[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

@sengork
I suspect you are using motherboard/chipset emulation in clover which is why it can’t detect it, in that instance yes it would be normal behavior.

Thanks is there a way to remove the emulation of hardware? I’ve tried a couple of things but nothing changed so far.

EDIT: I moved to DUET + REFIND method using a Clover NVMe EFI driver:
[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND) (58)

Hi folks,

It was working well in the past using the instructions on the first page, on my old ASROck MB that980DE3/U3S3, and I had some difficulties to replicate that with today’s clover code.
1/ Indeed, drivers do not have x64 extensions. I placed the NWMe driver file in BIOS folder.
2/ Some USB sticks are a bit flaky regarding clover. I used a 16Gb Mtec > No go. Could not see the cdrom image in clover menuy.
Then a 16Gb sdcard in an sd card to usb adapter > I could see the drive / CDROM Win10 image.
As long as you do not see your stick/drive > You need to try an other usb stick.

3/ I could not boot from this CDROM bootable microsoft win 10 ( made using the microsoft tool) , and got an error message like cdboot.efi did not return bla bla bla.

I pressed F3, to display hidden boot entries, and I had additional entries appearing, one on the full left, which is apparently the clover boot itself , and one on the right of the microsoft EFI entry > Boot UEFI external… And that one did boot the Win10 install CD! It seems, at least for my install, that the default displayed boot partition for Microsoft Win10 CDROM is not the correct entry to boot the CDROM. I had to select a hidden one.

I could create a new partition and format it on the NVME SSD.

Then when the Win10 install process reboots, you have to select the your bootable NVME SSD, and then install process continues.

You will have to cleanup the entries list for simple and clean boots in the future, and clover guides will help for that.

For those who wonder how to connect an SSD to a MB like that one that has 2 PCIE 1x slots, and 1 PCI16x slot, I use a 1X to 16x adapter used for crypto currency crunching stations. I use also a cheap NVME 2x stick. This gives almost the performance of a full SATA SSD, that I do not have… I just save a few $$ here. And with that setup, and a FX6300 + GFX1080, I have a cheap and nice little PC to play FS2020 at high graphics settings…

Hope this will help some of you.

@hobi
I talk about the new clover file layout and where to place the nvme driver in my pinned post, see the blue text on the first page.
I suspect the hidden entry you speak of for the cd image may just be the legacy boot option which is hidden by default.
As you have stated and I can’t say it enough you just need to keep trying usb device’s untill you find one that does work ( i guess its what clover has proper drivers for ? )

Hello,

Trying to get this working, so far still trying.

Booting from Clover USB doesn’t detect CD drive, so made a Windows 10 installer USB.

Clover detects installer USB, but once selected goes to the usual “Press any key to boot from CD/DVD…” and hitting anything displays “Error: No mapping returned from cdboot.efi” then hangs

A previous user (win-raid. c o m/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method-39.html#msg113539) talked about the same issue and shared a potential solution (win-raid. c o m/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method-39.html#msg114082) but does not explain how to use the UEFI64 shell command line or how to launch “bootx64.efi”.

Is this on the Clover USB? The Windows Install USB? This is on a 100% legacy BIOS board, x64 system

Any guidance to getting this working would be appreciated

I write down what I am doing:

1/ Connect USB key (target to boot onto it)
2/ Download BDU from cVad website
3/ Launch BDU
4/ Options->Configuration->check "check at startup"
5/ click on "check now"6/ click "ok"
6/ verify that the last version match the last github version of clover (on github it is CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader)
7/ Verify that the correct USB key is highlighted
8/ click on format
9/ confirm

10/ check that about 200Mo (184Mo here) is occupied on the usb key
11/ Browse the key to this directory : EFI\CLOVER\drivers\off
12/ copy file NvmExpressDxe.efi
13/ paste it at 4 locations: (create dir in not existing, all actually existed for me)
Efi\CLOVER\drivers
Efi\CLOVER\drivers\BIOS
Efi\CLOVER\drivers\Off
Efi\CLOVER\drivers\UEFI
14/ create this directories
Efi\CLOVER\drivers32uefi
Efi\CLOVER\drivers64uef
15/ copy the NvmExpressDxe.efi file in each of the 2 newly created directory

16/ I didn’t edited the config.plist at all, I am not sure what to customize and it seems to be made for quicker boot. At this step I would be fine with booting whatever the time it takes.

