[HELP] How to recover bricked Insyde-BIOS Ideapad L340-15IWL Laptop ?

I bricked my Lenovo L340-15IWL Laptop BIOS:

I didn’t flash wrong, I used the https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/atcn37ww.exe legal officially provided file but after reboot the BIOS bricked !!! only showing black-screen with reboot continuously and one beep per reboot!

I extract BIOS image by awesome guide: https://github.com/liho98/lenovo-bios-logo-extraction-guide :cool:

Also uploaded:

16MB BIOS binary here: https://clicknupload.co/3syvwddb7hu5
officially BIOS updater platform.ini file: https://clicknupload.co/wb1wzuzi3725

So it seem I found corrext filename: ATCrisis.fd

1. Get an empty pen drive.
2. Open Command Prompt (as Administrator).
3. Type: “Diskpart” (Without the commas; this is for all commands)
4. Note the number of the USB drive by typing: "List Disk"
5. Type: “Select Disk X” (Substitute Disk X with the number of your own USB disk. Be careful)
6. Type: “Clean” (This will wipe the pen drive so make sure you don’t have any information you want to keep on it).
7. Type: “Create partition primary size=128” (This will create a 128MB partition on your pen drive)
8. Type: "Format fs=fat32 label=CD_Crisis"
9. Type: “Assign” and exit "Diskpart"
10. Put BIOS file to pen drive neamed: CD_Crisis.bin
11. Disconnect AC power.
12. Put pen drive in the USB 2.0 slot by the power socket.
13. Press and hold Fn + R keys
14. Plug in the AC power
15. Press power button. (because I hold Fn + R keys an orange light as side power connector blinking 5-6 times)
16. Pen drive in the USB 2.0 light blinking 2-3 times
17. Not success and reboot loop occur :frowning:

BIOS file name is not correct, so bios recovery (Fn + R) can’t found it, right?

Disconnect CMOS battery is mandatory? ( I didn’t that because I think the recover process happen: Fn + R keys an orange light as side power connector blinking 5-6 times)

How find correct bios filename/way for recovery?

I bought this laptop yesterday :frowning:

Before trying crisis mode. tTy holding the power button down for 30 seconds. That is one way to reset your bios.

For crisis recovery, Open a copy of your bios.fd file that you extracted from the Lenovo installer with uefitool.exe.

open search and in the text search look for .bin

In the search results you should find a result in the module PcdDXE double click on result and it will take you to the raw section.

Open in Hex by right clicking on the Raw section and scroll down to the offset that is listed in the search result.

You should see a file name with a .bin extension. that is the name for the crisis bios. on my legion 5 pro using gkcn53ww bios. the name of the crisis bios name is gkcn.bin. I think that Lenovo is generally using the first 4 letters of the bios name of you device,

Copy the original bios to the root of your usb that is formatted in fat32 and rename the file to GKCN.bin or what ever is appropriate for you.

The USB port next to the Power cable is the one you need.

To get it working you need to shut down the power, unplug the power cable, plug the USB into the USB port next to teh power cable, Press and hold fn+R, plug power back in and then press the power button.

Check if the usb access light comes on. If so leave it alone for about 5 minutes. If the file name is right, after 5 min it will reboot.

Open the bios after it is booting again. go to the config menu and go to the bottom and select the reset keys option and it will change the bios from setup mode to user mode.

no need to pull cmos battery.

So weird how this happens. I recently unlocked my 2021 Razer Blade Advanced and my friend tried the same steps and even got “Operation Successful” written on FPTW but his laptop became bricked.

even got “Operation Successful” written on FPTW but his laptop became bricked

Just to clarify: fpt(w(64)) writes whatever you give it to write, it doesn’t check the content! If ftp(w(64)) says “Operation successful” it means that the write was successfull and that the content of the chip is identical to the file given. If this files contains a working firmware of a something that’ll brick the board doesn’t matter.

Hello may someone help me is my flash drive incompatible with crisis recovery? Its a Sandisk USB 3.2 Gen 1 in a 3.0 port & I tried the 2.0 port to no avail. Also why is my flash drive which is in the 3.0 port on my Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL reporting 2.0 speed in a 3.0 port? I tried everything and I cannot enter the bios at all idk what setting is causing it. I cannot flash in windows or dos because bios rollback flash is disabled in the bios by default, as i tried resetting the cmos which reset the time is all i could tell. If you can help me determine my filename id appreicate it as I found this in HxD 1QCrisis.bin which im guessing is it. Here is my bios files if u can help id really appreciate it.
sandisk ultra flair 16gb

Lenovo Ideapad 110-15ACL BIOS.zip (5.8 MB)

Filename is guessed alright, I suppose. I don’t think that a bios reflash will help you since it wont overwrite the NVRAM/ non- static parts.

Try several sticks, the smaller the better. Check the filesystem, should probably be FAT or FAT32, nothing more fancy. Even with everything correct it might work or might not…

I’d propose you’d buy a CH341 programmer, dump your own bios, attach it here so that one can have a look into it.

1 Like