[Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM

I was trying to make several backups with different versions of CH341a and in the process , I clicked AUTO and it corrupted the bios. I several backups inlcuing FPT one. I tried flashing all combinations of bios with different CH341A softwares . Verification always fails no matter what I try. Every software recognises the chip as a diferent one. I saw MX25L6406E on the motherboard. FPT identifies as 6473E & so on. I dont understand why verification is always failing no matter which software I try! . I am attaching all the screenshots and backups
https://www.mediafire.com/file/i0d92z8ew8wawt8/bios.rar/file

@dinosnore

Obviously something is not rigthā€¦ didnt ring a bell both leds lighted when no VSB form USB port???
CH341A busted or battery/cmos need to be out.
Assuming all well connected.

EDIT: Theres only only driver for that device, the CH341A works with or not at all, period so nothing to do with driver.
Anyone here will tell u that the device\leds behavior is not normal operation (as prsented in image) and if the SPI is damaged no recovery of corruption is possible, buy one as they r cheap.
Some SPIs due to mainboard design/power we de-solder him from and program it outside.
Theres more 1.30, 1.35, NEO, Flashromā€¦

Ya both LEDS are partially on even if CH341a is not plugged into an USB port

@MeatWar is the vbios linked to the bios anyhow? I was able to boot into the system finally but GPU temps are ramping up like crazy and causing BSOD

Assuming that ur flashed the correct bios and not a mod/altered bios with GPU edited values (vcc/core), i can only mention a need of system thermal verification, thermal paste, cleaned vent/fan.
An incorrect assembly/mount of a system thermal can take to a situation similar (warped and poor surface contact), ur thermal system cooling is very wide, linked (CPU/GPU) and many mount points.

EDIT: I would try and check flashing that dump, just to be sure. With FPT tool if u have unlocked/access to spi bios regions.
Careful wot u flash with FPT, flash the correct region only not the whole SPI if not a complete dump, else will break again (Ex. No ME region, Gbeā€¦)

@MeatWar I repasted with TF8 and even replaced all the thermal pads just 2 days ago before tinkering with bios. GPU used to stay around 65 even while gaming after repasting.The bios I flashed now is the one backed up with ver 1.29 which always failed verification after flashing. So I highly doubt the integrity of the GPU values. How do I check? I have a stock FTP dump as well (6 MB) instead of programmer dump (8 MB).

Just wanted to make a post of appreciation for this thread specifically, and this forum in general. Recently used the contents here to restore a bricked PB70EF-G which cost nearly $1500 only 2 years ago. The laptop sat idle for weeks before I found a working BIOS image and proper flashing steps (here).

Iā€™m also considering myself very lucky because I had no issues with my black-PCB programmer which (I canā€™t share a link, newb status) according to Post #82 in this thread could have fed 5V to my chip and fried it.

Either my chip is resilient or I am very lucky? Everything worked as it should have. Either way the laptop was flashed back to life after renaming the provided BIOS file and Iā€™ve been successfully computing for over a week now.

@MeatWar I tried flashing that FPT dump. GPU issues still persists. On top of that it gave me an error saying GBE partition missing so ethernet is borked. Any idea how to solve this issue?

There is no Gbe Region in all ur good/bad backups or in last bios for the Aorus X5V7.
Out of solutions for ur mess with GPU, about the Gbe partition, address it to Plutomaniac (his expertise) with a new post request on the Intel ME section of the forum, not private messages, good luck.

is it possible to flash a 1.8v chip with a 3.3v programmer (ch341a) if I disconnect the VCC ? so I use the power of the board.
( i have a clip )

@MeatWar I found another dump in a forum https://www.mediafire.com/file/z6z465zckn9v1vi/out.bin/file. Can u plz check whether it has GBE partition? If yes how can I use it to edit my bios? Last but not least can I tag plutomaniac when creating a thread saying u forwarded me !

Do u have a green or black programmer? Green is 3.3V but black is 5V. So I think u can take a risk with green one but not black one. It also depends on the chip if it can tolerate high voltages or not. Better use a 1.8 adapter to be safe than sorry later.

Thereā€™s one thing I still didnā€™t understand: if I want to make a clean flash of my SPI EEPROM, may I just use the bios.bin extracted from the CAP file I download from the producer website? (Sure, Iā€™ll have to put the MAC address, serial etc.)

Hello
I have a problem with Ch341A from time to time I have no contact with CH341A
my chip is to write W25Q128FVSIG
CH341A software package is the 1.18
ASProgrammer 1.41

Thanks very much

how can you modify the CH341A?

"no contact with CH341A" with windows or chip ?
check usb cable or chip connection

when plugin with windows it should instant reconise the device

For everyone interesting, there are many other software for CH341A.
My favorite is Neoprogrammer, search in google for it.
It support much more chip than stock software.

Do u have a green or black programmer? Green is 3.3V but black is 5V. So I think u can take a risk with green one but not black one. It also depends on the chip if it can tolerate high voltages or not. Better use a 1.8 adapter to be safe than sorry later.

black, I was never aware of this 5v issue, flashed already 35 chips with it without checking 5v or 3.3v never did a 1.8 offcourse.
I will do the mod, thx for the eye opener.

For 1.8V you need a voltage adaptor, that fits into the CH341A.
I have the black version with this 1.8V adaptor (from Aliexpress).

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Haf3d9134d3b8ā€¦EPROM-Flash.jpg
Source: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001269223334.html or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001347399521.html

There there three
The newest BIOSā€™s from B550 MSI have Level 3 write protection.

When I try to disable it, then read it, it shows FF, how do I disable the write protection?

Asprogrammer says Iā€™m connected and flashed the chip without saying write protection might be enabled when I write all three registers to 0, then hit the write remove icon.

But after I flash when I read the chip it shows all FFs. :frowning:

Am I doing this right, this version of Asprogrammer has an option for my chip and takes about six minutes to flash it.

Never mind, there is a broken wire on the SOIC clip. :frowning:

so does this mean it canā€™t be programmed unless the chip is removed? level 3 protection