[HELP] Gigabyte MD71-HB0: LAN MAC Adresses wiped...How to solve?

Hi to the community…

I purchased a Refurbished Gigabyte MD71-HB0 motherboard for my private Server on Ebay.
After several issues (LGA 3647 Socket with PIN needing realignments, password locked Bios, …) I finally managed to put things all together.
(2 Xeon 4116, 192 GB of RAM, 8 HDD…etc).
I upgraded MB Bios to R08 version (https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Server-Mothe…support-dl-bios) after Bios Password reset (removal) through a FreeDos USB key and also upgraded ME region (part of R08 Bios package).

Everything seemed OK (no error or so)…with one visible change at startup : No more Datto logo but a nice Gigabyte one.

BUT

In the Bios, the 2 10gb LAN Adapter and the 2 1Gb one ended up with a wiped MAC address. 00:00:00:00:00:00
Only the Maintenance LAN Adapter has a valid MAC address (for BMC use?)

I can’t say if the board was already in this state before the Bios Update…

Reading through the Forum I found a somehow similar type of issue : here with a potential way to solve the problem => somehow "re-insert" the good data

Well, I would greatly appreciate some help here…
Thanks

Edit by Fernando: Thread title customized and shortened

@Nozay33 - Do you have flash programmer? If not, download This V4 CSE SPS System Tools package - https://ufile.io/vzi492n8

If you do have flash programmer, ignore below info and you do not need the package above, dump the chip and send me the file

Inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Win64 folder.
Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following commands and send me the created files

spsFPTW64.exe -d SPI.BIN
spsFPTW64.exe -desc -d fd.bin
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbea -d 10gbea.bin
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbeb -d 10gbeb.bin
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbe1 -d 10gbe1.bin << This, or any of the above two 10GBE may fail, unsure which is proper term on your board vs this FPT options.

Unsure how to dump the 1GBE, hopefully the SPI.bin dump above will contain them anyway.
Bad thing here is they are all 00, this will be very hard to find exact location if they are not all in GbE regions and all stored like normal MAC ID’s in GbE. Usually it’s 88:88:88:88:87:88 so easy to find and fix.

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

Or here is simply registry edit that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu << I suggest this, it’s fast and easy!
Double-click to install, reboot after install may be required
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…134606820377175

So…

I did an install of WIN10 to follow the procedure you described.
Opened a command prompt as Administrator
Ran the first command line : spsFPTW64.exe -d SPI.BIN

unfortunatly, I am getting the following error

C:\Users\NicoF\Desktop\Intel ME SPS 4 PU\SPS 4 PU\Flash Programming Tool\WIN64>spsFPTW64.exe -d SPI.BIN

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool for Server Platform Services.
Version: 4.2.53.4
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2016, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Reading HSFSTS register… Flash Descriptor: Valid

— Flash Devices Found —
MX25L25635E ID:0xC22019 Size: 32768KB (262144Kb)

Error 26: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region.

included a picture of the BIOS Chip for reference

Screenshot_20200318_110159_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

What shall I do? Diggin’ through the forum I found a “pinmod method” thread but I don’t want to try something without directions

my motherboard Hardware Installation Guide : https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Server-Mothe…#support-manual

server_manual_md71-hb0_e_10 (1).pdf (2.16 MB)

It’s OK, carry on with the rest, and also add this one to the list
spsFPTW64.exe -bios -d biosreg.BIN

OK

so find the files attached.

spsFPTW64.exe -d SPI.BIN => FAILED
spsFPTW64.exe -desc -d fd.bin => OK
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbea -d 10gbea.bin => OK
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbeb -d 10gbeb.bin => FAILED
spsFPTW64.exe -10gbe1 -d 10gbe1.bin => FAILED
spsFPTW64.exe -bios -d biosreg.BIN => OK

shall I provide something else?