---------------

I ran into the "no mapping returned from cdboot.efi"
After a search, I found a post from sibliss answering marsIANin1991.

1/ I formated my new ssd to NTFS/GPT and without MBR with the minitool partition software.
2/ I can now see the new ssd in the file browser and access it (empty).
3/ I confirm that booting on the 2nd usb key directly (the one with windows 10 installer) is working and I can reach the windows setup wizard.
4/ I am still running into the “no mapping returned from cdboot.efi”

--------------

I tried

rufus to build my windows installer usb key but it is not identified by clover.
When I go in the shell, the only filsesystem displayed by map command is the one from the usb key that host clover.
I can see the partitions corresponding to both the windows installer usbkey and the nvme ssd (I unplugged other hard drive to prevent errors).
They are displayed as BLKx (where x is a number) corresponding to partitions but not as a browsable file system.

To be honest I run out of idea.

Tomorrow I will try this tutorial on youtube (by ViT)
#How to install windows 10 to #SSD #NVME from your old hdd (on all mainboard not support NVME boot)

Note : I also failed with this tutorial from this forum (see last reply)
[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND)
→ details about my config can be found there

Looking forward to hearing how it goes inarus, I’m running into the same issue as posted above

Working! If you run into the error "no mapping returned from cdboot.efi" I recommend trying the DUET-REFIND method (win-raid.c o m/t3286f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-for-systems-with-legacy-BIOS-and-UEFI-board-DUET-REFIND.html)

Pressed ESC to display the Installer USB, and everything installed and booted like a dream. Even works great with Veracrypt!

It’s been a long battle (unnecessarily long because I hadn’t realized I didn’t own and USB 3.0 and I didn’t understand why my laptop didn’t see clover on any stick despite trying many ways to put clover on it) but I managed to get things done.

I have an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro VN7-571G-764L (in case anyone is looking for this model or a closely related one) and I assure you it works, despite what the Acer forums would have you believe. (Shoutout to a user who posted about this thread! Thank you Niklas2105!!!)

My only issues now are
- whenever I try to restart or even after shut down, I first get the “no bootable device” message. I keep the power button pressed until it turns off, then I turn it on again and I see the Clover interface
and
- in Clover, I get these options, despite the SSD being the only drive connected to the motherboard: Boot Microsoft EFI Boot from EFI, Boot from EFI, Boot from Legacy HD3 and Boot from Legacy HD4. I choose the first one an all is well.

I can live with them, but if anyone has any advice I might feel brave enough to try fixing it. So, any ideas what might be wrong and how I could fix it?

@Gabrielle
Glad to hear you got it working. I believe your remaining issues can be fixed by editing the config.plist check out the various mac forums for how to best fix your issues in clovers config.plist.

@bootmaster400
The interesting thing is that clover is built on the duet method.

Thank you @Plawerth ! I deleted the raw volume of the USB and hid the bootable part.
My computer looks so nice and clean!

[quote="Gabrielle, post:672, topic:31665"] Thank you @Plawerth ! I deleted the raw volume of the USB and hid the bootable part. My computer looks so nice and clean! [/quote]

Thank you @Plawerth ! I deleted the raw volume of the USB and hid the bootable part.
My computer looks so nice and clean!

