How to install Win8/10 onto an SSHD for best performance

Fernando please help…I have a sshd 1tb+8gb WD10s21x on my lenovo yoga 500 15-ibd and I cannot have acceleration mode turned on. What drivers I need ? What I must do? Thank you.

motherboard.jpg

sshd.jpg

@undisput :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

What I need to know is the chipset and the SATA mode of your Lenovo Yoga system.

Have you ever been able to turn it on?
Which OS are you running and which Controller names do you see within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” and “Storage Controllers” sections of the Device Manager?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I tried on windows 8.1 pro and also on win 10 pro and it dosent work. No acceleration mode turn on. Now with fresh windows install it says on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers that I have standard sata ahci controller. A fter I install one Irst software with drivers on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers it says I have Intel 9 seriers ahci controller. I put some photos in previos post…I dont know what sata mode is because on bios I dont have this option. My laptop is a lenovo yoga 500 15-ibd. I think it is on ahci mode…

@undisput :
Thanks for your reply.
You cannot enable the “acceleration mode” (correct name: “Intel(R) Smart Response Technology”, using the SSD for data caching), because the Intel SATA Controller of your system is running in AHCI mode.
If you want to use the SSD part of your SSHD for data caching purposes, you have to set the SATA Controller to “RAID” and to install the OS onto the HDD part of the SSHD. Once the OS is up and running, you can enable the “Intel(R) Smart Response Technology” (ISRT) by enabling the “Acceleration” from within the Intel RST Console Software.
For details please look >here<.
Since your system obviously has an Intel 9-Series chipset, I recommend to install the Intel RST(e) driver v13.2.4.1000 WHQL, but you can use any other Intel RST(e) driver of the v13 or v14 platforms.

Ok, I understand but please tell me how to set it up in raid mode? Please help, thanks.

You have to enter the BIOS, to search for the Intel SATA Controller settings and then to change the SATA mode from “AHCI” to “RAID”.

I dont have these settings…My menu in bios is very simple…I dont know where to find. I also have the latest version of bios…Again, my laptop is a lenovo yoga 500 15-ibd…

@undisput :
Since I don’t have your laptop, I don’t know where to search for the SATA mode settings within the BIOS. Maybe your laptop doesn’t support the RAID mode at all.
What let you think, that the “Acceleration mode” option of the Intel RST Console will work with your system? Have you ever got it successfully running?

No, but why this laptop comes with hybrid sshd from factory if the purpose of this hdd can’t be achieved??? Why a sshd and not a simple hdd?

You should better ask Lenovo than me.

The SSHD is faster due to its SSD part. Why don’t you install the OS onto the SSD part and use the other one for data storage?

It is a sshd , on windows installation menu I dont see ssd disk, only hdd disk…So I think If I dont have the acceleration mode on after instaling some Intel RSTe drivers and software i guess my sshd is not working like a sshd only like a hdd no?
You say the only option to work like a sshd is to change in bios , the mode from ahci to raid. But I dont see this option in my bios menu…So, what I can do?

@undisput :
Provided, that you don’t get any support by Lenovo, I only see the following options for you:
a) Do a quiick format of the SSDH and install the desired OS onto it (hoping, that it will be located within the faster part of the SSHD).
b) Replace the SSHD by a real SSD and install the OS onto it.

Since your problems/questions regarding the usage of your SSHD have nothing to do with the topic of this thread, I will move our discussion into a separate thread and give it a meaningful title.

First I formated and install win 8.1 pro. Then a I do a level zero format and then install win 8.1 pro. The problem not solved…Yeah, I think I will buy a ssd if nobody helps me…

@undisput :
As already announced, I have moved our discussion into the SSD Sub-Forum and gave it a hopefully meaningful title. If you have another idea regarding the title, you can change it by editing the start post of this new thread.

This is what I would do.
By the way: An SSD, which contains the OS and has enough space for other data (maybe on a separate partion), is much better performant than any SSHD or Intel Smart Response Technology solution.

Good luck!

Yeah, I know it is better a ssd…But if this laptop comes with a good sshd why not profit from him? I must find a way to chose in bios from ahci to raid…

That ssdHD you have is a 1tb with 8gb cache. The 8gb ssd cache on it works transparently. You can not see it or directly access it. The firmware of the hdd decides what to store on the 8gb cache. So leave your system as is. Might wanna reinstall windows though.

Your system correctly recognizes it as hybrid drive. But I don’t know why it even says disabled. Hybrid drives are transparent. You just use it like regular drive and the firmware of hdd does everything.