[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@l3th0n :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I just checked my guide. Everything seems to be fine.
So you should check your specific system, if you have problems to read the guide, see the inserted pictures or download the linked files.
I cannot help you with this.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Only someone with the same configuration (X79 chipset mainboard + Intel Optane 900p SSD) can give you a definitive answer, but the problem may be to find such person.

I carefully read everything, understood (I hope) and committed action.

0000.jpg

After I modified and flashed BIOS 4801 with my Asus P9X79, I tried to install Win10 on my SM951, but in the process of selecting the disk I need to install, Win gives me a message that it can not create or find the partition to which it needs to install.
Tried NvmExpressDxe_2 and NvmExpressDxe_3. The result is the same.
I would like to understand what Iā€™m doing wrong and whether it is possible to run the boot disk SM951 on P9X79?
Can I make a mistake at some stage?

@Morlock :
The modded BIOS seems to be fine and the Samsung SM951 (NVMe variant) should be bootable, but what about these questions:
1. Are you sure, that you bought the NVMe variant of the SM951 SSD (there is an AHCI variant available as well)?
2. Is there a device named ā€œPATAā€ listed within your mainboard BIOS?
3. Did you unplug all other HDDs/SSDs, before you started the Win10 installation?
4. Did you boot your USB Flash Drive with the Win10 image on it in UEFI mode?
5. Did you choose the GPT (=Guimode Partition Table) as partition scheme for your Samsung SM951?
6. Has the Win10 Setup detected your SM951 at all? If yes, what does the Win10 Setup show (are there already partitions or not)?
7. Which is the exact error message you got?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Youā€™ll forgive my English. Iā€™m writing through google translate. I understand what is written in English, but with grammar I have a hard time. :slight_smile:
Iā€™ll start on the points:
1) Yes, without a doubt this NVMe SSD. Model: NVMe SAMSUNG MZVPV256; Capacity: 500118192 LBAs.
2) Sir, thatā€™s for sure! Sir! :slight_smile: PATA SM:
3) Of course not. Iā€™m the smartest and most attentive ā€¦ idiot ā€¦ (I certainly tried to install without additional SATA device, but itā€™s point 4).
4) None. Thatā€™s probably the case. Now I will make a bootable USB flash drive Win10 with GPT using Rufus.

7) This paragraph is based on paragraph 4, since error, issued by Win, indicates the impossibility of creating partitions.

I will deal with the issue.

@Fernando
Everything worked out. Thank you for your guidance!
In the BIOS, the SSD is visible as it should. No PATA SM. Full title. All is correct.
Thanks again!

??????????.jpg

@Morlock :
Thanks for your report. It is fine, that you finally were able to get the OS installed onto your NVMe SSD.
Please let us know, at which point you made a mistake (which one?) during your first try.

My main mistake was that I did the wrong boot flash.
I did it for a normal disk, without taking into account UEFI and GPT.
After minor changes in the BIOS (boot) and correctly created boot flash everything went as it should.
As for the BIOS modification, everything was done right from the very beginning.

Ever figure out your freezing issue? I just read that there have been reports of system freezes with the 960 Pro due to bad firmware release. Know you have the Evo but this makes me think itā€™s the firmware.
https://www.techpowerup.com/239265/latesā€¦zes-instability

Hello Everyone!

Wow. Found this site yesterday, and today, Iā€™m ALMOST there. I just installed a new 2TB 960 PRO NVMe SSD in an aging Asus Maximus VI Formula (Z87-based) motherboard using a PCIe adapter board. And yes, of course, I ran into the lack of UEFI BIOS NVMe support. Oh dear. But then I found you good people! And itā€™s working (with the v2 mod option, NOT the v3)! Well, sorta. The problem Iā€™m getting is terrible freezes, making my system almost unusable.

BUT this could be because as soon as I unpacked and installed the 960 PRO, I flashed the latest firmware onto it - the version (3B6QCXP7) I just today found out has been causing some serious issues.

Agh!

Soā€¦ I wait until Samsung doā€¦ somethingā€¦ or other.

Thanks,

- Loady

@loadlover :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded and now are able to boot off the NVMe SSD.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@loadlover
on my two 960 PRO 1TB I have updated (via Magician v5.1) from 2B6QCXP7 to 3B6QCXP7.
I get no problem, However i have seen on the net (touslesdrivers.com) that some 960 PRO users have problems with 3B6QCXP7.
I have seen somewhere that Samsung Magician does no longer offer the suspect firmware nowā€¦
So, if you have 2B6QCXP7 keep it because you can never downgrade Samsung SSDs firmware !
I hope Samsung is working on the detected ā€˜readā€™ performance problems.

Hey, @Fernando
I have Asus P8Z77-V LK and Samsung 960 EVO 500GB.
And Iā€™m about to flash my bios. I completed all steps and now Iā€™m on step - flashing modded BIOS.

But I constatly have ā€œSecurity Verification Failedā€ under Asus EZ flash 2.

EDIT: Found that issue lies under .rom and .cap file extension. Asus EX flash 2 rejects to read .rom files.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

@InsFi :

Please read the start post of >this< thread. If your mainboard shouldnā€™t support the ASUS ā€œUSB Flashbackā€ feature, you will have to follow [url=https://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU.html#msg3571]>this<[/urrl] guide.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@loadlover
Regarding the behavior of the system: Samsung recently recognized that the latest firmware for the 960 Pro and 960 Evo negatively affect the stability of the system.

@InsFi
What can I do without any problems: this mobo has a DIP BIOS chip. Since it can be programmed on the programmer simply by removing it from the socket, you must first convert from CAP to BIN using Asus CAP_to_BIN, and then download the firmware to the IC BIOS and it will work correctly.
Tested on several mobo.

@Fernando no luck so far.
My mobo doesnā€™t have a USB Flashback feature. So I tried AFU approach. But it constantly shows me an error: ā€œSecure Flash Rom verify failedā€ or ā€œSecure Flash function is not supported on this fileā€.
Maybe I misunderstood something?

My steps: take original .cap file -> add nvme module to file via UEFITool -> save it to modded file. Try to flash.
The same is with AFU. Make a backup -> add nvme module via UEFITool -> try to flash modded file.

Maybe UEFITool brokes file somehow?

@Morlock No success either.
My steps:
Convert .cap to .bin -> add nvme module via UEFITool -> save to .cap file -> try to flash.

Asus EZ Flash 2 tool shows me an error: "The file format is not correct. Ensure that the filname extension is .CAP"

Q: Am I mistaken in some of my steps?

Thanks guys.

P.S. Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK. And bios version - 1402

Read a private message.

Why wont nobody help

@cmoneytheman

Help with what?

Help with what?

Forget it!
The user cmoneytheman obviously believes, that it is our duty to search for his intitial help request.
He just has sent me 6 PMā€™s with the exactly same content. That was enough for me. Such users do not deserve any support within this Forum.
So this is the answer to cmoneythemanā€™s question.