REQUESTED FILES HERE

-H|? Displays help screen.
-VER Displays version information.
-EXP Displays example usage of this tool.
-VERBOSE<file> Display the debug information of the tool.
-Y Do NOT prompt when a warning occurs.
-P<file> Specifies a flash part definition file to use.
-LIST List all SPI devices supported.
-I Displays information about the flash image.
-F<f>[NoVerify] Load binary file into flash. “NoVerify” skips verify.
-ERASE Erase the contents of flash.
-VERIFY<file> Compare binary file to flash.
-D<file> Dump flash contents to file or “STDOUT”.
-DESC Load/verify/dump Descriptor region.
-BIOS Load/verify/dump BIOS region.
-ME Load/verify/dump ME region.
-GBE Load/verify/dump GbE region.
-PDR Load/verify/dump PDR region.
-DER Load/verify/dump DER region.
-BIOS2 Load/verify/dump Secondary BIOS region.
-BMC Load/verify/dump EC/BMC region.
-DER2 Load/verify/dump DER 2 region.
-IE Load/verify/dump Innovation Engine region.
-10GBEA Load/verify/dump 10 Gbe A region.
-10GBEB Load/verify/dump 10 Gbe B region.
-PTT Load/verify/dump PTT region.
-SAVEMAC Saves the GbE MAC when GbE is being reflashed.
-NOLAN Skips 10 Gbe A and 10 Gbe B regions during rewrite
-C Erase entire flash part.
-B Check to see if the flash part is erased.
-E Do NOT erase area before writing to flash.
-REWRITE Rewrite the SPI with file data even if flash is identical.
-HARDERASE Erase without checking if already blank.
-ADDRESS|A<address> Flash address to load/verify/dump file.
-LENGTH|L<length> Number of bytes to load/verify/dump.
-PAGE Pauses the screen when a page of text is reached.

thx…

Thanks, now with the included AFU in tools with stock BIOS package, run this command and make an AFU backup and send me that as well >> AFUname.exe backup.bin /O

done

same link : HERE

would love to understand what you will be doing :slight_smile:

@Nozay33
In pure DOS, directly use eeupdate to write MAC address in the format of eeupdate / NIC = [A] / Mac = [B], where A is a number, which indicates which network card MAC is written to, because notebook basically includes wired network card and wireless network card.

Generally, wired network card is 1 by default, and wireless network card is 2 by default. B is the MAC address of the 12 bit network card, which can be found on the back of the machine.

If we want to write the address of 00 50 8D D7 26 68 to the MAC of the wired network card, and run it under pure DOS: eeupdate / NIC = 1 / Mac = 00508dd72668, just press enter. After normal writing, the following information will be prompted:

f16t6205p106849n2_IZKQWvnU.png

eeupdate.rar (441 KB)

1 Like

@nozay33 - can you please reupload all those files, in one archive, to another host, I can’t use dropbox, google, mega.nz, dropbox, box (sorry for not letting you know in advance) The sites below work best for me
tinyupload.com
uploadfiles.io

And yes, I will let you know about the edits, how/where etc

The above info may work too however, not sure if he noticed what kind of system this is (not notebook, but server board with MANY NICs)

HERE :slight_smile:

tell me if it’ ok…
In // a play a kid teacher role with my kids during country lockdown (in France)…whooooooouuuuu…challenging

indeed…i do have 4 NICs (2 10gbe, 2 1gbe) + 1 service one

@Nozay33
Enter the command “eeupdate”, and the interface will display all Intel network card information of the current device

1 Like

thx

the version you sent EEUPDATE 5.17.19.02 (2010) is not compatible with my X722 Intel Chipset

Diggin’ through Internet I found version 5.30.10.00 which seems to at least read my NICs.
Will give it a try this PM.

@Nozay33
The latest version of eeupdate seems to be v5.32.06.06(including DOS, 64-bit and 32-bit). If you have the latest version, can you upload and share it? Thank you.

There you go for the version I found. Not the latest though.

I successfully managed to re-fill my 4 NICs Mac addresses with the enclosed tool.
They were still not showing in BIOS after reboot. A clear CMOS did the trick.

As strange as it seems, I have not yet tested everything is working. Will do it the morning.

One question still (maybe obvious, sorry for that) : why are there 2 MAC addresses stickers on ETH0 NIC (10 Gbe) on the motherboard? I have only "injected" one of these.

Anyway with @Lost_N_BIOS and @thinking help, I am close to recovery…will let you know today…but still…many thanks

EEUpdate 5.30.10.00.zip (1.39 MB)

Nice you got it sorted out! Now, I wonder if the GbE MAC I found and told you was there by default, would have showed up before all teh above too, if you had cleared CMOS earlier?
Did you ever test that LAN, the one with ID B4 2E 99 3F 70 4A was already in GbEA region. I guess this answers your question
Those are there by default, in dump, before you inserted anything with eeupdate. GbE often holds MAC ID twice in some BIOS.

@Nozay33
This software is very powerful, please use it carefully.

Thank you for your software. As for the two MAC addresses, I guess there are two IP addresses. Each IP address needs to be assigned a MAC address ,may be IPMI??

Here is the official manual for you to download https://www.gigabyte.com/Server-Motherbo…#support-manual

@Nozay33
There are two MAC addresses because this interface can be used as network interface or BMC management interface according to BIOS settings.

Hi,
I have the exact same issue. Can someone please help me add the correct mac address?

@Nozay33 @thinking Do either of you by chance still have the SPS System Tools v4 download posted in

Could you share it with me?