-Gaming5. Tried with dos eifliflash.exe as well as Q-Flash.

How did you do it?
By the way: The UBU tool is able to update the Intel EFI "RaidDriver" module of the latest BIOS Z170XG5.F3 as well. I just have tested it.

I did it manually by replacing the pe32 part. I followed your guide to the end. Tried with ubu as well. Also get Invalid BIOS error. UBU says that I have an APTIO 5 BIOS. Does ubu work on this bios?
Edit: Just tried updating efi rst using UBU. It shows up as the right ver when checking modded bios. However get Invalid BIOS file error when flashing (DOS & QFlash).
Edit2: Tried using @BIOS. Get BIOS file is incorrect error.