Hades Canyon NUC8i7HNK Bios Problems

OK I’ve had this unit from new and every year a strip it down and clean it. this is the third year doing that but this time i put it all back together and it wouldn’t boot into the operating system it stopped no bootable disk or hardware change. the only way i can get it to boot into windows now is with fast boot enabled in the bios. my bootable drives are M.2 nvme. i use one as storage and the other with he OS. it seems the OS wasn’t being seen, so i had to install windows again onto the m.2 drive that is being seen but i still cant boot it without fastboot being enabled. can anyone give me any advice on whats happening.

Why do you think that’s firmware related?

You stripped the machine down, so you had it opened and at least partly dismantled it. There may be mechanical damage, damage by electrostatic charge, os is starting when installed on a still seen drive and the machine is booting, you still can go into bios settings.
In addition it only boot with fastboot, leaving out some hardware- initializations that possibly no longer work.

thanks for the reply , it booted before without fast boot enabled . my original OS wasn’t being recognised hence i had to do a clean install of windows on the other M2. drive but this is still not booting without fast boot being enabled. everything that is connect to the unit is working as before i just cant understand why i cant boot without it being in fastboot mode. i read on another thread here something about his OS wouldn’t boot Intel Nuc Hades Canyon HVK BIOS no POST - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Requests - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com) and i was wondering is it something related.

From the linked thread:

Sorry, can’t see a connection here.

You might dump your firmware, check the static parts of the firmware against a stock bios update, clean the ME and empty NMRAM / start with an empty NVRAM.

That’d be a lot of work and learning for you, but it most probably won’t help.

could i run that bios file on the other thread on my machine ? that clears the NMRAM. also ive been looking at many threads and there seems to be a bug or problem that windows 11 when installing doesn’t install the boot process in order.

Could you tell us what bios version are you running? I used to have issues with certain bios versions not fully supporting certain NVME brands, later bios updates fixed this problem. Have you tried your NVME in the other slot? Lastly plug out you usb devices as sometimes these NUCs have problems booting up having certain devices connected in certain usb ports. Once the machine has booted up plug all your devices in and try a restart. I saw you quoting the POST about my bios problem, loading my file will cause issues to your ME management which will delay boot even more.

i updated the bios to see if i could resolve thisproblem im having. i know what you mean about usb’s connected stopping it booting i found out that my WD element drive stopped it from booting when i got the removable drive , so i had to configure the bios to not detect port 4 from detecting the WD elements drive that’s connected to the PC. but this was before all this happened. im running HNKBLi70.86A0070 bios upgraded it from the last one. ive got an epgu connected also on the thunderbolt port but ive disconnected all these before to try and get it to boot without using fast boot and it still wont boot without fast boot.

thanks for the chat guys problem solved . i reinstalled windows again with defaults in the bios , then connected everything once windows had finished updating then attached the WD elements drive back and disabled that port from detecting at boot. its an 18TB drive , before i had that drive i had a smaller 6TB drive and that use to boot with no issues.

Thanks for the feedback.