Help needed - Alienware Area 51 R2 BIOS

Thanks, but I still hate when that happens!! What? Why is Dell sending you another board??? Is that for free?
Yes, maybe that is issue with speaker, or possibly a BIOS bug with that BIOS version maybe? I think we didn’t use latest BIOS when we fixed, you could try updating to latest and see if the speaker then works, then we could carry on with edits from a new BIOS region dump.

Here is two BIOS with same edits as before, but rebuilt differently, in case the issue was rebuild manner. If you want to test it before I go through and redo all the other edits minus the ones I suspected above.
If these do not work either, then it must be what I mentioned above - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…963973149516337

They was going to send it free, because the firmware mess up was on them, but they can’t get their hands on one for that system so they canceled it. I thought we was on the latest bios ver a14 last updated 3 sep 2018. Which begs the question why the system downloaded the firmware again before bricking as it was updated at the time.

----------------

I could not get the system to boot with the last set of uploads, after flashing with the programmer the system would just power on then off very fast. Now after flashing the last know working bios I flashed the system with the latest bios provided by Dell and did a backup here it is: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…116243757123774

@RiggsUSA - That’s cool that you talked them into sending you a new board for free!! Does it come with CPU too, or just board? I guess you could sell on ebay, or keep as spare?

The last BIOS I sent you that was working is SetO (MD5 = 9D3616A17A4B5149C6A29BA3D2CF1000), correct? If yes, then issue must be what I mentioned about the settings I enabled that didn’t show up in AMIBCP, I will undo and then you can test.
So, what is above SetO programmed in, and then flashed to latest BIOS version via stock update method, and then BIOS region dumped with FPT? If yes, OK, I will redo all edits into that, minus the suspected issue settings.

First! Again, I would like to redo the “DRAM Reference Clock" test, with a single BIOS as test (SetONewBIOS)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…715189720086991

Flash via FPTw.exe -bios -f SetODramReftest.bin

^^ That is how you were flashing the BIOS I sent you last few times, correct?

Did you just send something my way in Amazon? If yes, thank you, but wow, I don’t deserve it since all these bricked BIOS! If you didn’t, I wonder who did (says thanks for help on Alienware )

They are not going to send a replacement board anymore because they cant get any from anywhere it was just going to be a board of the same, so that’s canceled.
I flashed the first unlocked bios you sent via fpt that ended in the system being bricked. (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…233038941839522)

i tried the two files you uploaded right after i informed you of the bricking, using the programmer (http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…963973149516337) Should i have flashed with set0 then tried these uploads via fpt instead of the programmer?

So i flashed the SetO via the programmer, then in windows flashed the Dell stock bios then used FPT to backup

@RiggsUSA - Ohh, so they said we’ll send, then waited, and said we can’t? How lame! Tell them you will wait

Wait, what? Please use BIOS names or post #, and explain that again. Or, wait (me), are you talking from the get-go?
If yes, OK, not worries about that. I am only concerned with SetO testing onward, but am now still confused, since you said no issues with SetO and Dram reference showed up in BIOS etc (This would have had to been flashed in with FPT, otherwise you would have bricked there too)
SetO could not be put on with programmer, unless you rebuilt into a 16MB BIOS first, replacing BIOS region (SetO) into 16MB file I sent you previously, such as NV1StockNV2Removedm.bin

The BIOS I sent you at post #37, did you put those on with programmer? If yes, then of course that would brick, BIOS is 16MB and those are only 8MB BIOS regions << Those (And SetO) would need FPT flashed in, if you want me to put them into a 16MB file for you to put on with programmer then let me know.
Sorry if there was any confusion here about FPT/Programmer, I assumed you knew and was using FPT with 8MB files and programmer with 16MB files (back when we were using 16MB files and fixing the system generally)

So, you need to still properly test BIOS from #37 using FPT, or tell me if needed and I will recompile them into 16MB BIOS for you to put on with programmer.

