[Help] Unlock MSI GF63

Hi all,

Found this nice forum while looking to flash my BIOS to unlock some menu entries. Specifically I’m looking to enable setting HDD password, and ideally encryption password for NVMe drive as well (I have Samsung 970 pro which supports TCG Opal in case the Samsung 981 oem drive which came with the machine won’t do it). I read through a lot (in fact most of) the guides here but have no success yet. My BIOS seems very similar to the one in the TongFang thread. I can’t seem to flash a modified BIOS at all. Here is what I tried:

- Extracted just BIOS part using (using Intel CSME System Tools v12 r20) ftpw.exe -bios -r gf63.rom
- Edited with amibcp 5.02.0031 setting just a few menus to USER
- Flash back with ftpw.exe -bios write gf63.rom
- Bricked: power comes on for ~5 - ~10 seconds, then shuts off

Luckily I have a ch431a so I
- Reflash manufacturer BIOS (https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E16R3IMS.106.zip) using flashrom in Linux
- Unbricked (whew!)
- Load full E16R3IMS.106 image into UEFITool
- Find Setup PE32 section and “Extract body…” from UEFITool
- Hexedit the extracted body to just replace one of the display strings “Please change product name” as seen in the first screenshot. Keep same number of chars by putting spaces in end of string.
- Replace body… back in UEFITool
- Flash back full image using flashrom
- Bricked
- Reflash manufacturer BIOS to unbrick

So it seems I am missing something, like maybe there is a checksum check that is being done, or something else. I’d be happy for someone to just unlock it, but I’d also like to learn how myself. I’m attaching the default screens, Thanks!

Scr01-Main.jpg

Scr02-StorageInfo.jpg

Scr03-SysInfo.jpg

Scr04-Advanced.jpg

Scr05-Security.jpg

Scr06-Boot.jpg

Scr07-SaveExit.jpg

did you ever get your bios unlocked? i was gonna do an unlock on my kids GF63-8RC but your post has me wondering if i should or not

EDIT: never mind, this bios can be unlocked with a key combo. enter bios normally, then Hold ALT, hold Right Control, Hold Shift, And Press F2