[HELP] - Z9PE-D16 - C602 - Bios Modding

Hi forum!

Is there anyone who can suggest me a way to unlock bclk overclock on my Aptio IV bios?

As far as I can tell my Intel ME firmware is 2.1.something and I have no page in the bios with those kind of controls…

Where should I start?

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Fabio

@x007alfa - What BIOS version you are using now. Does your board have USB Flashback? Do you have a flash programmer, such as CH341A?

Never mind, your BIOS does not have such settings, even hidden. Nothing you can do

I figured… D: there’s really no way? The Z9PE-D8 WS has almost everything the same but you can do all kinds of things… voltage… bclk… multi… everything… there’s no way to adapt the D8 bios to mine? I know I’m probably saying nonsense…

I purchased the programmer you wrote about in your post…
Is it really not possible? I would like to understand why… Could be that the motherboard does not have some critical components to allow overclocking?
It seems really stupid to me… thay allow overclocking on a less expensive board like the D8WS and not on this D16…

Yes, nothing like this in your BIOS, return this board and get the other one you mentioned, especially since it’s cheaper, if this is your goal.
The reason why is it’s not in the BIOS to reveal to you, the other board has this if you’ve seen it unlocked/visible in BIOS. I can see it there, but I can’t tell without seeing BIOS images how much of it is visible by default to user.
The Z9PE-D8 WS has an AI Tweaker section in it, your BIOS does not. Probably not in the more expensive one since this is a server board, and more expensive server you’d want the highest reliability not the ability to play around and overclock etc.

How similar or dissimilar are the boards themselves? Why is the one you have more expensive? I assume both boards could overclock fine, but it’s possible it may be harder on the board or power delivery items on your board, if they made that less somehow in order to add other more expensive items instead.
Since you have flash programmer, I can help you try the other BIOS on your current board, but it may fail and you’d have to recover, so you’ll have to be sure your backup is good and valid before we proceed (ie upload for me to check before we do anything)

Gosh you are myth…
The programmer came today in the mail and I did find the .bin dump of the D8 WS…
Actually mine I bought on ebay for a steal like 70€ because the guy believed it wasn’t fixable and yes the pins in the socketS where like smashed like nobody’s business…
Buying a second hand D8 WS is close to 300€ because people look for them all the time…
The only other C602 board made for overclocking is the EVGA SR-X which I would love to own but it’s pretty much a collectable item at this point… nowhere to be found…
If you search on google for “Z9PE-D8 WS bios bin” there is a forum post where a guy enabled nvme on one and posted the bios in a link and it’s the full 8MB dump…
Tomorrow morning I’ll get situated with the programme and try to pull out the bios of my board… I bought also the clamp thing for it so it should be pretty easy…
This is why I really don’t care if I screw it up too much…
If I really brick it bad I can buy one of those cheap Chinese knockoffs and call it a day XD

THANKS A LOT ANYWAY FOR THE HELP AND AVAILABILITY REALLY I APPRECIATE A LOT…

I can do NVME Mod for you on either BIOS, that’s no problem. Don’t use some other persons dump, that will cause you to loose all your board specific info.
Since you have a programmer, we can try plenty of things! I can even swap out the D8 BIOS controlling items (Setup, AMITSE, AMITSE/Setupdata) into the D16 and you can test, that may fail, but could also work.
If it fails, then we can try direct BIOS swap, if that works, then I can edit D8 BIOS with your D16 board specific info (serial, UUID, Lan MAC ID etc) << This direct swapping is why I asked you how similar the boards are (Same I/O outputs or not, same PCI/PCIE slots etc)

Once you have a good backup made, you can’t brick anything, well at least you can’t brick anything that you can’t recover from. Don’t try to erase or write anything to the chip until you’ve uploaded your dump for me to check and I tell you it’s OK (that way you know you have good backup to put back in no matter what)

You’re welcome! Hopefully we can work out something for your D16 board. ONce you get to it, tell me your chip ID too in case you need to use some specific version of software or some other ID or other software than the general CH341A program.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…257455007472602 << Main driver and CH341A software

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G…341A-programmer << Same as one directly below, but with all images expanded/visible at once
[GUIDE] Flash BIOS with CH341A programmer

Here I am…
I’m attaching to this post the original backup from my board… thankfull it has removable bios chip so it all went pretty easy slotted in the 25xx space in the programmer and no problem whatsoever…

Bios chip code is: 25Q64FVA1G 1334

original_Z9PED16.rar (3.52 MB)

For W25Q64FV use software 1.30 or 1.34 and chip ID W25Q64BV, otherwise writes will fail. I am unsure about read validity too, so please redo this with those things in mind, so we are sure you have good backup made.
You’re dump looks good, but best to be safe and do it the way I know works and not the way I’ve tested and know that fails.

I did do the dump with 1.34

Hi Lost_N_Bios,
I’m going to go to the USA for a few days for work…
I’ll be back the 12th of this month to do what you asked…
Do you really believe that we can pull something out? I really don’t wanna buy another board XD I don’t want to drain my water cooling loop XD

Yes, I’m sure we can probably get something accomplished, at very least we can try before you have to consider getting another board.

You missed my bolded part of the previous post.

Yeah I saw the bolded part I will try and do the dump as you requested… just for personal education why do I need to do the dump with different model then the one I have???

Hi Lost_N_BIOS I’m back for a short while XD

I’m attaching the bios dump made using your suggested settings.

Hope we can get something done…

Sorry for the long time this is taking…

z9ped16.rar (3.52 MB)