[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@edival :
I saw your question, but how should I answer without knowing what the user svan has done with his BIOS?
My advice: Modify the BIOS yourself by following my guide and attach the original and your modded BIOS.
Then I will tell you, whether you can flash it or not.

I turned on CSM but it doesn’t help, maybe this is a feature of my motherboard, and on it it’s impossible

@Reaktiv :
With enabled CSM you will be able to solve your problem, but maybe you have to change some other BIOS settings as well. I cannot give you any specific advice, because the related UEFI/Legacy BIOS settings are different for each mainboard model.

@Fernando :
I tried all possible bios settings, and even unlocked ami bios to get additional settings, they do not help. I had to abandon the nvme disk and insert it into another computer

Hi Fernando!

I need some help to my asus z87k motherboard. The description it was clear but I couldnt upload moding bios du to "verification fail". Motherboard dosent have bios flash button. Just EZ setup 2 or Win bios upgrade. How can I flash modded Bios in this case?

Thank you!

@Roby0086 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Please look into the start post of >this< thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have an asus m5a99x evo r1.0 motherboard. ram ddr3 gskill 16gb 1600mhz. I have a saphire r7 370 video card. The XPG Spectrix S40G 512GT 512GB card. PCI-E PCI Express 3.0 X4 NVME M.2 adapter with the Bios m5a99x evo 1708 version of how to modulate (picture or video) I’m waiting for your detailed help. Best regards

@baskan :
I have moved your request into this already existing thread. Within the start post you can find everything you need to get full NVMe support with your old mainboard.
Tip: Use the MMTool v4.50 and insert the uncompressed NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module. The insertion works perfectly (just tested it wth the BIOS 1708).
Good luck!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

thanks

Welcome everyone - this is my first post here! I was installed the bios modification to my ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard and everything went succesfull but… I can’t see PATA or PATA SS device on boot list. I’m not sure if I should see it when nvme disk isn’t connected to pci plug or everything is ok and i will see it as i connect disk to my motherboard ? I also save image of bios (with AFUWIN) which is currently install then openem in UEFITOOL and i can see the nvme modification. Thank you for your help.

Thats normal
It is only there when the m2 nvme disk is actually connected, (e.x Like with USB Sticks)
if it is not there is nothing to show.

@luki530 :
As StormRaider already has written, the BIOS can only detect and show disk drives, which are physically connected to the mainboard.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando Thank you very much for teaching me.

20191010_092326.jpg

20191010_092417.jpg

20191010_092433.jpg

20191010_092436.jpg

20191010_143437.jpg

Hi all,

Does anyone know why NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs is advised over the combination (NVME.ffs+NvmeINT13.ffs+NvmeSmm.ffs)?
Are there any performance/functional differences?

Thanks.

I have never given such advice. The problem, which may arise is, that the modules interfere each other.

@Fernando - in regards to above Q - have you ever compared/tested performance or usability of BIOS that did not originally have NVME Compatibility, to insert NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs Vs / Or >> NVME.ffs+NvmeINT13.ffs+NvmeSmm.ffs combo?

@Lost_N_BIOS :
I tried both methods and found, that they work both. According to my experience the insertion of the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs is the better and safer method to get full NVMe support for old systems with an UEFI BIOS, but without native NVMe support.
As you can read >here<, I got already in June 2015 full NVMe support for my Z68 chipset system by simply inserting the 3 NVMe modules (NVME.ffs+NvmeINT13.ffs+NvmeSmm.ffs), which I had previously extracted from an ASUS Z97 PRO BIOS, into the BIOS of my Z68 mainboard.
What I haven’t tested yet is, whether it is a good idea for a specific system with native NVMe support to replace the “body” of the NVMe.ffs module by the “body” of the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module.

Sounds like both may work for some, but not all (unknown, too many untested boards/BIOS), but no matter what >> NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs is the better and safer method to get full NVMe support for old systems with an UEFI BIOS, but without native NVMe support.
Thanks Fernando
@Alex_BY ^^

Hi @Fernando , @Lost_N_BIOS ,

I also tried both methods in my hunt to fix NVME driver behavior. And both methods were working well.
Observed differences:
- 3ffs method does not show anything in BIOS (nothing like PATA SS), but the drive works fine.
- 3ffs method was giving substantially lower performance on my dirty OS (safe mode or fresh install - the performance is approximately identical to NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs).
- I am not sure if it is 3ffs or not installed Intel ME driver - sometime the PC does not shutdown (keeps being powered).

Why triggers me is that x79 is not natively supported NVME chipset. However, Asus put one model on market with native NVME (Asus X79 Deluxe). And this model has these three files to enable NVME. So, somehow, I was thinking that for me, it is a safer bet to go with the manufacture supported method.

Now I have a fresh OS install, so maybe I can also try NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs. Also, kinda curious to test this option

Thank you so much Fernando!!! My Msi Z87-G45 booted like a charm (less of 10seconds) on my Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
I followed your advice on post #1 and downloaded the moded MSI Z87 G45 Gaming BIOS_E7821_v1.9 by Hancor saw here:
[OFFER] MSI Z87 G45 Gaming BIOS_E7821_v1.9
I’m so happy!!!

I have 3263 Mo/s in Reading and 3036 in Writing
Running on PCIE at 4X
Thank you!!!