[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@lfb6 For the broken link, I was talking about the modded F20e bios that @Lost_N_BIOS referred to.

@bergelru - You’re welcome! Yes, since you can boot and all was fine, you have nothing to worry about, this wont cause any delayed issues. IF and when this causes a problem, it’s a brick as soon as you reboot
Yes, I noticed that about the link when I mentioned above, I will add a mirror now (the link is still good, but that site has been messed up all week ) Adding mirror there now, just in case you want it = Done

Yes, F20e is stable, but I always run latest beta BIOS, so to me that is always best unless there is some known issue.
Since this board is EOL, you can consider that the final BIOS most likely, and then any updates you want you’ll have to request someone to mod for you, such as updated ME FW, or microcodes etc.
I am using Z390 now, and have Z490 I will be moving to as soon as I have time to re-theme it’s BIOS, but I do have this Z77X-UD3H board and have used F20e without issues.

@Fernando @lfb6

Here is quick solution, it could be done in other ways, as I discussed randomly above, but I found quicker easier solution up front before getting into all my “one at a time” this/that dance
So I’m stopping here for now unless you’d like to know other more involved solutions?

1. Using UEFITool 25.0 >> Do normal NVME mod like you just don’t care >> Save >> Interim.bin
2. Using UEFITool 25, 51, 57 etc, open Interim.bin >> Extract FV_Main_Nested As-Is >> Save as Nested-Mod.ffs
3. Use MMTool 5.02.0024, Open Stock BIOS >> Go to Replace Tab
4. Select Nested FV at top >> GUID - AE717C2F-1A42-4F2B-8861-78B79CA07E07
5. Replace with Nested-Mod.ffs >> Ignore what you see in MMTool at this point
6. Save (Hours!)
7. Rename to stock BIOS .extension (I think any name or extension may be OK on this board, I can’t remember)
8. Done >> Win

Flash via Qflash, no Q-Flash block removal required.

* edit - @lfb6 - Padding above/below uCode/BIOSAC is one to really watch out for, this almost always = brick if added or removed.
And any ucode you see in PEI volumes,only do via either MMTool or straight hex (w/corrections to ucode header is/as needed, for size/checksum)

Hello Everybody,
After modding my Bios yesterday, I try to flash it with the ASUS tool EZFlash 2 from the Bios option, but I have an error when I try to flash with my file.

IMG_3318.JPG

What can be the problem ?
Is the modded BIOS corrupted ?
Need I use an other program to flash the Bios ?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks again! Did the mc edits with hxd, and changed checksums direct hex, too. Only thing was size of new mc block in PEI volume, filled to size of old mc block with FF? (But deleted both files from earlier post anyway!)

@Captain_Caverne :
Your modded BIOS is not corrupt, but you cannot use the ASUS EZFlash tool, when you want to flash a modded BIOS.
>Here< you can find the related instructions and tips.

@lfb6 - You’re welcome! MMTool for PEI ucode edit is much easier and safer
I can’t remember if FF or 00 better for this PEI maintain spacing during that kind of mod, it may differ between BIOS versions/brands, etc too, so probably best to just do these with MMTool when you run into them

@Captain_Caverne - You cannot flash mod BIOS with EZ Flash, except in rare instances. See here for possible ways to flash your mod BIOS - [Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS
Actually, your board has USB Flashback and file must be in properly signed capsule named Z9PED8WS.CAP, that is how you should flash mod BIOS on the Z9PE-D8-WS board
Google and you will find videos, and read your manual too so you know which port to use.

I used the AFUwin solution from Fernando to flash my Bios, and it works, but I can’t see the NVMe SSD in the new Bios for booting on it. I have new option named PATA in hard disk boot possibility.
It’s a Samsung 960EVO on a Gen3 4x NVME adapter, I have cloned the actual sata SSD to this new one, and no “Windows Boot Manager” option. I think I need to start a new installation of Win10.
Strange…
I will try to test other option in Bios, but I’m not sure that the modding Bios works on this Mobo…
Perhaps it’s the adapter, but I can see it on win 10

Hello @Fernando and everyone involved on this topic!

First of all, I appreciate so much for creating this excellent guide, I’m very impressed by the level of details! That was really very well done, congratulations!

Well I’m building a home lab server with following configuration:

MB: ASUS Z9PR-D12 Server Intel C602-A Chipset Socket LGA-2011 - I’ve updated the BIOS to latest version (6002) in order to make CPU work properly
CPU: 2 X E5-2667 V2 Ivy Bridge EP LGA2011
NVME SSD: 1 TB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
RAID 1st Array: 10 x 600GB HDD SAS 15k (Mixed brands)
RAID 2nd Array: 3 x 3TB HDD SATA 7.5K (Hitachi)
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER

My plan is to install the OS in the NVME drive and concurrently create and run the RAIDs for storing files, processing data etc.

So before I get started into this process I’d like to ask you some questions to avoid any possible problem and make sure I’m going to right direction, ok? I’m sorry if some of them are not relevant but I think it doesn’t hurt to ask in this case

-> What would be the main advantages applying the “Modded BIOS Method” over “Clover-EFI Bootloader Method” or vice versa? I’ve noticed the second one looks less risky and simpler than this one but it’s not clear for me which are all cons/pros of each one in terms of performance or anything else relevant.

