[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

Hello Guys, When i generate my Cloverstick and go to open this folder -> \EFI\CLOVER\Drivers\Off - HERE ARE ALL FILES IN ROOT FOLDER LIKE “Nvmexpressdxe.efi”, I GOT NO FOLDER “DRIVERS”.
MY CLOVERSTICK Dont got 64 DRIVERS

My settings screen shot -> https://gyazo.com/a4c413dde1578f06cbeff7080e5e8e98

MOBO -> m5a78l-m/usb3 -> Last Bios Update Ref. 2015.
Proc -> FX 8350 Black edition
16 Gb DDR3 1866mhz -> Hyper Fury Black Edition
Cx 750W Corsair
R9 280 Asus CUII 3GB GDDR5 384Bit.

Trying to do bootlooader for M2 Nvme Kingspec 2280/2248 512GB with Adaptor in MiniPcie 2.0.

What i Do ?
Someone can Help me ?

@Diego90Ferreira
Hello if the BDU has not generated the drivers directory than you should try the BDU again and hopefully this time it will work properly. Always use BDU to make clover stick or it will not work the same. Also there will not always be a drivers64 directory because in newer versions the drivers directory is both 32 and 64 therefore just drivers.

ok…got into clover…but how do i select my usb with the win 7 install on it? it gives 3 items at the top…but none work…keep getting error messages

bump bump…

anyone have this particular problem ?

@sjsingle1
How did you make the usb bootable?
Sometimes you have to try a few options the Microsoft preferred option is the Windows 7 DVD to usb tool.
Also please ensure the usb is inserted before booting clover since by the time you get the gui its already completed the scan for devices.

my win 7 usb is bootable…used it to install many a time …the win7 usb is inserted with the clover usb at the time of boot

Thanks for that Guide.
Works on
GA-G41M-Combo with intel dual core
Low Profile PCI-E 3.0 x1 Lane to M.2 NGFF M-Key SSD Nvme AHCI PCI Express Adaptercard
Transcend TS128GMTE110S 128 GB

if anyone got trouble…use different USB-Sticks. I needed 3 trys with 3 USB-Sticks.

@atroesch

trouble booting into clover…or win 7 like me?

no

@sjsingle1
Clover cannot boot all usbs, i note in particular it seems to have trouble with usbs made using Rufus. But i agree with atroesch try again with a different usb.

ok…i have clover on a sandisk…and win7 on a pny…anyone have trouble with pny usbs?

Hi, I got a Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 and a port to PCIe, I want to install windows on the SSD, did everything in the guide, got to the Clover menu, and selected Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot from ESD-USB but when I press enter it says "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…"and then it says "Error: Time out returned from cdboo.efi" when I press any key it goes to black screen and nothing else happens, I have to restart the PC, any ideas to what I could try.
Thanks.

@hecvel
Hi and welcome to the community, I am glad this guide has help you.
The specific issue you are describing is most likely an issue with your installation media ie the copy of windows on your usb. I will state again that clover IS really fussy about the install media, perhaps try a different usb and make a clean copy of the install media.
Goodluck and happy modding.

Thank you for this guide.
I was able to get nvme on an Hp Pro 3500 (3rd gen i5 system). However I did not install windows by having clover boot to the installation media. The bios did not see the NVME drive but I decided to try and install windows on it regularly anyway. I booted the windows install media off usb (without clover | used a yumi created drive) as regular and the windows install detected the nvme drive even thought the bios hadn’t. Windows installed onto the nvme drive no problem but since the bios doesn’t detect the nvme, I was still unable to boot into that freshly made windows installation. I found this guide and followed it up until the point where you have clover boot into the installation media. The first time I fired up the clover usb with the nvme installed I had to manually point it to the nvme windows install iirc. After that, clover was auto booting into that freshly installed windows which was created as you normally would (ie installed w/o clover). I’m just putting this up in case it helps someone. I also upped a vid on YT going over this guide and my experience with the process, can’t post link since I’m new but you can probably find the syntehk channel and just look for the nvme on old motherboard vid (though there really isn’t much info on there other than what’s in this post and guide).

Thank you for this guide.

I would like to add, maybe it will be useful to someone. In General, I managed to clone the system from the old SATA SSD to the new NVMe SSD.

