Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS?

@Sleinous
Do Load Defailts in BIOS, save and reboot.
Make a screenshot of ThrottleStop (main window) with running TS Bench.

@DeathBringer Will do, just waiting on 65w tdp heatsink & cooler for 7060M first - don’t have one for my 65w board so can’t power it up yet.

Here is the MMTool (.0024 mod version) I used and the edited BIOS I made to test. I did not see any issues, opened your dumped BIOS (FULLDUMP.BIN) and at CPU patch tab add/removed in my normal way (extract all but last uCode, insert my target first ucode, then remove last original, and then insert all the rest I want to insert)
Maybe using 5.02.0025 was the issue? I never tested that, if you want me to try with .0025 let me know and I will see if I find anything funky Actually, I just tested before posting this, also no issues with .0025 version either! So not sure, maybe something you are doing?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…604923479872577

@Lost_N_BIOS "(extract all but last uCode, insert my target first ucode, then remove last original, and then insert all the rest I want to insert)"
I think I just realised my error, when I did this I deleted all but FIRST uCode in the list, then I added ALL uCode and THEN deleted FIRST (original) uCode

I think I made a right mess of things !
What i’ll do is try this out when I dump the 7060M 65w TDP BIOS (the 2nd board) and will report back - heatsink & fan arrives in about 2 weeks from now.

That shouldn’t mess things up either, but I guess maybe it could, and that may be why I’ve ingrained into my process over the years to make myself do it the way I do?
Nope, just tested that. Delete “second” one, since there is only two, add all four I wanted, then delete first one at top to remove all original, no issues?

I do think now that we’re discussing this, in some older BIOS and or maybe just older MMTool, this would happen if not done same way I normally do
Causing wrong dates, file sizes, ucode version info etc, or blank stuff - But none of that here, no matter what I do with 0024 or 0025, no matter how I delete or add etc.

I’ve made new mod with updated microcode - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Un4F_k…W5gOLwaFhWu7_pI
The command to flash:
fptw64 -a 0x1D20000 -l 0xF0000 -f ucode_2020_04.bin

Will this work for the Optiplex 7060 SFF or is it for the 7060 Micro?

@thewkong Yes, unlike some of the older Optiplex series (3020/9020 for example) this BIOS is common across ALL form factors of 7060. Same bios for Micro/SFF/full size
Older models such as 9020 have different BIOS per form factor ‘group’ - if memory serves me correctly 9020M had different bios to 9020SFF

For 7060 you can proceed :slight_smile:
Thanks

Just tried this on my 7060 micro with i9-9900t, it works like a charm, thanks so much.

I got this error when I tried to flash my optiplex 7060 SFF. [[File:Screenshot (16).png|none|auto]]

Screenshot (16).png

I followed these steps and successfully flashed into bios. But unfortunately I can’t boot with my i9-9900T ES(QQZ6), maybe it doesn’t support confidential CPUs?

IMG_20200528_225632.jpg

@thewkong You didn’t set the jumper on your motherboard to Service_Mode :wink:
Scroll back to page1 and I show a picture of where this is located on 7060 Micro board, i’m trying to find a picture of it’s location on 7060 SFF board

EDIT : Here’s where I ‘think’ it’s located on 7060 SFF according to best photo I could grab of the board layout :

You should be able to find jumper positions written on the board that tell you where to move that blue jumper in order to enter ‘service_mode’ on your Dell 7060 SFF board.
Don’t forget to move it back to default position once you’ve finished the flash :slight_smile:

================================================================================================================

@laodouya I very much doubt that ES CPU’s will be supported on these boards, i’m not sure where to even find the CPUID for those ES i9 9900T’s

EDIT : I found the following information regarding your CPU - not sure on it’s authenticity though

So it seems to use 906ECh, but i’m unable to find that microcode bin file anywhere online for now, if you have another PC that this i9 9900T ES works in you can dump the BIOS using fptw and we can re-extract the microcode from that dump - unless someone else has a simpler method/knows where to find 906ECh bin

Steps to follow :

Use Intel CSME System Tools v12 r23 to perform dump using fptw.

We’re only going to be using fptw (flash programming tool) - select your OS of choice - in my example WIN64 : Intel CSME System Tools v12 r23\Flash Programming Tool\WIN64<br />
Use fptw to dump your file and run the following command in cmd from your chosen OS folder (in my example WIN64) : fptw64.exe -d 7060SFFdump.bin

-d flag will dump your BIOS to disk

I used the blue connector to short the two pins in the middle and I got a message from Dell security manager. Something about a password

C5471D99-62E2-42D0-8F97-BB37EC7047F4.jpeg

That’s the wrong one :slight_smile: Try the other one, because here you’re using the clear psswd reset which is another jumper for something else :slight_smile:

@laodouya
Make current BIOS dump by FTP:
fptw64 -bios -d backup.bin
Show a photo of your ES CPU from the top.
Can you boot with it in any other system?

Oops was editing my post to include steps on how to dump with fptw but you posted at same time :slight_smile: But yes that seems to me to be the easiest way to grab that microcode!

I’ve analysed this BIOS again.
Bad news - it blocks using all CPUs with stepping P0 (CPUID=0x906EC).
I can patch it but it’s located in hashed volume (protected by BootGuard).

Stepping P0 is ES cpu ?
Because another member successfully flashed bios and got official i9 9900T working just fine (replied on page 4)

Both: usual and ES. They use the same microcode.
But original i9-9900T (SRG1B) has stepping R0 with CPUID=0x906ED

Both: usual and ES. They use the same microcode.

Ok that’s weird then because @mcduncan reports having successfully flashed and using an i9 9900T on 7060