Большое спасибо Nyctophilia за проделанную работу и такую важную, думаю не только для меня.
У меня материнка ASUS P8H77-V LE с ASUS UEFI BIOS.
Флешку Transcend USB 3.0 32 GB отформатировал с помощью BDU. Получилось с первого раза, проводник увидел содержимое флешки. Вот только адрес \ EFI \ CLOVER \ drivers-Off \ drivers64 \ NvmExpressDxe-64.efi отсутствовал, а был такой: \ EFI \ CLOVER \ drivers \ Off \ drivers \ NvmExpressDxe-64.efi

NvmExpressDxe-64.efi скопировал в папку \ EFI \ CLOVER \ drivers \ UEFI \ и отредактировал \ EFI \ CLOVER \ config.plist как было описано.
В биосе отключил CSM и назначил загрузку с Transcend USB 3.0 32 GB.
Загрузчик Clover-EFI запустился, установочную флешку с Windows 10 увидел, но грузиться с нее не захотел: черный экран висел очень долго, я не стал дожидаться и опять стал редактировать флешку.
NvmExpressDxe-64.efi скопировал еще в папку \ EFI \ CLOVER \ drivers и еще в папку \ EFI \ CLOVER \ drivers \ (не помню название, папок там всего 3 было EFI, Off, и еще какая то, вот в нее и скопировал).

Запустил комп и о чудо - загрузчик Clover-EFI запустился и увидел несколько загрузчиков, первый стоял загрузчик Windows 10.
И вот почему: прежде чем я нашел как этот форум я пытался поставить систему Windows 10 с установочной флешки на мой NVMe диск установленный в PCI адаптер. Тогда начиналась установка Windows 10, но после перезагрузки диск никак не обнаруживался и продолжить установку не представлялось возможным. И я удалил все разделы с NVMe диска.
Теперь когда после загрузки Clover-EFI я запустил загрузчик Windows 10 установка Windows 10 продолжилась и завершилась успешно.

Не мог не написать и не поделиться радостью работы на SSD накопителе 256 Gb Gigabyte, M.2, PCIe 3.0 установленном в Контроллер PCI-Ex16 to 1хM.2, Orico PSM2-X16 на материнской плате ASUS P8H77-V LE с ASUS UEFI BIOS.

Большое спасибо всем участникам форума, и есть за что!

Hi guys, i’m new here and i want to thank you all for the information that you share it is very appreciated!

I am too trying to setup a nvme in a x58 system but it does not seem to work for an unknown reason.

Here the system:
Asus rampage 2 gene M/B
X5650 xeon processor
Nvidia 1060 graphic card
24gb corsair ddr3
Orice pcie to m.2 nvme adapter
970 evo plus nvme
860 sata ssd
Stock clock "until i can make it to work"

I did follow the instruction about setting up a clover bootloader on a usb stick with the new version of the nvme driver and when i boot up the system, it does boot on the clover boot disk and i can see the nvme drive but if i try to do a fresh install of windows 10, the windows installer detect the drive with 0 capacity and can not do anything with it.
The weird thing is when i try to refresh the available drive list in the windows installer, the nvme drive dissapear fron the system, even in diskpart, i does not show up at all.

So after, i tried to do a fresh windows 10 installation on the same 970 nvme drive with a different m.2 fully compatible system and it worked perfectly (those nvme are fast as hell).
Then i reinstalled the 970 nvme back in my x58 system and when i boot with clover, i can boot on the new install of win10 and windows and crash on the login screen.

I tried the same process with the duet bootloader and i am getting exactly the same result.

Anothe thing, that may help you help me out is:
If i boot windows on my sata drive i can see the nvme drive in computer manager and device manager but if i try to access it, the drive dissapear from the system completely.
This is where my knowledge stop, i am wondering if it could be a power management problem of some kind that force the nvme drive to shut down after a delay of some kind???

Oh, i tried another new 970 evo plus nvme drive and anothe pcie to m.2 adapter with exactly the same result.

I think that i am very close to make it work, i spended way too much time on it so far but i’m ready to continue the effort.

