How to extract contents of this Dell BIOS package?

@earthoo7 - What I said above applies directly to Dell BIOS, not always can you get BIOS region etc from HDR and directly use like I mentioned. Some yes, but not all, that was my point.
Obviously this is one of those cases where you cannot directly use the HDR extracted files, or “BIOS region” would be matching size. I confirmed by checking, this needs manually rebuilt volume by volume, if you want to use anything from the HDR extract
HDR extract is missing one volume, one padding, and both NVRAM areas, so cannot be used as a direct insert/BIOS region swap etc.

BSOD can be anything, memory going bad, CPU going bad, video card going bad, bad drivers or programs, system too hot, failing HDD etc. Rarely, unless a big, is BIOS cause of BSOD.
Best to start troubleshooting by running Memtest86+ for 10-12 hours at least, to see if you have any memory errors.
If no memory errors after extended test, , then I would next test a clean OS install without any drivers or updates etc, and use that for a while and see if still BSOD or not. If not, then you know some program, driver, or update is causing it.

Please confirm if this system has Intel Boot Guard active by running this from V10 ME System Tools Package >> MEINFOWin.exe -verbose
Show me end of that report, do you see Measured or Verified Boot enabled on Left/FPF side?
If not, I can rebuild you a clean BIOS region from the HDR extracted files, but this isn’t going to resolve any BSOD issue.

@ Lost_N_BIOS
as i mention i tried to replace memory first when face bsod.but problem was same.
so i install clean os but problem same.
i cant change cpu bcoz it is bga package.
after some day my laptop does not recognize m.2 ssd.
i purchaged new one but it does not recognised.
i checked all supply & signal which are required for m.2 ssd to run on laptop board.
found all supply okay.
so last option for me only to try flash clean bios only.but what is problem for making new bios you know now.
which bios pic i upload in my previous post was original image of my bios.
i did not know about verified boot enable onn left/FPF side?(which you written in your post)
please tell me about it if possible.
in this case how can i use extracted bios region to make fresh bios please suggest me.
what steps should i need now?

@earthoo7 - Maybe M2 SSD dying then? On your new one, can you test on other board, to make sure it’s not DOA? Maybe you purchased NVME/PCIE protocol and board only support SATA for M2 slot?
What model M2 did you get? Did you test OS install on normal SSD/HDD instead of M2, for now that may be best to test with until you get compatible M2

I can make you clean BIOS, but this is not going to change anything in regards to BSOD, this isn’t caused by BIOS

Download V10 ME System Tools from here, in section “C” - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
Inside you will find MEInfo folder, from the Win32 folder, run this command and show me image of the bottom of the report >> MEINFOWin.exe -verbose

It is too many steps for me to explain how to make clean BIOS, but I can do for you, but as I mentioned above, it’s not going to change anything about BSOD’s

@LOST_N_BIOS
i purchase m.2 ssd not nvme bcoz my laptop has only m.2 slot not sata & other port. generally we can identify these by their physical shape nvme has singe cut & m.2 has double cut so no confusion to choose right ssd.
i try before purchase new ssd an enclouser which convert my m.2 ssd like a usb flashdrive.
in this enclouser old ssd working fine.
i will send you pic of me -verbose tomorrow. but here are one problem bcoz ssd not detected so no os available can i run meinfo utility in dos mode
with help of refus software make my flashdrive as free dos.
is m right?
as i mention in post 220 that i clean me of my working dump bios as putomania described & i get display okay.
but my ssd not detected all other things working means detected bcoz these info showing in bios setup.
now i have only one step remain that i can change my bios region with new me.
but i m not able to create same size bios region as old one.
now i want to know how we make same size bios region from dell .exe & help of old backup
please describe…

@earthoo7 - Maybe not compatible with your enclosure then?? Does it work in that enclosure on other system?
Yes, you can run MEFINO from DOS

Sorry, not sure what you are talking about for clean ME FW, this is not related to anything we’re discussing here?

New BIOS region will not help anything here. Flash in that BIOS using normal method and you will get same result, no change to BSOD issue. As mentioned, it’s too involved and too many steps for me to explain how to do this manually (OK, I describe below briefly)
You need to dump your current BIOS region with FPT and send to me first too, NVRAM from it will be used (ie put into) in the rebuild BIOS region, and probably one padding area too if it contains your system info (serial etc)
Unless you want me to use the programmer dump you sent me, but it’s dated from 2016??

General how to >> Use UEFItool 25 for edit/insert + 51 or above for extractions - Edit your dumped BIOS region, leave NVRAM + first padding + E34AEDB0-BB97-49BC-B139-1E419B3560E2 in place (do not replace those with anything from stock)

