How do you rename a Aptio V bios?

What tool do you use to rename a UEFI/bios? (to be clear, I’m not talking about renaming the file)
ie, X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) V1.G BIOS Release E7A32AMS.1G0 to say 7A32_MOD.1G0

AMIBCP can load the UEFI but BIOS Name is greyed out.

Thanks

In the next tab over to left "DMI Tables" System Info & Baseboard Info

Just looked at the MSI B350 PC MATE (MS-7A34) and E7A34AMS.AE0 isn’t there:

System Information
1 Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
2 MS-7A34
3 2.0
4 To be filled by O.E.M.
5 To be filled by O.E.M.
6 To be filled by O.E.M.

Baseboard Information:
1 Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
2 B350 PC MATE (MS-7A34)
3 2.0
4 To be filled by O.E.M.
5 To be filled by O.E.M.
6 To be filled by O.E.M.

I can’t find the E7A34AMS.AE0 reference anywhere!

See, I thought I was confused by your renaming :slight_smile: You said “not talking about renaming the file” (and I assumed duh, windows file system name), but then you gave the ie and I applied that to you trying to still say you didn’t want to rename the file system name

I checked MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 7A32v1G (Latest BIOS E7A32AMS.1G0) and find the E7A32AMS.1G0 name with a hex editor, a bit past 1/2 way through BIOS and once more right near the very end.

So I assume you can change those two places in any MSI BIOS and it will change the internal reflected name (ie :slight_smile: not windows file system name)

It may need to be changed in hex, and also changed in AMIBCP DMI section too, you’d have to test that.

Your right. It’s listed twice. I used Winhex to change the name from E7A32AMS.1G0 to E7A32AXX.1G0.
With the new file Changelogo doesn’t see any logo’s & amibcp doesn’t open the rom correctly.
Strange how this is so complicated!

I see the same, editing with two different hex editors too. I tried flexhex and HHD.

I notice after editing, in UEFITool when opening any modified version it says invalid data checksum. So that’s the issue I assume, but I’m not sure how to fix that.

I compared non edited and modified files in hex too, and the only byte differences I can see are the two XX I changed in the filename like you wanted, not sure how to see or correct the checksum bits since the files are identical other than those 2-digit XX changes.

I tried loading the bios in Phoenix Tool. It detected the changes & fixed the checksum but the saved file is still stuffed.
Changes detected in B1DA0ADF-4F77-4070-A88E-BFFE1C60529A_3239.ROM
Counting (sub)modules in existing (sub)module to be replaced/deleted
0 ED2AE0 Freeform Subtype GUID section - Size 140 (1)
End count
Counting (sub)modules in new (sub)module to be replaced/inserted
0 0 Freeform Subtype GUID section - Size 140 (1)
End count
Module (3945) at ED2AE0 replaced
Module checksums corrected

Thanks, that helped! I found it here, shown in image, in this file extracted “as-is” (Body extract same too).

The name is in there 8 times, but 2 are with period between each letter, and 4 are location directors (like file is at c/windows/etc) so I left those 4 alone and the 2 names with periods between letters.

https://nofile.io/f/OJ3CMzmWz1Y/E7A32AMS.UEFITool2.1G0.zip

Opens correctly in AMIBCP now, Extracted and replaced with UEFITool, hex edit done with HHD
I assume, since no other modifications were done here, it will still show other info in BIOS and in some windows tools like AIDA64 and CPU-z etc.
I’m referring to the other board info from the DMI tab section, until you edit that I think it will always show same as AMIBCP in some tools

* Even after that mod, when looking at the fill file again in hex editor, I still see full original file name in two places E7A32AMS.
So there must be some other module we need to find to change as well!

OK, I found it 5 other places in 4 modules with UEFITool via hex search for orig. name 45 37 41 33 32 41 4d 53, after the above edit. Edited each of those shown instances via extract as-is, hex edit, replace as-is

Here is new file, opens correctly in AMIBCP, and original file name does not appear in a direct hex edit. Above thoughts on DMI info still applies, I did not change board model name (X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32)) etc.
https://nofile.io/f/sw8X8eBz9PU/E7A32AMS.UEFITool4.1G0.zip

Just tried it out & it works fine! I’ll have to give UEITool a go.

You tried the BIOS, and it’s OK? Where did this actually end up changing the file name, only for BIOS flashing or BIOS file detection when trying to flash, or where was your intention on that?

I assume it stays original file/board name in other places, like the BIOS info/header while in the BIOS where it names the board and BIOS file version/date, and in windows apps like CPU’z etc correct?

I used older version of UEFITool 0.22.4, the newer version NE Alpha 40 I had on hand didn’t enable “replace” function for many of those sections

I wanted to protect the bios from the enduser updating it. The built in M-Flash utility & MSI LiveUpdate won’t upgrade to the latest bios if the name doesn’t match.
Even though the bios looks ok & opens in AMIBCP & Changelogo, once flashed, the system doesn’t post.
Lucky for me I’m able to flashback original… I think I’m going to give up on this…

Bummer about the flash, like you said it all looks good to go when checked by tools. Good you know how to recover!

May have to lock updating with a password?