[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

Mystery half-solved. Advice to everyone with my or similar board: Make sure that in BIOS / Advance options you’re USB 2.0 controller mode is set to FullSpeed and not HiSpeed otherwise it wont boot from stick (don’t ask me why, i don’t know why, tested several times and it simply is). Problem from last post was that my BIOS setup got reset by itself and being that my Chrome restores were also deleted I suspect Win10 had its fingers in it the whole time. Could that be true or its something with board itself? After setting BIOS i got no problems booting to Clover on any stick but at moment still cant get Win install to run from BIOS or Clover while from Win it works normally (shows Win10 logo and locks), will test several more methods and report back. And correction for last post, the REFIND 2020 isn’t clover, it was connecting to leftover Clover from my HDD I’ve got setup while trying direct (no USB stick) boot, no success for now because Win10 made secret backup partition on my HDD and been using it to boot to Win10 on SSD and ignore Clover, will get back to it after I format HDD witch i would like to do old school or from BIOS run Win installation (if that is still possible), of course after i manage to run Win Install All useful advices appreciated.

Hit the wall for now so recap. Even before asking for help here played with Ventoy and had no problem booting to its USB stick unlike Clover from this tutorial or DUET (witch is core part of Clover needed for NVMe and rest considering Hackintoshes and etc.) + RFENDI (Visual shell also used by Clover) from tutorial also from this forum I posted 2 posts ago. Finally figured its in BIOS settings that they have reseted on their own (still no clue why, or Win 10 or something with my CPUs turbo mode) and that catch is ni USB 2.0 controller mode. Clover/DUET wont boot on HiSpeed (480Mbps) while on FullSpeed (12Mbps) boots without problems unlike Ventoy who doesn’t give a flying f*** and boots whenever so it could have something to do with Clover/DUET itself. I used Rufus (3.5p and 3.13) to flash Win install USB both MBR and GPT versions and got them to boot into install over direct BIOS boot (well GPT version got to no UEFI f***-off screen) no mater witch controller mode used (well it maters because FullSpeed mode takes forever) , but trying to run the over Clover goes into black screen for almost 5min and then gives “disk error press any key to restart…” no mater witch version or USB Stick. Any ideas?

Hi . i want install windows 10 in my old SkullTrail (Intel D5400XS) mobo with a Kingston A2000 + M2 to pcie adapter and this loader (tested also with Duet. no sucess)

the problems comes when the windows installer detect the disk. detect the partition, but i get this window and i can’t see how force the installation

diskgenius.com/how-to/img/Windows-cannot-installed-to-this-disk-12.png

the image is for from internet. but is the message (no other like GPT or something)

anyone can help me?

greetings

Hi everyone.I managed to to get an install on Hp Z400 workstation after about 12 hours of trying.So far and have re-installed 3 times just to get a grip on the process.Initially i used Rufus,Unebootin and Balenaetcher to no avail.Thought it might be the flash drives(two). I later picked Wintoflash and succeeded.This is how i did it:
1.Copy the nvme driver to 5 folders-Bios,OFF,UEFI,drivers32uefi and drivers64uefi.
2.Boot PC,wait until the native bios U.I is gone and the clover U.I is about to load. Can tell by the blinking vertical strokes.
3.Insert Win flash.
4.Press F3 to show hidden boot options.Mine had - Boot UEFI external from unknown HD.Set up launched.
Remember every time windows re-boots before completion to do(2.). Prevents native bios from loading windows directly.
I noted that if i disconnected cdrom/dvdrom on writing BDU and the reconnect after install,clover failed to detect ssd and went into a boot loop.Hard disks, raid card had no such effect.
Well i cloned the BDU partition to a resident sata ssd,formatted the remaining partition, re-wrote the original data and hid the partition from explorer by removing the drive letter.
IT works flawlessly,Thanks all contributors.

@sl1pkn07
Hi welcome to this thread,

This error is because you are not booting the installation media through clover the whole point of the clover method is to give windows fake bios data and bypass this error.

Please boot to clover first and then select your installation media from the clover boot menu.

hope this helps,
Sibliss

@swyyt
Thanks for the feedback, i am glad to hear you were able to get it working for you.
Just a note on the installation media i notice you did not use or even try to use the Microsoft media creation tool.
Most users report success booting their usb sticks through clover having created them with Microsoft’s own recommended tool.

Hi. @sibliss
I have already do that. Because if not, the disk is never detected. Only i able to detect it if load clover first.

Greetings

EDIT: done. if load the installer from Clover EFIshell (go to "FSx:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi") works perfect (the message is gone and unlock the installer)

greetings

Tried reading through more of the guides but I just don’t find anything similar to my case. Also some changes on my config don’t do what they’re supposed to.

I’m clueless. @sibliss any idea?