-> Does this method work well with a RAID configuration running together as I intend to do? I will use the ASUS PIKE Raid Card (8 SATA/SAS ports) + additional RAID Controller Card (4 SATA/SAS ports) + 2 SATA 3.0 ports of motherboard.

-> Looking to my build and what I’m planning to do, would you please have any advice or concerns that I might have along this process? Your expertise and knowledge are most appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

@Captain_Caverne :
The fact, that your Samsung 960 EVO SSD is shown within the BIOS as "PATA" or "PATA_SS", would not be strange for you, if you would have read my guide (= start post of this thread).

Yes I see your instalation guide, but I would like to clone the actual SDD (Sata SSD ) to my new NVMe device without reinstall the complete system.
I have found this post, I will test it tomorow :
https://faststorage.eu/how-to-clone-wind…le-boot-device/

@bluterzengel :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Here are my answers:
1. It is always the best solution to have the OS and the boot sector on the same device (shorter boot time, no problem to change the system drive etc.).
2. During the installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD you should unplug all other HDDs/SSDs, but once the OS is up and running fine, it should be no problem to reconnect them (no matter which SATA mode they are using).
3. To be able to answer your 3rd question, you should tell me the sort of RAID arrays you have created.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,

Thanks for your fast response.

Great! So I’ll go for this Modded BIOS method. Ok, good advice I’ll keep that in mind. Actually I didn’t create the arrays yet but most probably I’ll create after installing the OS on NVMe SSD a RAID10 (w/ 10 x 600GB SAS HDD) and RAID0 (w/ 3 x 3TB HDD).

@Captain_Caverne :
You will only see the NVMe SSD as "PATA" within the BIOS, no matter whether you will do a fresh OS install onto the NVMe SSD or transfer a clone of a previously used system drive. The big difference is, that it is much more difficult to get a cloned OS partition properly working on an NVMe SSD. Furthermore you loose this way the chance to get rid of all the garbage, which has been stored within your old OS partition That is why I recommend to do a fresh OS install.

@Captain_Caverne - I agree with what Fernando says above, but if you must clone… I know, some people dread clean install, or even repair/in-place upgrade that keeps everything >>
Clone SSD to NVME
Installing Clean Win7x64 on M2.2280 PCIe Gen3x4 SSD A-DATA SX8200 Pro << My way
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (330) << Fernando’s way
[Guide] How to migrate Windows 7 64bit boot drive from MBR SATA to UEFI NVMe without data lose << Shawn’s way

OK, thanks for all for your informations and link, I will read all the posts and try to clone my old SSD.
If it fails, it’s not a problem, I have all my informations saved on NAS, and the local installation have no data on SDD.

I would like to clone because this computer has several account for my familly members and some special soft that are hard to configure.

After clone tests, if it’s going wrong I will format the SSD and install a clean WIN10, but I will try to clone before.

Bye.

Hello,
I get as gift older mainboard MSI z77a-g43. I buy NVMe SSD disk Patriot VPN100 (1 TB) running via PCIe. But this mainboard dont support NVMe.
Know somobody if this boar have AMI UEFI BIOS (i know that UEFI have, but dont know if AMI).
Know somobody, if this board its possible to update to full NVMe support?

@pildo :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
All MSI mainboards with an Intel chipset from 6-Series up are AMI Aptio UEFI ones and yes, your Z77 chipset board will support booting off an NVMe SSD after having followed my guide (= start post).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello again @Fernando ,

It’s been a while since our last talk. I’ve finally had time to follow your guide and create a Modded BIOS to my motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12. As I needed to convert BIOS file from “.CAP” to “.BIN/.ROM” and finally convert back to “.CAP” through @Lost_N_BIOS 's guide, I’ve noticed the version >UEFITool v0.28.0< doesn’t show exactly the option “Offset” so I’ve downloaded the same version used by @Lost_N_BIOS which I’ve found on this >link< through another thread. I know this is only a detail but maybe that could be mentioned in some part of this guide, just a word of advice I’m sorry if that was already mentioned somewhere.

Well, actually I’m not sure if I did correctly that last conversion from “.ROM” to “.CAP”, so could you please check if my MOD BIOS looks good? (Please see attached both files)

Regarding flashing process, my mobo doesn’t have the “USB Flashback” feature so I’ll go for AFUDOS tool. The version of APTIO is 4.6.5.3, should I use AMI APTIO 4 or V? I’m in doubt with this because I’ve read in “readme.txt” file of both versions and first one says that’s compatible with Aptio 3, 4 and 4.5. and other one that’s compatible with Aptio 5 so I’ve got confused which would be more suitable. I was going to use APTIO 4.

Thank you so much.

@bluterzengel :
Which UEFITool version did you finally use?

I don’t see any attached file (should be compressed as *.ZIP files).

I suspect, that you should use the Aptio IV tool. You can easily verify it by trying to open the BIOS with the AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool v4.50.0.23. This tool can only open Aptio IV BIOSes.

@Fernando ,

I’ve ended up by using the UEFITool NE Alpha 51 version. I’m sorry, just reattached both files. Could you please take a look?
Alright, APTIO IV looks more suitable =)

Thank you

Z9PRD12_6002_MOD.CAP.zip (4.12 MB)

Z9PRD12_6002_SOURCE.CAP.zip (4.11 MB)