How to enable RAID Optiplex 7010

My first post here - been reading a couple days and have lots of GREAT STUFF for the DELL OP-7010.

I have used the notes and tools here: [Tool Guide+News] “UEFI BIOS Updater” (UBU)

and updated some of the BIOS file components (namely the RST and GOP for IvyBridge) from what was there.

Here is a shot of the UBU - showing the updated items I did.

Main Menu
        [Current version in BIOS file]

1 - Disk Controller
EFI Intel RST VMD Driver - 13.1.0.2126 <<< Updated
2 - Video OnBoard
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1030 <<< Updated
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
RAW GOP VBT SNB/IVB-MOBILE - 165
RAW GOP VBT SNB/IVB-MOBILE - 165
3 - Network
4 - Other SATA Controller
5 - CPU MicroCode
View/Extract/Search/Replace
S - AMI Setup IFR Extractor
O - Option ROM in other GUIDs
0 - Exit
RS - Re-Scanning
A - About

I have played around with another set of instructions and was able to modify the DELL LOGO that appears on boot - changed it to a PROXMOX LOGO. :slight_smile: (I have since put it back). Wanted to see if I could do it - and I am gonna complete a write up on ‘how’.

What is killing me - as I also did the NVMe boot option - but waiting on my PCIe card to get here - it got delayed someplace. I really want to enable the RAID option in the BIOS. There has to be a way. HWINFO64 shows that it is ‘there’ - but in the BIOS menu…you cannot see it.

It seems that there has to be a ‘switch’ that hides it in the BIOS - but I’ll be damned if I can find it. :frowning:

I also downloaded the A30 BIOS for the 9010 - The big-brother to my 7010, but cannot figure out how to get the .BIN file out of it. The /writeromfile option does not work (either with / or - … nor do the writehdrfile or writehexfile commands). Was thinking maybe it might help.

I am hoping someone has some ideas that will allow me to enable (what I have learned is the ICH7 RAID feature) on this 7010 Desktop.

No RAID on this OptiPlex, the chipset and what HWinfo correctly reports is Q77 with Intel specs that support RAID, but this is Dell culprit on their implementation and choice of design in this motherboard, not Intel fault.

Now if this is a MT form factor, check rhe bios for the following functions Dell OptiPlex 9010/7010 Mini-Tower Owner’s Manual | Dell US

If there’s support for RAID the option should be present as pictures show, the Option ROM.

Dell OptiPlex 9010/7010 Mini-Tower Owner’s Manual | Dell US

I have done it. See the images.

Nothing against you, but I am not one to take “it cannot be done” lightly.

I am still doing some testing - and verifying that it is ‘repeatable’ - then will post a How-To.

(sorry for the image qualities)

From LEGACY BIOS settings

Changed to UEFI - and using RST Tool in Windows

Array built - and initializing.

I never said that couldn’t be done…
I said that by default the SFF doesn’t seem to have RAID enable in chipset/bios, only MT…all this by Dell statements, not mine.
Anyway, enjoy the “battle” and a pleasant RAID :ok_hand:

Oh by the way… you didn’t mod anything at all…that system already supported RAID, jfy. :wink: but all credits to you my dear sir.