Hi everyone,

I’ve followed instructions and generously-offered advice here as best I can to the letter BUT… I’m stuck with exactly the same dilemma as described in more detail by @asec in Post #689

"Now my problem:
I boot into clover, but i don’t am able to boot the windowsinstallation drive. The option is displayed as “Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot from ESD-USB”. I select it but this ends every time in and error, stating: "Error: Time out returned from cdboot.efi"

Clover USB and Win10pro 64bit install USB (DL using MS media creation tool) were made on same PC as the Samsung 970 EVO-Plus NVMe installed in a generic AliExpress PCIe adapter.

Anyone found a solution to this? Unfortunately I don’t tinker with PC workings enough to play with confidence and as I’ve spent a few days now debilitated with frustration over not being able to boot Win10 from this NVMe card, I’m going to have give up soon before it does my head in.

FWIW… I’m in Brisbane if anyone could help me directly.

Hi,
I’m stuck on step 3a.
First: the folder structure is not as written. In my case I have \EFI\CLOVER\drivers\off and not \EFI\CLOVER\drivers-Off\drivers64\ as described
Second: \EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI\ does not exists at all on the BDU drive.

Also, if I boot to UEFI version of Cloverstick she screen get one dash ( _ ) and stops there so only regular boot to it works.

Is it a new version or I’m doing anything wrong?

tnx

@skullmonkey
The Folder-structure of BDU has been changed since a lot of versions, but the guide has not been corrected!
Have a look at my posts #333 & #335.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the images has expired. Any chance for re-upload?
tnx

No, I haven’ t the pictures anymore.
You should be logged in to see the pictures; if I click on them I get the pictures.
Anyway I give you the links:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

Thanks! Much appreciated! :smiley:

Just for me to be clear and not hitting a dead end: I want to boot motherboard that dont have NVMe slot on it. Instead I put PCIe to NVMe adapter with disk on it in one of the PCIe slots.
This is the right spot/solution for that, right?

Yes, it is!
But do not expect a big speed improvement, if you do not have a free PCIe 3.0x4 slot.
At the beginning of my test I put the card in a PCIe 2.0 slot and the speed was not quite more than with a normal SATA-drive.

Go a page back or so and look at my benchmarks… Speed fault my not be because of what you think… I get double the score of a SATA ssd on a gen3 x1 slot ONLY when the drive is a slave tested from the system booted from a SATA drive

Not to beat a dead horse, when you say you don’t have the same problem have you looked closely at your 4k benchmark scores? Sequential seems normal, my 4k suffers severely

Alright, I guess I’m in need of help here … been banging my head against this all day yesterday.

First, I installed Clover to a USB stick using BDUtility v2.1.028.
That worked fine, and the stick is bootable.
However, keyboard is not working upon boot.
I switched it to using boot7 instead, and now keyboard works … but it resets before getting to the Clover menu if I have a CD drive connected!
Alright, I can live without a CD drive for now…

I installed the Nvme driver to both the BIOS and UEFI directories, and made a GPT USB stick with Windows on it.
Booting to clover, clicking any of the device icons just resets the machine.
But if I drop to the EFI shell, I see fs0 (clover stick) and fs1 (windows installer).
manually running fs1:EFI\BOOT\blah does indeed run the Windows installer.
And Windows allows me to install on the NVMe drive (it doesn’t if I don’t boot through Clover) - success?

Then comes the first reboot … and it gets me into Clover again.
Still any of the device icons lead to a reset.
And dropping to an EFI shell still only sees fs0 and fs1.

Do I need to do something for it to see the NVMe drive?
Any EFI commands I can use to diagnose if it sees the drive?
(I know the Nvme driver was loaded, but how do I know if it found any devices)?

Map -r in efi shell will map the nvme drive after loading the driver

I don’t think it’s even seeing the drive.

From digging into bdmesg.efi logs, I see that it DID see the WD SN750 NVMe card during boot:
1:486 0:000 PCI (00|05:00.00) : 15B7 5006 class=010802

It also loaded the NVMe driver:
1:517 0:000 Loading NvmExpressDxe.efi status=Success

But it doesn’t see any block devices on it:
6:313 0:006 === [ ScanVolumes ] =============================
6:313 0:000 Found 2 volumes with blockIO
6:313 0:000 - [00]: Volume: PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x9,0x0)\Pci(0x0,0x0)\USB(0x80,0x0)
6:315 0:001 Result of bootcode detection: bootable unknown (legacy)
6:315 0:000 - [01]: Volume: PcieRoot(0x0)\Pci(0x9,0x0)\Pci(0x0,0x0)\USB(0x80,0x0)\HD(1,MBR,0x0D4289F4,0x3F,0xECDFC1)
6:317 0:001 Result of bootcode detection: bootable unknown (legacy)
6:323 0:005 label : BDU
6:323 0:000 This is SelfVolume !!
6:323 0:000 Searching volumes for latest nvram.plist …

I also tried debugging the “CD drive present = crash” issue … by enabling Boot/Debug = true in the config file.
But it doesn’t create any log file (and boots just as fast as before).