[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi
Theoretically, I can do the BIOS file for your motherboard.
I have to look for the associated
Software.
It requires the exact type of motherboard.

@MasterOne
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
This thread has been designed just for users, who are curageous enough to do the required BIOS modding procedure themselves by following my step-by-step Guide (= start post).

@alpok57
If you want to share an already modded BIOS, you should start a new thread within the Forum’s “Offers: Already modded special BIOSes” Category.

So, I modified the BIOS, but in the modified file the pad file appears below the NVME module that is not in the original.

What should I do now? Use another program to modify the file? Won’t the same problem occur?

@Ripthorn
Which BIOS modding tool did you use (AMI Aptio IV MMTool v4.5 or UEFITool)? Did you try the alternative as well?
If you cannot solve the problem yourself, please attach the original and your modded BIOS.

@Fernando
Since my BIOS doesn’t have enough space, I inserted the smaller NVME module using the APTIO tool and UEFI Tool, both of which add the pad-file at the end.

I followed the other guide and removed a language from the BIOS and inserted the standard NVME module, this time there was no pad-file added at the end.

What should I do now? Roll the dice and try the BIOS with the language removed?
Here’s the BIOS files if you want to take a look:

ECS_Q87.zip

@Ripthorn
Bios mod and flashing and is always “Rolling the Dice” don’t you know this already… even official bios updates can get bad… as we all know and seen in the past.
Your asset and your choice only.

@Ripthorn
You are right, the DXE Driver Volume of the original BIOS doesn’'t offer enough space for the insertion of an additional DXE Driver (the manufacturer ECS-Eltegroup has put 15 different MyOemLogos into it!).
So you probably have to remove another not required module from the DXE Driver Volume to get the “normal” NVMe module v5 properly inserted.
Good luck!

Well, I decided to roll the dice and… it works!
I used the language-removed file with the full-size NVME module :sweat_smile:
Windows 11 boots with no issues, although there is no NVME setting in the BIOS. That’s just how it is, right?

Thanks for the amazing guide @Fernando

@Ripthorn
Enjoy your success!

The BIOS will show the NVMe SSD as device named “PATA”, but only as long as CSM is enabled. If CSM is disabled, the BIOS will not show the NVMe SSD at all, but nevertheless the NVMe SSD is detected and managed by the BIOS. Otherwise you would not be able to boot off it.

1 Like

i have a quick question, i am working with a mini hp folio that came with nvme as internal disk, suddenly one day stopped recognizing it, my question is if i get a fresh NvmExpressDxe from a bios dump, it will be good if i replace it trough uefi tool? bios dump downloaded from a forum picture attached, as you can see there is this nvmexpressdxe, but don´t know if it would work, what do yout think?

@yesuha
It is very unlikely, that your problem (sudden failure of the NVMe SSD detection) will be solved by replacing the NVMe EFI module of the BIOS.

Since your HP system natively supports booting off an NVMe SSD, I will move your help request into a separate thread once it becomes clear, whether your sudden SSD detection problem is hardware (SSD) or BIOS related.
Please check the health and the connection of the NVMe SSD. Addtionally it would be helpful, if you attach or give us a link to the original BIOS file (no *.exe) of your HP device.

sorry for late response, tried replacing nvme slot, checked for continuty and everething is ok. tried nvme ssd at a different computer and it is working, looked at google for the issue is not widelly reported but some repair forums state there is the need for some kind of bios patch to fix this issue, here is my bios dump, was made using ch341 so is full bios dump

original1.bin

@yesuha
Thanks for the BIOS dump. Interestingly your HP BIOS contains a lot of “combined SMM/DXE” modules within the DXE Driver Volume, which is rather unusual. I haven’t yet seen a mainboard BIOS from any other mainboard manufacturer with a “combined SMM/DXE” NVMe module within the DXE Driver Volume.

Did you send a report about this issue to the HP Support? If not, I recommend to do it before trying to solve the problem yourself.

plz i need ASUS B85-A R2.0 mod bios for nvme support

@chriskenzy
For users like you I have written within the first post of this thread an easy to understand step-by-step Guide. Please follow the instructions. If you should run into a problem or are unsure regarding the result of your BIOS modification, please attach the original and your modded BIOS. Then we will do a look into them and let you know the result of our evaluation.
Good luck!

B85-A-R2-ASUS-2107 mod.rar (4.6 MB)
B85-A-R2-ASUS-2107.rar (4.5 MB)

i found a way bypass verification failed error using Ai suite EZ update, by loading the original bios file through the verification and then rename the original. Then name the mod bios with the original name. After it finish flashing notification came to restart but the pc started lagging which made me restart the pc and it shows up in bios recovery mode. So plz check the original and my mod bios to see what i did wrong.

@chriskenzy
The BIOS modification seems to be done correctly (apart from that you have inserted a meanwhile outdated NVMe module, which is not listed anymore within the Guide).
I suspect, that you made a mistake while trying to flash the modded ASUS *.CAP file. Please read and follow the ASUS related advices within the start post of >this< thread.

I have the same HP Zbook 15 G2. I want to boot from NVME drive and add support for it
i already tried to insert the DXE module after the SataDriver with the UEFITool. After that i flashed the new bin file back with the CH341 tool and i got an error: the bios is trying to recover from that but doesn’t post.
Can someone create a working modded bios for this laptop?

i added the 10mb clean UEFI bios
HPZBOOK15G2_bios.zip (6.8 MB).
I also have done a bios dump, that bin file is 16mb, if you want i can add it also.

It should be broken HP rsa/security with latest bios version… i guess.
If you have FD read/write access to bios_region, try to flash with FPT.
Suggestion only with unpredictable results, but do it only if the system can be recovered.