Help with modding Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5

Hello everyone, my first post! :slight_smile:

I’ve just built myself a nice shiny new AMD Ryzen 1700 system opting for the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5. Sadly upon getting to enter the UEFI I found it to be completely bereft of any meaningful options and the state of the UEFI is so bad it doesn’t even look like the UEFI has left alpha stages of development. I have already significantly improved it and am currently running my own modded version of F5c, there is still at least one problem I would like to address though and I’m hoping someone here can help :slight_smile:

I think I know which module in the UEFI holds all the information for memory compatibility - AMDMemS3CzDxe, but I’m not totally sure. So my request for help is 2 stage;

- Does anyone know for certain if AMDMemS3CzDxe does contain the memory compatibility information
- Can anyone help with injecting a AMDMemS3CzDxe I’ve taken from the Asus ROG Crosshair VI, it’s slightly larger (107kb) and MMTool keeps giving me a error about it being too big :frowning:

For reference, here are the things I’ve fixed / changed so far:

Advanced Frequency Settings:

Enabled “Host Clock” for clockgen hardmods
FIX: Removed duplicate “XMP” entry - It’s now just in "Advanced Memory Settings"
FIX: Removed duplicate “Memory Multiplier Entry” - It’s now just in "Advanced Memory Settings"
FIX: Removed duplicate “Memory Frequency Multiplier” entry - It’s now just in "Advanced Memory Settings"

Advanced CPU Core Settings:

FIX: Removed duplicate “CPU Clock Ratio” entry - It’s now just in "Advanced Frequency Settings"
ENABLED: “Core Performance Boost” option
ENABLED: “Core Performance Boost Ratio” option
ENABLED: “Core Turbo Performance Boost Ratio” option

PC Health Status:

Changed CPU FAN & CPU OPT to full speed and set temperature interval to 1c - Wraith isn’t loud at all, might as well let it go full speed

BIOS:

ENABLED: “SATA Support” option
ENABLED: “VGA Support” option
ENABLED: “USB Support” option
ENABLED: “PS2 Devices Support” option
ENABLED: “Enter UEFI Setup on Next Boot” option
ENABLED: the following IPv… options for preconfiguration convenience;
IPv4 PXE
IPv4 HTTP
IPv6 PXE
IPv6 HTTP
ENABLED: “PXE boot wait time” option

Peripherals:

ENABLED: “USB 2.0 Controller Mode” configuration - Might help anyone with old USB devices
ENABLED: “USB Mass Storage Driver Support” option

ADDED: “CPU Configuration” for;

ENABLED: “PSTATE Adjustment” option
ENABLED: “PPC Adjustment” option
ENABLED: “NX Mode” option
ENABLED: “Node 0 Information” - Displays detailed information for the CPU, and Agesa code version

USB Configuration “out of sight” changes:

SPEED TWEAK: Reduced USB transfer timeout to 10 seconds - Was 20
SPEED TWEAK: Reduced Device reset transfer timeout to 10 seconds - Was 20
SPEED TWEAK: Reduced Device power-up delay to 2 seconds - Was 5

Chipset:

ADDED: Southbridge options;

ENABLED: SATA Configuration >
ENABLED: “OnChip SATA Channel” option
ENABLED: “RAID Type” option

ADDED: “SB Debug Configuration” options;

ENABLED: “SB SPI DEBUG Configuration” >

ENABLED: "SPI 100MHz Support"
ENABLED: "SPI Normal Speed"
ENABLED: "SPI Fast Read Speed"
ENABLED: "SPI Burst Write"

ADDED: “SB MISC DEBUG Configuration” >

ENABLED: “Chipset Power Saving Features” option
ENABLED: “SB Clock Spread Spectrum” option - Disable to actually set Bus Speed to 100MHz, not 99.7MHz or whatever
ENABLED: “SB Clock Spread Spectrum Option” option - Use this to help fine tune CPU Bus \ Core speed
ENABLED: “MsiDis HPET” option
ENABLED: “USB Phy Power Down” option

ADDED: “SB SATA DEBUG Configuration” >

ENABLED: “SATA Power On” for ports 0 to 7
ENABLED: "SATA Hot-Removable Support"
ENABLED: "Int. Clk Differential Spread"
ENABLED: "SATA MAXGEN2 CAP OPTION"
ENABLED: "Aggressive Link PM Capability"
ENABLED: "SATA Slumber State Capability"
ENABLED: "SATA PHY PLL"

Misc Changes:

Changed boot logo
Set EHCI HC to “Enabled” by default
Fixed odd text string naming for CPU LLC options
Fixed some minor text spacing errors
Q-Flash set to always reset NVRAM and update Boot Block during flash process - No need to load optimised defaults, save then re-enter UEFI anymore

@ket :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Since I am not an expert regarding your special problem, I hope, that someone else will help you.

Good luck!
Diter (alias Fernando)

I’m going to see if I can “cheat” by simply removing the boot logo then trying to inject AMDMemS3CzDxe. It will free up lots of space if it does (about 343kb).

OK, removing the splash screen did indeed free up enough space but the module I injected did not seem to be for memory compatibility after all. Back to the drawing board.

As I’m modding the Gaming 5 UEFI until (if) Gigabyte do something useful with the UEFI for it, does anyone know if there are updated modules available somewhere I can inject for on-board devices?

Just a quick FYI update, AMD have apparently released new AGESA code so AM4 boards should see UEFI updates very soon. Assuming Gigabyte release a UEFI for the Gaming 5 with the new AGESA code, that will be the first UEFI I build a modded UEFI from and let it out in the wild - Gigabyte are simply doing a terrible job with the Gaming 5 many of the options that would actually make it a good board are in the UEFI already, just hidden likely where they are saving those “features” for the Gaming 7. A dirty tactic, it’s not like the Gaming 5 is that cheap it’s price is certainly enough to merit unhiding a lot of features the UEFI already has to add much needed flexibility.

All is going quite well, just put the finishing touches on a modded version of F5d however there is one thing I’d like to do so if anyone knows how that would be great. I’d like to disable the check Q-Flash does so both stock and modified UEFIs can be flashed with it, does anyone know how to disable the check?