[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi sHawTY, Could you share your Bios, I have not managed to configure it successfully, greetings.

Hi guys,

I noticed a BIOS update by @Svan for my laptop that might work, but I wanted advice on if it could cause any issues.

I noticed the specs looked the same but the CPU for the BIOS update is for the I7-4710HQ.

I have the G751JY with the CPU I7-4720HQ. Does the exact processor make a difference, or will this work without issue? Itā€™s a work machine so I need to be certain I wonā€™t brick it :slight_smile:

Here are my specs:
My System Specs:
- ASUS ROG G751JY
- i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz, 2594 Mhz
- BIOS 213 (6/11/2019)
- 24GB RAM
- Replacing 250GB M.2 AHCI SSD with 1TB NVMe SSD
- Secondary drive: 1TB spinner
- Running Windows 10 build version 10.0.18362

Any help to add my early cpu that i mentioned?? Thank you in advance

Strangeā€¦
Iā€™ve used a M.2 -> PCIe adapter with success on two old computers. One with PCIe 1.1, the latter with PCI 2.0.
The tested NVMe disk was HP EX900, 120GB. It was working and performed much better than SSDs on SATA II (available in both computers).

Sequential transfer, as measured by Crystal Disk Mark was:
PCIe 1.1: Read 520MB/s, Write 596MB/s,
PCIe 2.0: Read 820MB/s, Write 624MB/s.
Whereas SATA II connected disks didnā€™t exceed 250MB/s (These are Crucial M500 and MX500, capable of over 500MB/s).
All the other CDM measurements were much better for EX900.

Booting is a different story, I think this would be difficult, if possible at all.
But using it as a fast second disk was possible. Much faster than anything that you can use with such old computers.

Perfect!!! on Mainboard GIGABYTE H81M-HD3 rev.1

Last oficial BIOS: H81MHD3.F7 11/08/2015

I have followed step by step the instructions (first page on this thread) and all right!!! Thank you so much

Much better M2 than SSD, tested with CrystalDiskMark:

SSD read Q32T1 501,5 MB/s -> M2 read Q32T1 1.667,4 MB/s
SSD write Q32T1 106,0MB/s -> M2 write Q32T1 1.534,2 MB/s

Greetings,

@kris123berkeley @Reaktiv @joudnic @Spekulatiuscreme @Dna7291
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

@kris123berkeley : It is fine, that you solved your problem yourself and finally succeded - congratulations!

@Reaktiv : Your NVMe SSD can only be booted in UEFI mode using the GUIMode Partition Table (GPT). If you want or need to boot off another device (USB Flash Drive/SSD/HDD), you have to ENABLE the CSM settings within the BIOS.

@joudnic : Since your additional request has noting to do with the topic of this thread, post it into >this< Sub-Forum and donā€™t forget to give your request a short, but meaningful title.

@Spekulatiuscreme : All needed information and download links are within the start post of this thread.
By the way: The tool named ā€œUEFI BIOS Updaterā€ can only update, but not insert an originally not present BIOS module.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@glorifyday :
Thanks for your interesting report.

@mromeroga23 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Whatts,

I realize this is a reply to an older post, but do you still have a copy of the modified X9SCM-F BIOS for NVMe drives?

I am planning to try this with my board, but using a working modded bios would make me feel more at ease.

Thanks

Alex

Edit: Sorry, realize this is a post to the main topic. Will message them directly.

@AlexHuang :
I doubt, that the Forum member Whatts will see and read your message.
Why donā€™t you try to insert the NVMe module yourself? If you are unsure about the result, attach your modded and the original BIOS. Then anyone among our experts will do a look into them and tell you, whether the BIOS has been modified correctly or not.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi! im having some problems with msi z87 mpower i have done the mod i installed windwos on my nvme, but i cant see the windows boot manager, tried legacy + uefi and only uefi. Anyone has any ideas?

@kermokk :
How did you install Win10 onto the NVMe SSD?
Does the BOOT section of the BIOS list a device named "PATA" or "PATA_SS"?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey! Thanks for the answer. I got it sorted, i just copied wrong bios to my usb driveā€¦ I feel dumb. Thanks for the guide!

Hey @Fernando , Iā€™m curious if you had a chance to see my question? :slight_smile:

@edival :
I saw your question, but how should I answer without knowing what the user svan has done with his BIOS?
My advice: Modify the BIOS yourself by following my guide and attach the original and your modded BIOS.
Then I will tell you, whether you can flash it or not.

I turned on CSM but it doesnā€™t help, maybe this is a feature of my motherboard, and on it itā€™s impossible

@Reaktiv :
With enabled CSM you will be able to solve your problem, but maybe you have to change some other BIOS settings as well. I cannot give you any specific advice, because the related UEFI/Legacy BIOS settings are different for each mainboard model.

@Fernando :
I tried all possible bios settings, and even unlocked ami bios to get additional settings, they do not help. I had to abandon the nvme disk and insert it into another computer

Hi Fernando!

I need some help to my asus z87k motherboard. The description it was clear but I couldnt upload moding bios du to "verification fail". Motherboard dosent have bios flash button. Just EZ setup 2 or Win bios upgrade. How can I flash modded Bios in this case?

Thank you!

@Roby0086 :
Please look into the start post of >this< thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have an asus m5a99x evo r1.0 motherboard. ram ddr3 gskill 16gb 1600mhz. I have a saphire r7 370 video card. The XPG Spectrix S40G 512GT 512GB card. PCI-E PCI Express 3.0 X4 NVME M.2 adapter with the Bios m5a99x evo 1708 version of how to modulate (picture or video) Iā€™m waiting for your detailed help. Best regards