Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS?

I followed these steps and successfully flashed into bios. But unfortunately I can’t boot with my i9-9900T ES(QQZ6), maybe it doesn’t support confidential CPUs?

IMG_20200528_225632.jpg

@thewkong You didn’t set the jumper on your motherboard to Service_Mode :wink:
Scroll back to page1 and I show a picture of where this is located on 7060 Micro board, i’m trying to find a picture of it’s location on 7060 SFF board

EDIT : Here’s where I ‘think’ it’s located on 7060 SFF according to best photo I could grab of the board layout :

You should be able to find jumper positions written on the board that tell you where to move that blue jumper in order to enter ‘service_mode’ on your Dell 7060 SFF board.
Don’t forget to move it back to default position once you’ve finished the flash :slight_smile:

================================================================================================================

@laodouya I very much doubt that ES CPU’s will be supported on these boards, i’m not sure where to even find the CPUID for those ES i9 9900T’s

EDIT : I found the following information regarding your CPU - not sure on it’s authenticity though

So it seems to use 906ECh, but i’m unable to find that microcode bin file anywhere online for now, if you have another PC that this i9 9900T ES works in you can dump the BIOS using fptw and we can re-extract the microcode from that dump - unless someone else has a simpler method/knows where to find 906ECh bin

Steps to follow :

Use Intel CSME System Tools v12 r23 to perform dump using fptw.

We’re only going to be using fptw (flash programming tool) - select your OS of choice - in my example WIN64 : Intel CSME System Tools v12 r23\Flash Programming Tool\WIN64<br />
Use fptw to dump your file and run the following command in cmd from your chosen OS folder (in my example WIN64) : fptw64.exe -d 7060SFFdump.bin

-d flag will dump your BIOS to disk

I used the blue connector to short the two pins in the middle and I got a message from Dell security manager. Something about a password

C5471D99-62E2-42D0-8F97-BB37EC7047F4.jpeg

That’s the wrong one :slight_smile: Try the other one, because here you’re using the clear psswd reset which is another jumper for something else :slight_smile:

@laodouya
Make current BIOS dump by FTP:
fptw64 -bios -d backup.bin
Show a photo of your ES CPU from the top.
Can you boot with it in any other system?

Oops was editing my post to include steps on how to dump with fptw but you posted at same time :slight_smile: But yes that seems to me to be the easiest way to grab that microcode!

I’ve analysed this BIOS again.
Bad news - it blocks using all CPUs with stepping P0 (CPUID=0x906EC).
I can patch it but it’s located in hashed volume (protected by BootGuard).

Stepping P0 is ES cpu ?
Because another member successfully flashed bios and got official i9 9900T working just fine (replied on page 4)

Both: usual and ES. They use the same microcode.
But original i9-9900T (SRG1B) has stepping R0 with CPUID=0x906ED

Ok that’s weird then because @mcduncan reports having successfully flashed and using an i9 9900T on 7060

I was able to flash my 7060 SFF successfully, thank you @Sleinous
7060 SFF service mode is in the middle pins

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 9.05.02 PM.jpg

20200528_210714.jpg

Ok that’s weird then because @mcduncan reports having successfully flashed and using an i9 9900T on 7060

Mine i9 9900T is R0, not P0.

I finally flashed my Optiplex 7060 SFF and it worked with my i7-9700 non k. The service mode is indeed the middle pins. Thanks to Sleinous, DeathBringer, and everybody who contributed.

Thanks for the step, will try it on other PC later.
This is my CPU photo

It’s not necessary, I’ve found the reason - Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS? (5)

Mine i9 9900T is R0, not P0.

Yes but that’s still using 906EC microcode no ? @DeathBringer any thoughts on that ?

No, CPUs with stepping R0 has CPUID=0x906ED!

No, CPUs with stepping R0 has CPUID=0x906ED!

Hmm nice catch ! Am going crosseyed here

Does that means all the 906EC,P0 CPU cannot support? It’s a pity, still thanks for you and @Sleinous great work

I can make a patch for it. But I’m not sure if it is safe because of BootGuard.