[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Why… no one can assure you of nothing my friend, mod is risky ops for all users, even experienced and i didnt do it for you or anyone else, i just verified your statements.
Mostly the mods i can share to users is for motherboards with dual-bios or USB Bios flash back, over_n_out, good luck.

No worries on upload - completely understand

I only asked as mine looks different to your image:

Yes, only in DXE used, i used the old_4, the current one is the 5, your choice as it has the same features.
Gonna repeat again, it was used the MMtool 5.x and the DXE was inserted in the end of volume 1 of the bios, compared the volume of both files and the original pad was still in place.
Both your shared captures are not the same by looking at the GUIDs and not existent original PAD, so pay attention to your actions.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your help and honesty on this.

I can now add ffs file using MMTool based upon your advice, but now cant save itL

@Fernando
Hello there!
I confirm that my new NVME SSD is fully working, as the boot/system drive, in my old ASUS P9X79 motherboard.
Thank you very much for all your efforts and suggetions!

By the way, Crystal Disk Mark 8 results are much better in Windows 7 than in Windows 10 (I have a multi boot PC). Do you have any suggestion about the best driver I could install in Windows 10 for better performances?

The answer can be found >here<.

Thanks again for your pointers, tried my modded BIOS and it worked first go:

Booting from Quad NVME card (Bifurcation 4x4x4x4) with 4 x Rocket 1TB NVME

Congrats, enjoy it.

Hi Fernando,

I have a Samsung NP900X3L laptop with a M.2 SSD slot. When I put in an NVMe SSD (I tried Samsung 980 Pro), the UEFI BIOS does not recognise this (“SATA Port 1: Not installed” - see screenshot) and the SSD is not recognised when trying to install Windows 10 via a USB Flash Drive. A SATA SSD (WD Blue SA510) works fine.

You commented previously for another user here that the BIOS of this laptop (version P10AFN) natively supports NVMe SSDs and no modding is needed. However, I have the same problem as user “ura535” and it looks like modding is required.

How do I double-check this, how do I download my BIOS BIN and is an already modded BIOS for this laptop available (my search in the sub-folder was not conclusive)? Is it definitely possible to use and boot from an NVMe SSD with this laptop? Is your modding guide suitable for my problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Seems that your model NP900X3L (Sky Lake) M.2 interface only supports SATA SSD…this maybe be a Samsung design/lock. Now the NP900X3N (Kaby Lake) accepts NVMe.
(NVMe doesnt use SATA ports).

EDIT: It was not “magically”"… the model its the next gen Kaby Lake…

@macmatt43
MeatWar seems to be right - the M.2 port of your laptop model obviously supports only the SATA AHCI data transfer protocol and not the NVMe protocol (although its BIOS contains an NVMe module).
If we are right, you will not be able to use any NVMe SSD with your specific laptop. A BIOS modification will not change anything regarding this point.

@Fernando @MeatWar

Thank you both for your quick responses!

I think I have seen that exact video on YouTube of the screenshot @MeatWar posted in the reply. In it, the person upgraded their Samsung Laptop (I think it is a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2017) from a M2 SATA SSD to a M2 NVMe SSD and the setting in the BIOS “magically” changed from “SATA Port 1” to “NVMe Port 1”, i.e. both seem to be supported?

So I was hoping that using the BIOS mod, I would be able to achieve the same on an NP900X3L… But it sounds like my motherboard is 1-2 years too old?

@macmatt43
There are 3 different sorts of M.2 slots available for Storage Devices:
Sort 1: Supports only NVMe (“M Key”)
Sort 2: Supports only SATA AHCI (“B Key”)
Sort 3: Supports both data transfer protocols (“M+B Key”)

For details look >here<.
Anyway your problem has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, because the original BIOS of your laptop supports booting off an NVMe SSD. Your problem is, that the M.2 slot of your laptop obviously doesn’t support NVMe at all.

Thank you - although the bit about keys confused me again.

The M2 slot in my NP900X3L is a Key M slot. It physically accepts Key M NVMe SSDs, like the Samsung 980 Pro (see photo).

It obviously also accepts Key M+B SATA SSDs like the WD SA510. However, the SATA SSD works, the NVMe SSD does not.

So that was initially the reason I posted in this thread based on the “if it fits, it should work” logic of Key M / NVMe. I was probably wrong, still.

Unfortunately some times OEMs do their marketing strategies like this and block some models. Usually no mod can redo the internal motherboard HW design and bus connections.
Dont want to take down your hopes with this but…

1 Like

Thanks for the help - and I think you are right.

Just one last question so I walk away at least having learned something:

How were you (or @Fernando) able to tell from the information I gave you (Key M, SATA works etc.), that modding the BIOS would not work and it’s a hardware deficit? I.e. what is the obvious difference to a “usual” scenario where modding the BIOS is suitable to make NVMe work?

Thanks again - this is a great thread!

We can help to make an NVMe SSD being bootable by a simple BIOS modification (here: addition of a missing module), but only the mainboard manufacturer can set the required data transfer connections (here: to the CPU and not to the on-board SATA AHCI Controller).

1 Like

Ihave Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way! FS RX100 S8

can someone modify my bios and insert nvme support when I try from mmtool I get the message error getting firmware imformation

I have successfully modified for FS RX300 S8 and GA-H61M-S2PV but with this FS RX100 S8 wont…

FS = Fujitsu Siemens

@Fresko
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Which error message did you get? Have you entered the correct Vol. Index of the BIOS’s DXE Volume (here: 07:06-00)?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

yes tried at 07:06-00 CSMCORE, so I modified the other two motherboards and it works, on this bios it won’t

please help