[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

You should see the inserted module after having opened the BIOS with the AMI Aptio IV UEFI MMTool.

I have verified the presence of the nvme module with AMI Aptio IV before flashing the bios. But should it not be a new option in bios to choose nvme disk as boot disk ?

Again thank you for helping me

Whether the module is actually working - you’ll never know till you try it. But either way the 950 Pro will work in UEFI mode without any mods.

It will not show up at all as a bootable device type (like HDD, Removable etc.) but after installing Windows it will appear in the boot list as well as F8 menu.

Thank you for your reply. I’ll try. And I would tell you if it works.

Thank you to all

I just discovered that on my Rampage IV Formula, CSM Disabled NVMe boot does not work if ASMedia SATA OpROM is set to Auto or Enabled - it must be Disabled. If the ASMedia OpROM is not Disabled, it does not detect the Windows Boot Loader on the NVMe drive at all with CSM Disabled.

@LocutusEstBorg :
Your find is no surprise for me. After having set the CSM to "Disabled" no Option ROM module of the BIOS (not ony the ASMedia one) will be usable by the system while booting.

Yes, CSM Disabled should ignore the Option ROM regardless of whether ASMedia OpROM is Enabled or Disabled. However if ASMedia OpROM is Enabled (even though it’s not used when CSM is Disabled), then NVMe fails to boot.

I am talking about after modding the BIOS and booting NVMe with CSM Disabled. Setting ASMedia OpROM to Enabled seems to break the NVMe UEFI mod.

System:
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB @ PCIe3.0 x4 // Boot Partition
UEFI Win10x64 with Samsung NVME Driver
Sabertooth Z77
i7 3770k@4,9Ghz

Hey guys,

i switched my 950 Pro 512GB SSD to my second PCIe Gen3.0 Slot. EFI Win10 Boot Partition with Norton Internet Security Running (Silent Mode on at benching).

Actually everything looks good (especially Anvils Score) but ‘Direct Read (IOPS)’ at Samsung Magician seems to be very low.
Can anyone explain to me the low performance at Direct Read?!

btw. Over Provisioning is initilized (10%). Should I disable it to get 50GB? :slight_smile:

Thank you!!!

You should better forget the Samsung Magician tools.

Usually the SSD manufacturers do already what is needed regarding overprovisioning.
Much more important is, that there is always enough free space on the related SSD partition.

Hey Fernando,

I just want to say think you for all the work you have put together. I would like to say that I have been able to get my Asus Gene V z77 board to recognize and boot off of a Samsung 950 Pro PCIe SSD. Just as a notice, the 3 packages I exported from an Asus z97 board did NOT exist in any version of the Gene V bios. Here is how I achieved my success.

Took the 3 packages out of the Asus Z97-E/USB3.1, then imported them into BIOS 1903 for my board. I had to remove the security capsule and rename the file *.rom. Then I used AFUDOS /GAN to flash modified *.rom BIOS file. I had do a cmos reset, and then set up my bios settings as the following.

CSM (Compatibility Support Module) -> Enabled
Boot Device Control -> UEFI and Legacy
Boot From Network Devices -> Legacy First
Boot From Storage Devices -> Legacy First
Boot From PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices -> Legacy First

Fast Boot -> Disabled
Boot Logo -> Disabled
Option Rom -> Force Bios
Secure Boot -> Other OS

My speeds are spot on, and my system is running great. Hope this info helps others.

If you enable CSM then there is no need to mod the BIOS for the 950 Pro. The purpose of modding is to run with CSM disabled in pure EFI mode.