You didn’t answer my last question?

Post #37 bricked the bios via fpt.
Post #41 Was tried with programmer when the system bricked but will now try with fpt.
To get back into the system I used NV1StockNV2Removedm with the programmer then in windows I used set0 with fpt then flashed stock then fpt backup.

-----------------

Set02R2 worked, setting unlocked.
Set02RMM worked settings unlocked, seemed like Set02R2 had more settings might just be me though, both of them the hardware monitoring section was not registering anything from the sensors.

#37 - so maybe this can’t be FPT flashed due to padding thing I mentioned, but programming is OK… OR,maybe some issue on rebuild with that file that I can’t see when checking??
#41 >> These would always = brick with programmer, since this is only 8MB BIOS region << These files can be made for programmer, but I didn’t make them that way at the time, I assumed you’d recover and then FPT flash those in your testing of these files.

Ahh, so your follow up (which i will merge now), those are BIOS from #41 correct, and both OK? If yes, those are same as BIOS from #37 same menu/settings edit I mean, so both should have same settings.
Those were just rebuilt differently, and one of them is surely built same way as I did #37 (only redid to see if same/brick or some glitch caused initial brick) at least I think one would be same build method

You may not have hardware sensor monitor IC on the board, so I can hide that section in next edit if you want, let me know? OK, lets do this, since we now know the entire menu/settings edit I did was OK.
How did you flash Set02R2 / Set02RMM, FPT or did you build 16MB BIOS and put in with programmer? I will make you new mod with all those changes but on latest BIOS version (setup is same, so I can direct transfer this already tested and modified setup into your latest version FPT dump you sent at #42

Set02R2/Set02RMM was both done with FPT (Worked), I did not think about file size at the time when I tried them with the programmer, I should have known better.
As for the hardware monitoring I would have assumed there was IC onboard, there are enough temp sensors dotted around the case which can be read in windows, but like i say I’m used to custom builds like asus even though I’ve had this system for about two years now. I will definitely go back to custom builds when get the chance. The wife wanted me to be lazy and get a prebuilt system and at the time the sale on this system gave me better specs for the price.

Good, at least we know those are OK now, and probably previous one was too (but flashed wrong)

About the BIOS sensor page, it may just not have the right config files in BIOS then, since you can see info from the sensors in windows.
Since this was meant to be hidden from user, they may have left out some config file or didn’t link something that needs linked, I can’t do anything to fix that sorry

I always build myself too, it’s really the way to go no matter how you look at it (even price-wise, if you shop right), especially if you know how to build your own system

Here is latest BIOS version you sent me dump from, but with all the menu edits Use LatestBIOSM3UEFIT25SetWhole, if it bricks (Sorry) then use LatestBIOSM3MM
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…243391791158986

LatestBIOSM3UEFIT25SetWhole worked like a charm.

Sorry I didn’t read everything in one of your posts, no it wasn’t me who sent you something on amazon sorry, but I’m glad someone else also thinks your help is amazing.
Dell contacted me after they Saw the system pop up under the support assist app, and offered me the ability to extend the warranty for 2 years would cost me $200, for complete system warranty with onsite tech. I’m not sure if I should go for it, or just save for a complete rebuild, you said at one point they are good with their warranty’s?

good afternoon,
my area 51 r2 is not posting anymore after replacing cpu, no beeps replaced all parts, just turns on fans spin ram rgb turns on, no keyboard light.
touched the cpu and tried 3 cpu they all same working as i touch them and they get hot .
ive ordered a ch341a from ebay, never done this before, any help to bring my alien back would be appreciated, i do have another area 51 r2 working, if this helps. thanks heaps

My area 51 r2 also cannot post. All lights and fans are working but there is no beeping. Is there currently a way to flash the bios without using a programmer? There are so many terminoligies and the process seems very complicated. I would really appreciate your help and some tips.

@rudyboypunta Were you able to fix yours?