So if someone have a clue about what’s going on, a little help would be very appreciated

Thank you all for your good work!!!

Hello everyone.
I had to configure a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo P720 E90 to boot with a Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 SSD harddisk, mounted on a pcie card, so I opened the post:

Modding BIOS su FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO P720 E90+ MI5W

and I tried to follow the path of modifying the bios.
I tried for a month to extract, modify and reflash the bios, making use of the CH341A device. If I connected the device to the Fujitsu motherboard in off line mode I could extract the bios but it had too many errors, as detected by the kind users of the forum who followed the post, while if I tried to work on the bios from the same motherboard, that is with the clip attached to the chip, the system did not even start. At the end I became convinced that, as pointed out by some users and administrators, the operation was very risky, if not impossible, for some OEM motherboards. I sincerely thank those who have helped me to try that method so far.
So I decided to follow the method proposed in this thread, and it was immediately successful!
The only problem is the pharaonic slowness of the boot, of more than two minutes! I tried to set the debug operation to “false”, but it was already set to false, so now I really don’t know what to do to fix the problem.

Does anyone have a link for how to configure the config.plist for windows 10 only? I’ve been fighting for weeks trying to get this to work on an ASRock x58 Extreme, nvme adapter, and an adata sx8200pro.
I can see the nvme drive and launch windows. Everything seemed somewhat fine until I installed my amd rx460 drivers. After reboot, I continue to either get bcd errors or that windows needs to be repaired. I had to manually create the bcd file on the system EFI partition to even get it to boot in the beginning. Possibly due to having additional hdds in the system. I spent about an hour configuring applications and such… Rebooted a couple of times, and then installed my video card drivers. I have managed to get into windows recovery a couple of times, but it will not fix Windows nor will it boot. I’d like for clover to ignore anything not needed for a Mac, ignore and not attempt to add other boot devices to the clover uefi, etc etc. Clover is also doing something to my bios throughout this testing that makes my computer not even post. I have to rest the CMOS in order to get it posting again.
Any advice on how to remove all these gremlins in order to have a simple, 1 Windows 10 bootable machine that doesn’t attempt to hijack everything? I really don’t care how optimal the booting is. I just want to boot Windows 10 on my NVMe drive, and then let Windows take over the rest.
Thank you all in advance!

@Megash0n
Hi please be aware clover is and was built as a mac osx bootloader and is therefore mostly focused around osx and various hardware emulation around osx there is some great information to be found regarding config.plist via the various mac forums, if you do find any great pages outlining the options and what they do feel free to post them back here.
With regard to the various issues you are facing please be mindful of the fact not all pci slots are the same some ports will have a higher priority within your motherboard/bios please ensure your nvme card and graphics are in the correct positions i suggest without pci lane sharing.
Clover itself cannot interact with the bios so if it’s not posting it MUST be an issue with your nvme adapter card or or how your bios sees it, as i mentioned before where it is on the board.
I note the configuration of your board found here https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X58%20Extreme/index.asp i have used an asrock board without to many issues myself.
Typically i only use the nvme adapter cards by JEYI which often have active cooling found on ebay and aliexpress to date i have used many of these without issue, some users here have reported issues with other brands of cards.
Most of the time from windows recovery you will need to run various commands to get windows working again rarely does the automatic thing ever work.

On a side note i suspect you are using bad drivers for your rx460 driver try a program called driver booster it will find the newest and most compatible drivers automatically.

Thank you. I will move the slots around again. In regards to the video card drivers, they were the latest available from AMD last week. It’s not impossible they are causing an issue, but I’m not even getting to the windows logo now. Not sure if a video card driver would do that or not, but I can attempt to start over trying a different version. Maybe I can get lucky with duet/refind on a fresh attempt.

Sibliss, do you know why if I set the "fast" option to "true" the system enters a boot loop?
I am using Clover 5128 installed via BDU.