My system:
2600k + z68 ud4, legacy bios f10

First of all, I cloned a sata ssd to an nvme ssd using paragon hard disk manager (any other cloning program will do). And the target nvme ssd deleted the 200MB service partition.

The second thing I did was put the clover boot loader on a separate, unused sata ssd(after the bdu works, all data will be erased), and after the bdu works, I got a 200MB boot partition and an unmarked area that can be used for my own purposes.

Next, you need to prepare a windows boot disk, and you need to do this with a proprietary microsoft utility. Bootable flash drives created using rufus did not work on clover. A boot disk is required to create an efi partition on the target nvme ssd. You need to do this (www. white-windows. ru/ kak-sozdat-zagruzochnyj-efi-razdel-windows-na-gpt-diske-vruchnuyu/) instructions from the section “Creating an EFI partition before Windows”. Instructions are in Russian, so don’t be afraid, and run google translate. Just in case, I will copy the algorithm from the instructions here, in case the site stops opening:
Boot from a bootable windows flash drive ->repair system->console:
“diskpart” command

next:
lis dis
sel dis (nvme disk with cloned windows )
creat par efi size=100
lis vol
sel vol 1 (instead of 1, specify the number that indicates only the newly created efi partition.)
format fs=FAT32
exit

The next step is to restore the boot loader for windows:
bcdboot c:\windows (where “c” is label of part on nvme ssd with windows)

All now clover has to load the cloned system from the nvme ssd.

I want to add that clover needs to be configured for autoboot to work. You need to register the uuid for nvme ssd in config.plist in the “default volume” section. You can view this information in clover itself by clicking “space” on the nvme disk.

@syntehk thankyou for sharing this guide, and I am glad this worked for you. Just a note that the nvme is not supposed to show in bios with this method.

@lexaexe
Hello and welcome to the forums it is worth mentioning that some cloning software can setup the system partition correctly for you during the process. The paragon disk manager can actually do this too. I have used it myself. Note that older versions don’t have the required nvme drivers included. Either way thankyou for sharing your experience. And I am glad to hear that you also got it working.

I have an old HP Prodesk 600 G1 mini that has a PCIE M.2 slot and I have put a M.2 2280 512MB PCIE NVME SSD in it and the BIOS will not recognize it… I am wanting to use it as the system drive but, after loading up, it will not boot from the drive, let alone show it in the BIOS.

I have tried to follow the guide but I’m not sure I did it right… I did follow it to a T

I have used a DVDROM to try to install Windows 10 and an USB drive, to no avail…

Maybe someone has a little more experience can help?

@Wappa
Hello and welcome to the forums.
I am confident we can sort out your problem.
Either this thread or other’s here in the forum.
Firstly I would like to ask the specific model of ssd you have.
I also need to point out that the clover method in this thread will not make the nvme show in the bios as that is only possible by modifying the bios to include the driver. i believe your board already has the driver.
In your instance I would like to start by confirming your hardware and firmware configuration.

@sjsingle1 What worked for me was getting Clover ready and then booting from my media, without Clover.
When my computer restarted, it wouldn’t boot from my NVME drive… so that is when I put in my Clover stick and VIOLA!
It booted and showed my option to boot from my fresh “ready to complete” Windows installation.

After using Clover to boot and choosing my new installation, it defaulted to that installation and boots like a charm!

Good luck!

@sibliss I got it working! cheers

HP Prodesk 600 G1 Mini, i3-4390T @ 2 GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
TeamGroup MP33 512GB NVME PCIe SSD

From my research, the drive IS seen by the BIOS (doesn’t show up, otherwise) and not allowed to boot…
I had previously set it up with a 1TB Samsung SATA SSD and Windows 10 did recognize the drive (the NVME drive) and allowed it to be set up to GPT

I got a microUSB drive (no bigger than your thumbnail) and put Clover on it and followed the guide (and someone else’s added steps) but could not get the installation media (both DVD and USB) with Windows 10 in it to load after booting from Clover.

Nothing I could do would make it work the way the guide said to do it.
Sooo… I put in my installation media and installed the first part of Windows 10
Once it rebooted itself, I got the “No bootable media” error.
I put in my Cloverstick and Clover booted and recognized the set up on my NVME drive… I selected it and it finished installing and has not quit booting since…

And I got it done by 2 AM! :stuck_out_tongue: