[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@mhdyaz90 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

It may depend on the NVMe SSD model, but I think, that you will have to insert an appropriate NVMe EFI module into the mainboard BIOS (as written within the start post of this thread) and to set the related BIOS settings within the "BOOT" section to "UEFI". Otherwise the required NVMe EFI BIOS module will not be loaded while booting.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey,

maybe we will get a function to include the NvmeExpressDxE (EFI NVMe Module) via UBU in the future? :slight_smile:

EDIT:

Volume number (CSMCORE) will be hard to identifyā€¦isnā€™t it? :frowning:

No. Already I thought about it.

Yes, for this reason.

According to the 950 Pro manual "Booting is accomplished through a feature called the Compatibility Support Module (CSM) that emulates a BIOS environment in the UEFI mode. The Samsung 950 PRO Option ROM resides inside the SSD, enabling the SSD to be the primary boot device and supports the UEFI."

So apparently any "UEFI Only" settings in CSM do not apply to the 950 Pro. With CSM enabled it always boots in legacy mode through its internal Option ROM.

So the 950 PRO will always Boot legacy mode even CSM is disabled?!?!?

AFAIK a LEGACY mode booting is impossible after having disabled CSM within the BIOS.
The Samsung 950 Pro should be bootable with disabled CSM, but this requires an appropriate NVMe EFI module within the mainboard BIOS.

It will use UEFI mode with CSM disabled. With CSM enabled it initialises in legacy mode but still allows booting the OS in UEFI mode.

Ahhhh, thanks for clarifications :slight_smile:

I just poked at X79 Deluxe biosā€¦ very recent this month, it contains 3x nvme related files, I wonder what are these.

nvme.jpg

@ferrummaster :

Only the NVMe module named Nvme is needed and will be used, when you are booting in UEFI mode.
Regarding the function of the other 2 NVMe modules please look into >this< statement given by our BIOS Guru CodeRush.

Happy Easter!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The 950 Pro manual mentions that in CSM mode, the Option ROM loads an NVMe driver for UEFI boot. This looks more or less like what weā€™re doing by modding the BIOS for CSM Disabled. It isnā€™t actually a legacy boot.

Greetings everyone. I have a problem with my S2600CP (Intel) board. I am trying to get a 950 PRO to work with the board but it simply wonā€™t POST. Found this guide to include the NVMe driver but Iā€™m being met with a Security Check error of the modified BIOS file. Iā€™ve seen steps to bypass ASROCK/GIGABYTE/ASUS boards but I canā€™t find any for Intel. I donā€™t want to boot from the 950 PRO, I just want to use it as a cache device. Chipset is C602 and Processor is a xeon e5-2620v1.

Any suggestions?

@vrod :

It will be very difficult and maybe even impossible to get a modded BIOS properly working with an Intel mainboard.
On the other hand the Samsung 950 Pro SSD should work without any BIOS modification, because it has its own NVMe Option ROM. So you should try to get it working without any BIOS modifications, but with other BIOS settings within the "BOOT" section of the original BIOS.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your quick answer! What do you mean with ā€œBut with other BIOS settings within the ā€œBOOTā€ section of the original BIOSā€? Are we talking about editing something in the file itself with the AMI Tool?

There was a guy at another forum who sent me this video: https://youtu.be/vAEhHfsNj58?t=4m55s <- Apparently they had to do some bios modding as well, however Iā€™m not entirely sure what they did.

The 950 Pro should boot in legacy mode. Disable any UEFI only boot settings.

Hello,

I did check and every ā€œuefi-onlyā€ setting is disabled. I created a ticket at Intel now, itā€™s going to be interesting to see what they say.

Hello everyone , I have a P8P67 Deluxe motherboard and I made the integration of the nvme module into the bios. I flashed the bios changed and it did not work , I tried again and it worked . But any change in the modded bios not new options is il normal ?

I used the uncompressed module, but I do not know which one is more suitable for me.
Thank you for your help

On my Rampage IV it did not even appear as a boot device. It only showed up in the boot loader list as Windows Boot Manager after I installed Windows on it.

Mine did not work after flashing either until a full power off and restart.

@Mchojin :

It was ok to insert the uncompressed module (in compressed form). The compressed module is only required, when you get the message, that there is not enough space within the BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for your reply. As I see no difference in the bios how can I be sure that the change has been taken into account?
My intention is to buy the Samsung SSD 950 Pro M2 with an adapter card

I would like to install the operating system on it