[Guide] Remove UEFI Image from NVIDIA vBIOS

I have a Dell R210ii (Many 11th Gen Dell servers have the same issue) that isn’t able to boot with any GPU containing a UEFI image in the vBIOS. These are the instruction I used to fix my issue. There may be better methods, but this worked for me. Use at your own risk, if you’re not comfortable recovering from a bad flash if (READ! WHEN) something goes wrong, I suggest you don’t proceed!

Tools You’ll Need

HxD (Or Any Hex Editor You’re Familiar With)
https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
nvflash (32-bit OS) or nvflash64 (64-bit OS)
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-nvflash/

1) Read GPU Bios

2) Open filename.rom with HxD

3) Search for the ASCII "PCIR" <without quotes> One of the results will look like this…
- Note the 55 AA on the line above in the first column and the block of FF FF directly above.

4) Select from 55 AA down to the end of the next block of FF FF (Most likely towards the end of the ROM)

5) Write down the Selected Length from the bottom of the window. (19000 in my example)

6) Delete the selected area. (You’ll get a message that the file size will change)

7) Place your cursor at the very end of the file, then select Edit -> Insert Bytes

8) Now we’ll pad the file with FF of the same byte count we deleted earlier. (Again you’ll get a message that the file size will change)

9) The Mod is now done. Save the file to a new location & ensure the sizes are identical.

10) Flash the modded vBIOS

Good Luck

Thanks for posting this. I tried following the guide using a GT 710 which I got from eBay, turns out it’s a fake according to GPU-Z. Ordered a GT 1030, will give it another try when that arrives.

@wan0net - Fake GT 710?? What are people doing making those? And when did GPU-z start being able to tell user something is fake??
I wouldn’t even think such a thing would be common enough to write in this coding into GPU-z

It might have been because I plugged it into a PC which already had a 1660TI in it and / or wrong drivers, but GPU-Z came up and said FAKE. I might give it another go in another PC, but honestly the GT 1030 would be better anyway.

It’s pretty common. People flash cheap cards faking them as more expensive ones. Ali Express and places like that.

@wan0net what’s your use case for a GT1030 in an R210ii ?

You should still be able to edit whatever card you’ve got. Would make an ideal test subject so you know what you’re doing when your new card arrives.

The box is just actually a Linux desktop running Manjaro - I just wanted HD video.

The bios on the card doesn’t align with what you’ve stated above

3) Search for the ASCII “PCIR” <without quotes> One of the results will look like this…
- Note the 55 AA on the line above in the first column and the block of FF FF directly above.

I don’t have a 55 AA on the line above, or anywhere above in fact.

Again this could also be because I used GPU-Z for the dump rather than NVFLASH (my bad).

@wan0net send me the dump & i’ll have a quick look - it’s possible my guide needs a bit of clarification

https://gofile.io/?c=wQ4yoM

This is what running the dump function of GPU-Z spat out. I can run it through nvflash if that doesn’t work.

Also apparently it’s a GT 730, not a 710.

@wan0net that ROM doesn’t have UEFI image, it’s not big enough either. Which in theory means it should work fine in the R210 as is.

Try dumping with NVFLASH, but if it’s still ~60kb it’s the same situation. Should be at least double that.

I’ve tried it in the R210. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Haven’t correlated them yet.

But after a bit more digging, I worked out that I ordered a GT 730. The BIOS says GT 730. But the chip is a GF 119. Which means it can’t be a GT 730, it’s either a GT 510, 520, or a 710 based on the images I see on the internet.

So this card might just be buggered anyway.

@wan0net Try flashing a GT 520 1GB (assuming that RAM size is correct) got nothing to loose. If you can find the correct ROM for that card (so GPU-Z is happy) I bet it it’ll just work in your R210. None of the GT 520’s have UEFI Images from what I can see. I think your issue is a bad rom, vs incompatible UEFI image.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?arc…r=&model=GT+520

@theunknown
Man, dude, comrade, tovarisch!

U’re totally the best one)

Dell PowerEdge R900 (gen 10, 4cpu xeon 7330/ 32gb) AT LAST works with 3r party GPU (Nvidia palit 730, 1gb, silent), tested OS - Windows 10 Pro. I tried to launch it last 2 months, аnd now I have Nox player on it! It’s amazing!

I have only one reason to reg here - say to u a REALLY BIG THANKS for this solution.

Now I’ll check scheme with VMWare 6 with Win 2016, just for experience)

One more times - THANKS, really u made me happy!

P.S.
Some kind of advice - GPU doesn’t work on loading screen, but starts when OS running up, and first you must to install Nvidia drivers pack manually in windows.

From Russia, with LOVE >)

So, if somebody sometimes will need this info - it can works (vmw shows GPU in a list of devices).
I have somekind of mistake, guess vmw needs to be update, but I haven’t plenty much of time to check it

Thank you for the guide! I’m trying to use a Quadro P400 to enable hardware transcoding in my R210 II to make it into a decent Plex server. I can’t seem to get it to the GPU flashed after modifying it in HxD.

c:\>nvflash64.exe GP107_MOD.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.620.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2019, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)...

Adapter: Quadro P400 (10DE,1CB3,1028,11BE) H:--:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:0

EEPROM ID (9D,1253) : ISSI IS25WQ040 1.65-1.95V 4096Kx1S, page

Current - Version:86.07.6B.00.04 ID:10DE:1CB3:1028:11BE
GP107 Board - PG2120500 (Normal Board)
Replace with - Version:86.07.6B.00.04 ID:10DE:1CB3:1028:11BE
GP107 Board - PG2120500 (Normal Board)

Update display adapter firmware?
Press 'y' to confirm (any other key to abort):
EEPROM ID (9D,1253) : ISSI IS25WQ040 1.65-1.95V 4096Kx1S, page

Error preserving Inforom Image.

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

ERROR: PCI Block corrupted 1.OffsetMode is true

I've never used a hex editor so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I found where the block I should remove begins, but I'm unsure about where it ends. There are smaller and larger FF blocks so I'm not sure if I'm going far enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you post screenshots of the beginning & end of the block you’re trying to delete (as in my example), or even a couple different options I’ll confirm for you which is correct.

start.PNG is where I believe you start. end1.PNG is the first full row of FF I find when searching, followed by end2-4.PNG. I can post more if you think it’s farther down the file.

I’ve also created a video showing my process .

Here’s a link to the original saved ROM.

Thank you for your help!

start.PNG

end1.PNG

end2.PNG

end3.PNG

end4.PNG

If you guys can’t get it, let me know I will remove GOP for you and set legacy as last image.

I think I did it! Attached is where I started and ended. Total length was 10800 (which is similar to yours). GPU-Z is now showing UEFI disabled! Before it was checked. I’m at work but I’ll throw the Quadro P400 into the R210 ii tonight and see if it boots!

Here is a copy of my the ROM used for flash my Dell NVIDIA Quadro P400

start1.PNG

end5.PNG

gpuz.PNG

It works! Thanks again :smiley:

ACD727CB-5FD8-423C-BF65-E2E9CBE4D259.jpeg

@brothertax - Great to see you got it all working now and did the mod yourself, good job