[Guide] Manual AMI UEFI BIOS Modding

Hi Fernando
I realy need your help!
I have 775 System with Xeon E5450 CPU and Asus P5QL-VM EPU. These motherboard had Intel G43 Chipset.
I realy had trouble to overclock my motherboard and i think the problem is on bios module "JumperFree". When i put above 344Mhz the system cannot boot. The settings is correctly. I have experience overclock on other motherboard. i Add CPU id for run Xeon.
My question is, it is possible to delete "JumperFree" module and insert "Ai Tweaker" from other motherboard?
I put two bios files to compare.
Best regards!

bios.zip (1.17 MB)

@ Hogo Menezes:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I have never tried to modify any System BIOS module, I am not able to answer your question.

Hopefully you will get some informations fom a Forum member, who knows more about these system modules than me.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Not that it matters, but I can get the UBU tool to mod the RAID driver on a Aptio V. I replaced the file in the IRST folder with new RAID, and checked it with UBU and hex.

Here is before -

Orig UEFI.jpg

Here is after mod

Orig mod RAID D.jpg

Here it is UBU tool reopened -

reopened after mod.jpg

Not that it helps, because with UEFI or UBU I can't get the flash not to fail because I can't remove header, I sure hope we get a tool soon.

@ odiebugs:
There are at least 2 things, which I do not understand:
1. According to your signature you have a “new” Z97 mainboard, but you write about an AMI Aptio V BIOS. Which Z97 mainboard has such BIOS?
2. Your pictures show, that you have used the UBU v1.41.1, which natively doesn’t offer the Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver modules v14.7.0.2341. Nevertheless you obviously got it inserted into your BIOS. How did you manage that?

Will update profile, I have a ASrock Z170 extreme 7+ now also. Will be testing the Samsung 950’s in RAID soon.

In the UBU tool folder are the modules, all I did was over write the OROM and EFI RAID Driver with the newest 14.7. But it didn’t work on the OROM, but it did replace the EFI, I also opened up the BIOS.BIN that it makes and extracted the RAID Driver with MM tool and confirmed that it was replaced with 14.7.

I have tried to delete every line with word Capsule with MM tool. Using the UBU tool and UEFI tool does not work removing header so I can mod the files to new RAID but always get secure flash fail.

ASrock Z170 extreme 7+ BIOS version 2.0. This BIOS image does not contain a protective capsule header. Perhaps Asrock changed protection.

What ever they did it’s PMO , lol

I noticed that the UEFI tool does not show a capsule header, but I assumed the tool didn’t see new one in Aptio V.

Replacing EFI with my GUID and header - as anyone can see it throws error for DOS signature -

orig U tool  raid in.jpg

Now when I use Dieter's header removed EFI there is no error and the rebuild is ok and the old body is not left behind, but still get secure flash fail-

orig U tool  raid in no head.jpg

I have tried all three tools, EFI with header and without, tried using replace as is, extracted and tried to overwrite, even tried to use UBU after using UEFI tool and always get secure flash fail.

Looking to update CPU microcode via UEFITool for ASUS X99 mobo. The UBU tool cant modify asus bios

Is there a specific GUID i should be looking for? MMTOOL has the CPU patch tab but obviously it errors out if trying to save a bios(asus bug i suppose)

Not sure where to find the microcode within here…

Thanks

@ odiebugs and @ PhatAgent:
According to my knowledge only CodeRush will or may be able to solve your problems.

@ CodeRush:
Can you help odiebugs and PhatAgent?
By the way:
Meanwhile there are a lot of users, who are awaiting eagerly a complete guide about how to use your UEFITool. Some months ago you had mentioned, that you will do it, when you will have the needed time. Is this promise still valid? When can we expect your guide?

Figured it out partially. I found the correct keys in volume 3 and 4. I extracted them and the size is 63kb. In that 63kb raw file there are two CPUIDs, one for server parts and other normal haswell-e. Problem is i cant open this file up to replace the individual haswell-e microcode. Ive replaced the 63kb with just the new microcode update 30kb and flashed the bios. But it wouldnt post, Im assuming its seeing that the CPUID of one is missing/and or size mismatch.

Just waiting to hear from him to see where to go from there.

Posted another reply in response to him talking about X99 asus New: AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool v5 now available (6)

Or maybe a guide for updating microcodes is on the previous page? Start >here< and then read >my reply<.

I did that guide and successfully updated the microcode, thanks!

I’d like to fully update my Asus Z170-Deluxe bios, I need some help more, plz…
I updated all UBU can do, manually added matching AHCI OROM module and the vbios (with transfered settings).
Now I think that I just miss the MEI firmware (not the one for FWupdate, but the one with the header): right?
I’d need an updated GBe region (I have 0.7), do someone has a recent one to share? What about MAC address? May I just edit it via hex editor?
Maaaaaaany thanks!

Which AHCI ROM module of your Intel Chipset mainboard BIOS did you update?

Sorry, I was thinking to something else… SATA OROM…

Since there is no Intel SATA ROM module available, I suspect, that you meant the Intel RAID ROM module.

SataOrom, legacy raid for non UEFI

So I tried to mod the bios of my X99A Godlike MSI motherboard and I was able to change 0x13 offset to ‘08’ however offset FFE0c8 was already at the recommended values. I ran Ubu next and upgraded the CPU microcode to 36 but it wiped out the Xenon cpu microcode not that I will ever need it. So I went ahead and manually copy past the 36 cpu microcode in there so not to lose the 2nd entry. Next I tried to update the raid roms however Ubu only updated the efi module and left the orom version alone. So I copy pasted again the 14.8 into the 13.1 rom module I found with EUFI tool but not sure if checksums or anything need to be corrected in those files. Anyhow Ubu correctly identified my updates as I had intended but before I flash it are there any considerations?

Thank you

Edit: uploaded my mod if someone can check it for correctness?

mod_bios.zip (5.72 MB)

You misunderstood my advice: you either use UEFITool and only change the attribute, the rest is fixed by UEFITool; or you start with a temp file were you do the same steps with UEFITool, but then you just port the changed values to your good file. UEFITool is removing the trampoline from the pad file and it is placing it in the zero vector of boot volume, which is the proper thing to do. But then again, this is AMI, their tool is not aware of basic stuff like fixed attribute or proper OROM replacement: who knows if they hard-coded that address for trampoline? Better stay safe and copy those two values. But if you are using UEFITool for other replacements (which you are forced due to buggy MMTool), that trampoline is removed either way and it is difficult to re-add it and fix the checksums on your own.

For your current situation, just flip the attribute of VTF and do the rest with UEFITool. One other thing you should do is change offset 0xDF0021 from B5 to BD, due to microcodes relocation. The rest seems OK

MSI_X99-A.png

Ok thanks for the advice. Was still wondering though if I copy paste raid oroms are there any checksum corrections to be made if length of two files changes as there was a header I noticed preceding the Intel roms. Will change the value though as you suggested.

Thank you