Help adding CPU Microcode to Dell 7060 BIOS?

@lawwk981
What was BIOS version before you used my patch? What was the command line with fptw64?
Make current BIOS backup with a hardware programmer.

@DeathBringer I do not have the BIOS version prior to running fptw64, but this is the command line I have used: ptw64 -a 0x1D20000 -l 0xF0000 -f ucode_2020_04.bin.

I just ordered a ch341a and SOP16 test clip - are these suffix to unbrick my 7060 micro? Do you have a BIOS dump with 9th microcode so that I can program it directly using the programmer?

My mod isn’t compatible with BIOS version older then 1.4.2

No.

@DeathBringer Thanks! I will get a dump before reprogramming, to check the bios version.

@Sleinous Can I use https://sleinous.co.uk/Optiplex/FULLDUMP.BIN from your first post to reprogram my bios chip with ch341a? I do not have a backup and I bricked my chip after updating using the fptw64.

@lawwk981
Is this a 7060M that you’re trying to reflash ?
If so, yes, you can use that dump of a 7060 65w version

Here’s all the other related files you may find useful in that folder :

bios.JPG

@Sleinous please help me for my 3060 and 5060.

@krol85 Are these Micro versions ? I don’t believe a 65W tdp version of the 3060 Micro board exists, and not entirely sure about the 5060 Micro
Unofrtunately I don’t have dumps of those BIOS so you’d have to redo the same dump procedures as I did further up in this thread as a starting point to dump those two BIOS
If your boards qren’t 65w tdp version (micro) I really wouldn’t risk anything other than the base CPUs provided by Dell

@Sleinous my unit both are optiplex 3060 sff and 5060 sff.

@krol85 Ok so you’ll need to dump BIOS on both of those first as I don’t have those PC’s at hand to try anything out

Edit: it doesn’t matter
Mod does not work with newest bios

good day!
I ask for help, since I encountered a 35w problem when upgrading the bios of my dell inspiron 5477 and maybe someone will be useful to my experience of upgrading the bios.
This platform works with a 35w CPU I have with an i5 8400t 35w processor the
motherboard is almost identical to the Dell optiplex 7770/7760/
I independently added microcodes from 9gen cpu to the bios using MMTool64 5.2.0.25, 9gen processors began to work but only 35w i7 9700t
when installing i7 9700 65w, the board starts, but the protection is triggered, the indicator flashes orange and turns off
Using AMIBCP-5-02 in the bios, I found hidden settings for limiting TDP, but the changes did not give results because when flashing the BIOS and then starting the system, the BIOS recovery process starts.
I started looking for a solution and came across this forum.
Please share your experience did you manage to remove the 35w limit on the optiplex 7060 micro

AMIBCP-5-02 mod 35w screen

5477_mod_35w_unlim1.png

5477_mod_35w_unlim2.png

bios add microcode

5477_mod.rar (4.15 MB)

bios mod 35w

5477_mod75w_unlim2.rar (4.15 MB)

Hi there, I didn’t notice any limit for 35w and 65w variants of 7060 Micro board - only physical differences due to cooler design and standoff placement between both boards
Having said that I wouldn’t suggest running a 65w TDP CPU in a max rated 35w TDP board, I tried it on the 7060 Micro 35w variant that I had but the board got substantially warmer than with a 35w TDP cpu .
Also the VRMs on the 65w board are beefier than the 35w board… Even if it were to work I doubt your board would last anywhere near as long as it’s intended lifespan

Thank you for the warning!
I believe that 35/65w TDP is a marketing limitation of DELL, just as I do not want to update the cpu codes in the BIOS for already released boards, and this issue can be solved by enthusiasts like us
I have 2 devices
1) Dell optiplex 7770 w/o GTX & i7-9700 65w;
2) Dell inspiron 5477 with GTX 1050 & i5-8400t 35w

As I wrote above I have already achieved support for the Gen9i 7-9700t Dell Inspiron 5477 originally designed for the 8th generation CPU i5-i7 8xxxT series
this model only offers a 35w CPU
Boards are very similar in the field of VRMs there are no differences, they differ only in the output ports and BIOS chips and of course GTX
I don’t think the Dell inspiron 5477 board with GTX doesn’t have a VRMs element limit 35w CPU I hope it’s a software limitation

I want to try to achieve 65w cpu support

I am ready for an experiment if anyone can tell me or who has any thoughts where else there may be software limitations of TDP
thank you in advance for your advice!

FYI it’s an Intel spec, the TDP of a T model is 35w, 65w for non T, possibly higher for K CPUs
I agree that the limit has however probably been put in place by Dell to prevent 65W tdp - i’m not sure how to get around that limit though :frowning:
Do you have a highdef photo of the board & the 65w variant ?
Would like to look at the chips

Hi all,

Just bought a second-hand Optiplex 7060 SFF and would like to upgrade the cpu to I9-9900 - has anyone tried this out?

Or is this still blocked for stepping P0 (CPUID=0x906EC)?

As long as the CPU is a R0 stepping (like your i9 9900) there should be no problems. However the latest bios 1.9.1 even if accepts the mod with updated microcode and the command for the flash (fptw64 -a 0x1D20000 -l 0xF0000 -f ucode_2020_04.bin) will show a flashing amber light on first reboot (i.e. dead motherboard)
You will need to use a hardware programmer to revive your motherboard with an intact 7060 bios.
I guess you could ask for help here to update the microcode for the latest bios.

My mod is compatible with version 1.4.2 only. Look at its filename.

?!?? Sorry, but reading only few post back:

THEWKONG “Dell released a BIOS update for the Optiplex 7060 but I’m assuming that updating to the new BIOS will erase the microcode for the 9th generation. And I’m also assuming that there is a slim to no chance that they added the microcode for the 9th generation processors. Any thoughts?”…

DEATHBRINGER " Update and patch it again."

And again

MARKEG "You meant “download, patch, and update it again,” right? I’m new here and I’m wondering what should be a good practice. Do you always keep an officially supported CPU in case a new BIOS overwrites the modded BIOS?"

DEATHBRINGER “Update BIOS with supported CPU and use my patch again. Then install new CPU.”

…the exact opposite actually…

@quiensabe
Don’t use my mod for other BIOS version. The address of BootGuard Boot Policy is changed in newer versions.

P.S. @thewkong had a hardware programmer to recover in bad case.

Agree with @DeathBringer
I’ve never switched BIOS since successfully adding my 9th gen, little to no point.
If you obtained a motherboard with too recent a BIOS you can always reflash an older version to it instead to use modded bios