[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

So, there is no way to boot my old installation of win 7?) am I right? Because that is something I don’t want to do (reinstall).

@lsichip :
If you want to benefit from the performance of your NVMe SSD, you should install the OS and the Windows Boot Manager onto it.
My suggestion: Do a fresh install of the OS onto the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode. All other options are worse and will take a lot of time as well.

I think you could probably install Clover onto the hard drive after the mod is in place in the bios and then use Clover to jump start your Windows 7 install.

Think that may be doable…

@Isichip

It can be done, but like Fernando said, the process can be time consuming (with the potential of losing your data). And a fresh install is known to give you better performance, probably due to a lack of fragmentation.

The drive with your current Win7 OS most likely has the MBR partition scheme. I don’t know if there is disk cloning software (Acronis, Macrium Reflect, etc) that can clone Win7 from a drive with the MBR partition scheme to a drive with the GPT partition scheme, but I doubt it.

If your current Windows 7 OS was on a drive with the GPT partition scheme, you would already have “Windows Boot Manager” in the boot section of your BIOS. Then you could simply clone the OS to the new drive. I cloned a GPT Windows 7 install from a hard drive to my 960 EVO and it worked. I had to install the Samsung NVMe driver and two Microsoft hotfixes to the Windows 7 OS before cloning it, but after it was cloned to the 960 EVO it showed up in the BIOS as “Windows Boot Manager” and would boot to Windows without issues. Also, trim support would need to be enabled after cloning to the SSD.

But if you have an MBR partition scheme you would first have to convert from MBR to GPT partition scheme without data loss. The Pro versions of MiniTool Partition Wizard, EaseUS Partition Master, and AOMEI Partition Assistant are supposed to do this, but I could find no free software that would.

It turned out that this is a problem with my motherboard. On any, even the official version of the BIOS, sleep has stopped working. The same was true for any operating system. Helped change the settings in the UEFI: advanced → APM → ErP Ready → Enable (S4 + S5).
I flash bios via usb programmer ch341a. :slight_smile:

Thx! It works! Windows 10 successfully boot on the Samsung 960 RPO.
Sorry for my English.

Hi! In may 2017 i was able to succesfully install 960 evo on p85-d3 motherboard and everything is working great except that from time to time my pc just freezes when it’s on idle. I can still move my mouse, but nothing responses at all, so i’m forced to hard reboot my pc. That happens like 3-5 times in a month.

Does anyone here expirience that kind of problem too? Thank you!

List of possibilities:
1. Hardware resource conflict
2. Malware or background app eating resources
3. Corrupt Windows Install

So you got ask your self if this happens with a non nvme drive? Perhaps try a fresh install? I had a machine that use to do that kind of behavior because the
hard drive controller on the motherboard was faulty. Try installing updated device drivers, new intel inf drivers, new storage drivers. Reinstall the OS.
If non of that works probably the motherboard is failing.

Just to inform, I have successfully installed Win10Pro on Samsung 960 pro. I left everything as is, I mean did not change RAID mod of SATA Controller, or anything else. Just plug and install. Everything is working fine.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

Hi,

My motherboard is Asus P8H77-M and I followed every steps. BIOS is modded, CSM, secure boot & fast boot disabled. Even the Win10 is successfully loaded into the NVMe SSD with UEFI mode. Still the SSD doesn’t appear in BIOS as a bootable device.

Any clue?

Thanks a lot anyway for such a detail guide. Really appreciate it!

@soulambusher :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

It is absolutely normal, that the NVMe SSD is not listed as bootable device within the BIOS. Nevertheless it is bootable, but only in UEFI mode, where it is listed as “Windows Boot Manager“.
So there is nothing to worry about.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for your quick reply, but it force me back to BIOS as no drive can be detected even though uefi mode Win10 is already installed onto the NVMe SSD.

No Windows Boot Manager is found in boot selection menu.

Thanks,
Soul

This verifies, that you have done something wrong.
If you want help, you should give us some additional informations:
1. Are you sure, that your mainboard BIOS contains the required NVMe module? Is a device named “PATA” listed within your BIOS?
2. Which OS did you install and how did you do it?

I found out that each time after I flashed the modded BIOS with aufdos /GAN command (I’m sure the modded part ‘NvmExpressDxe_3’ was there), then I re-extract the BIOS using afudos /O command for verification using UEFITool, the modded part simply gone like never modded before.

Has anyone experienced that before?

Thanks,
Dennis

If you should be right, you can easily solve the problem by re-flashing the modded BIOS (without trying to extract it later on).

I think I may have run into the issue which Coderush described.

'sometimes AFU /GAN reports successful flash, but after reboot there are some modifications, that wasn’t applied.'

Do anyone have solution on this situation?

Thanks,
Dennis

@soulambusher :
Hello Dennis,
the best way to find a solution would be to post your problem into >this< thread and to personally address your request @CodeRush.

Lets get the keywords out of the way first:

Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH Motherboard
Toshiba THNSF5256GPUK 256gb NVME

So, created an account just to send thanks for this thread. Got NVME booting and working 100% on my Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 with my NVME that I pulled out of my laptop (THNSF5256GPUK).

First, I tried this method: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/succe…xup5-th.201508/ - It didnt work for me. The bios would not list the drive. I thought this would have worked since the motherboard this person is using is just about the same as mine (UP4 vs UP5). No dice.

At this point I kind of gave up and went the clover route. Boot times were not THAT bad so I kind of left it alone. Today I decided to try the method outlined here.
Worked right away :smiley:
I used the v2 compressed ffs file.

Time to remove the USB stick with clover from the back off my PC :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Once again, so the SEs can find it:
Running a Z77X-UP4 TH motherboard with NVME support added thanks to Fernandos method :slight_smile:

Thanks!

(Bonus : BTW, this NVME drive is quite slow… Was in the laptop as well, thats why I replaced it in my laptop… 1500 seq read (not bad), but about 350mb/s seq writes (eeek…)… Could be because I’m running Windows 7. Still better then the raid 0 SSD setup I had in my desktop previously… Plus the door is open to throw a proper NVME in here now!)

@anom3 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

It is fine, that you succeeded by just following my guide.
Enjoy it being able to boot directly your NVMe SSD!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,
I am having trouble with my MSI Z87 G45 to see the NVMe drive after I had to do a clear CMOS.
Main problem is, that the pictures in your guide are not showing in my browsers… Like the links died.
Could you check em? Would like my NVMe up and running again :smiley:

Actually it might be, that I formatted the drive, and maybe thats the problem…

Although I haven’t tried it myself (I don’t have such SSD), I am pretty sure, that you will be able to boot off the Intel Optane 900p SSD after having inserted the required NVMe BIOS module according to my guide (= start post).

I use the module for my 950 PRO, and I want to buy the new Optane 900p, but I have no plans to upgrade my X79 board. That’s why I need confirmation from someone that it’s bootable.