Open programmer dump or BIOS region dump in UEFITool 51+ and open 1_System_BIOS_with_BIOS_Guard_A.19.data.payload in UEFITool 51+ side by side
On 1_System_BIOS_with_BIOS_Guard_A.19.data.payload, extract each volume one by one as-is
On programmer or BIOS region dump with UEFITool 25, replace volumes 1-3 below E34AEDB0-BB97-49BC-B139-1E419B3560E2 (ie replace FD44D4FE-239B-4C57-B96D-E47E066A50A3 + 4F1C52D3-D824-4D2A-A2F0-EC40C23C5916 + AFDD39F1-19D7-4501-A730-CE5A27E1154B) from above extractions.
Then save as working.bin
In UEFITool 51+ expand BIOS region and get start offset of final volume, this will differ depending on what you are working on (full BIOS programmer dump, or BIOS region dump, so be careful and make sure you are at correct location when you do hex insert)
Open working.bin in hex editor, go to above offset, open final volume you extracted from stock in 2nd tab of hex editor, select all, go back to working.bin and paste last volume in place at the correct offset. Save file
Open working.bin in UEFITool 51+ and make sure FIT Table is populated and not empty/blank, AND that Parser tab of 1_System_BIOS_with_BIOS_Guard_A.19.data.payload and working.bin match same/same
If Boot Guard is not enabled (no measured/verified boot on left FPF side when you check with MEINFO -verbose), then flash or program in your working.bin

Hi guys

I am not new I just lost my password and the system strangely doesn’t allow me to change it so created a new account.

Could yo kindly extract the bin from this exe? I need to reflash my venue pro with a usb programmer straight on the bios chip as it just started to randomly not booting since I updated.

Plus it windows is very choppy now and wanna unlock the full power of the i5 with the stuttering fix in the bios.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-uk/…?driverId=R87W7

Thanks

@Cryo - what is your BIOS chip ID? Please dump current BIOS contents with programmer, normally you can’t just extract Dell exe and program it in.
If there is two chips, dump both, and give me ID of both, and DO NOT erase or write anything to either until you’ve given me the ID’s, in case you need to use certain software version to dump and or write
This BIOS does not contain .bin BIOS, or anything you can directly replace into dumped BIOS as a direct swap in, you need to do manually similarly to what I described two posts back (only HDR inside this EXE)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…312362541336890

You also need to make sure Boot Guard is not active on this system using MEINFO from V9 ME System tools, >> MEINFOwin.exe -verbose
Look at end of report, if you see Measured or Verified boot enabled on left/FPF side, you cannot modify the BIOS (referring to your i5 stutter fix), not sure what that is, but if it’s modifying anything in the main DXE volume you can’t if Boot Guard is active or = brick.

Small note regarding Dell “HDR” (PFS) images: the actual structure name for these BIOS packages is “PFS”, not “HDR”. People call it “HDR” because that’s what they see at the top but that’s just the Signature tag of the PFS Header (HDR). There is also a PFS Footer (FTR) at the end if you notice. As for PFS component extraction, I suggest you use Dell PFS BIOS Extractor which is objectively the best utility for parsing PFS structures currently, initially based on the great work of CodeRush at PFSExtractor-RS.

Hey LOst

Thanks for the info. Regarding the bios modification, I was talking about the atrocious dell bios parameters which throttle the cpu.

If you wanna check this is the thread:

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19576995

and this is a correlated video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaLHKJ8Ehr4

@Cryo - You’re welcome! The first link you gave is the correct way to do this, and avoid having to flash mod BIOS and all the hassles there (and possible brick if boot guard enabled etc)
Just do as he outlined and you’ll be all set

@Lost_N_BIOS

I am trying to but it won’t let me boot from usb.

The only way I can boot it’s via freedos bootable usb but I am totally ignorant of the command lines required.

I can’t boot it with just the file placed on the root of the usb.

Make current dump of BIOS.

@Cryo - Follow step #1-2 only here to make bootable USB, then put whatever files you need on there and boot to USB. Command lines required are shown in that guide you linked.
<Request> Flagship X470 Gaming 7 Wifi Motherboard BIOS Fix

Or use the freeDOS USB you already made and have booted to, unsure what the problem is? You said “it wont let me boot USB” and then next line you said you boot to USB.

@Lost_N_BIOS

I meant that if I wanna boot up straight from the bios with the file bootx64.efi it won’t let me. I tried every-thing legacy, uefi , disabling secure boot but nothing, just black screen. That is why I wanted to downgrade to a lower bios. I think they have made some kind of binary adjustment that renders the trick useless with the new bios.

On the other hand, if I create a bootable usb freedos with rufus and place the bootx64.efi in the root, it let me boot but it doesn’t recognise the commands stated on the mod.txt file.

I didn’t get it? Was that sarcastic?

@Cryo
Can you boot in Windows and make BIOS dump by Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0 (with 16MB size)?

@DeathBringer

Oh thanks I thought you were joking.

Yes I can boot into windows but it is very hit and miss.

What are you up to with the dump, if you don’t mind me asking?

I’ll try to extract current password. You need it, don’t you?
Nevermind, I lost in translating.

1. Take USB stick and format to FAT32
2. Create directory structure EFI\Boot
3. Download and unzip bootx64.7z
4. Put BOOTX64.EFI to Boot directory.
5. Boot from this USB stick

1. Take USB stick and format to FAT32
2. Create directory structure EFI\Boot
3. Download and unzip bootx64.7z
4. Put BOOTX64.EFI to Boot directory.
5. Boot from this USB stick

It’s exactly what I have done (except extracting since I have already the .efi file) it won’t let me boot. Black screen.

The only way I can boot, it’s via freedos but on the prompt, the commands are not recognised.

Regarding the password, I was referring to my older win-raid account, not the bios password. :slight_smile: