[Help] ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) Reverting Spectre/Meltdown Patches

I’m running 2203 and would like to downgrade the microcode before the Spectre/Meltdown patches, any help would be deeply appreciated.

I spent quite a few hours today fully diving in trying to get my own made and ended up creating this: https://mega.nz/#!NN4F0YqY!0eRHwrNhT62vS…Mlcb5OXAqB7SlaQ

I was hoping to get a second pair of eyes to look it over because I barely know what I’m doing when it comes to editing bios files like this. (I used UBU Tool and my goal was to leave everything untouched other than reverting the Spectre&Meltdown patches.)

The original bios is downloadable here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…C-ASUS-2203.zip

Thanks in advance and hopefully I haven’t accidentally strayed off from this forums etiquette too much.

@Gummin - Looks OK to me, but you need to put back into a stock capsule before you can USB Flashback the BIOS (only way to safely flash mod stock BIOS)
Open stock BIOS.CAP in hex editor, to go 800h location. Open mod BIOS in second tab of hex editor, select all, copy. Go back to stock BIOS.CAP and at 800h, paste your mod BIOS, then save as M10HWIFI.CAP
Then you can USB Flashback this mod BIOS

However, I just checked here, and there are no Pre-Spectre/Meltdown microcodes for your CPUID
[OFFER] Intel CPU Microcode Archives

The one you used would have partial Spectre v2 patches, you would need one before 2nd June 2017 and there isn’t

@Lost_N_BIOS Awesome, thanks!

Huh, that’s unfortunate. In the microcode download supplied by chinobino there was a text file named Notes saying that 00000080 was the first Spectre patch so I thought going before then would have me covered.
st1cky said something similar here as well but I’m not sure about the details. [OFFER] ROG MAXIMUS XI APEX - 1302

Either way thanks for your help, I’ll go ahead and test it anyway and see if there’s any worthwhile difference.

@chinobino is the one who gave me the info I passed along above, maybe he’ll stop in to clarify, confirm, and give you more details when time permits.
Additionally, at that link I gave, you can see at the last part of post #2, per your CPUID there is no pre-spectre/meltdown
@Gummin - Yes, you can always test and compare to see how performance is vs latest.

@Lost_N_BIOS Just wanted to double check something, this is what you meant correct? After copying the entire modded bios: https://i.imgur.com/AKrSdJe.png
I’m not sure how many years It’s been since I’ve done anything with hex.

@Gummin - Yes, that looks correct, but I’m not familiar with that hex program. Mod BIOS Body should be 1000000h in length, correct? If yes, paste that at 800h, that is where BIOS body starts 800h to end of file, 0-799h is capsule
Resulting file should be exact same size as stock BIOS.CAP (1000800h, 16MB, 16386KB) , and should look exactly the same when opened in side by side with stock BIOS UEFITool 51-56

Hi, just dropping by to say that I have updated the information for CPUID 906EA that I had accidentally overlooked and omitted from the [OFFER] Intel CPU Microcode Archives thread.

Thanks for pointing out that the pre-spectre microcode was missing for 906EA (cpu906EA_plat22_ver00000070_2017-08-23_PRD_711B866C.bin).

I have updated the intel_microcodes_pre-spectre.zip file and also included the Intel Microcode Guidance for anyone interested so you can see the source of my information.

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks for all your help, It’s working great! It’s nice seeing lower temperatures on such a hot CPU.

@Gummin - You’re welcome, and it’s great all is working nicely for you
@chinobino - thanks for stopping in to check, and for researching and updating your other thread for us, seems he was right all along