Hello guys!
I’m new here, and I watching this thread about a month.
Straight to the point.
I have an Asus x79 deluxe motherboard and Windows 7 64bit.
With the latest bios update (4805) the x79 chip gets NVMe support.
I download from Samsung the driver for 950 pro because the windows 7 have not native support. (I tried to install but needs the ssd to proceed)
I also found and bought this: ASUS HYPER M.2 X4 MINI CARD PCI-E.
So I’m ready to go to the next level and buy the Samsung 950 pro or I’m not?
I don’t have experience of moding or play with the UFEI options but I can manage if someone guides me.
Before I pay the amount of 360€, I have some question and I kindly request answers from anyone knows.
Does anyone have done this in a same motherboard (Asus x79 deluxe)?
If there is no one with the same m/b, is it possible to be done
(I want to boot from the Samsung, not for a plain ssd)
or there is issues that can’t be solve?
I read for enable CSM, for disable CSM for many other things and I’m confused.
And of course I’m not willing to throw this amount of cash for nothing.
If someone is pretty sure for this, first thing in the morning is to order the 950.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Sorry my bad English. I do better with Greeks!

Everything should work fine when booting from a PCIe M.2 adapter in UEFI mode with CSM disabled after modding. If you don’t mod, the 950 Pro will boot with CSM enabled. This is how it is on my Rampage IV Formula X79.

Thanks LOcutusEstBorg for your answer.
If I understand, you telling me that the 950pro will boot from my x79 deluxe.

Correct me if I’m wrong.
First I insert the asus HyperCard with the 950pro onto the m/b.
Then I open the pc and go into the UFEI to enable the CSM or it’s already enable?
After open Windows 7 64bit instal 950 drivers and at the end clone the OS from Samsung 840 to the new samsung 950 pro.
Then what? It will boot from the 950 or i have to go to the UFEI mode and check from which ssd will boot?
Are those steps right?
Have I miss anything?

Thanks in advance for your time

@Andkokin :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The difference is, that no LEGACY (Option ROM) modules of the BIOS will be used. That means, that the required EFI modules for the most important devices (incl. the graphics card) should be present within the BIOS.

The boot time will be much shorter, but there is no impact on the performance of the system.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi,

Any one with success get NVME support for Asrock Z87 Extreme3 ?

I trying but without any effect. I make custom bios from Z97 Nvme.ffs , NVMEINT13.ffs and NvmeSmm.ffs compiled and flashed - but nothing happen. Dont see in my boot devices NVME hdd.
I trying also put inside extra SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs but its same case - nothing happen after flashed.
Maybe its not possible get it :frowning: ( i see my nvme sdd proper inside windows installed on other stat sdd disk - then all fine with it )

@p3k074 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which NVMe SSD do you want use as boot drive and how is it connected?

Have you already tried to get Win10 installed onto the NVMe SSD?
I do not see the NVMe SSD either within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS, but nevertheless I am able to boot off it. The only thing you will see after having successfully installed the OS in UEFI mode onto the NVMe SSD is "Windows Boot Manager".

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando thnx for tips :wink:
I get windows 10 installed and all works fine !! :wink:
You’r right - working without bios recognized this device as disk.

Also its possible get windows 8.1 woking or only Windows 10 ?
When i try install Windows 8.1 get info about " can install on this partition / disk ". Its normall ?

EDIT: OK Windows 8.1 works too … UEFI mode makes magic :wink:

@p3k074 :
Thanks for your feedback! It is fine, that you finally got full NVMe support with your Z87 system according our guide.

By the way: I have moved your posts and my reply into this better matching thread.

@all:
The recent report written by p3k074 verifies, that some users are able to get their PCIe/M.2 connected SSD bootable by modding their mainboard BIOS, but are unsure regarding the visibility of the related SSD as “Bootable Device”.
Furthermore the start post didn’t yet contain any informations about why and under which conditions some PCIe/M.2 connected SSD are natively bootable even with Intel systems, whose mainboard BIOS doesn’t contain any special NVMe modules.
That is why I have added a new chapter to the start post of this thread.

Update of the Start Post:

Changelog:
- added: new chapter "This is what you should know"

Good luck with your efforts to get your PCIe or M.2 connected SSD bootable!
Dieter (alias Fernando)