[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi Fernando, thanks for all your help!
I’ve got a Samsung NP500R5L notebook and a 960 Evo SSD, and as my computer does not recognize the SSD, I’ll try to follow your guide.
However, I don’t have the “souce BIOS” file that is required for UEFITool and I can’t find it anywhere. Samsung’s website has nothing but manuals, and I don’t know if I can find this file in any folder. How should I proceed?

Thanks again and happy new year!

@daggerpwna
From what I can tell, your laptop does not support NVMe. Samsung shows that the storage interface is M.2 SATA3. If you managed to mod the BIOS for NVMe support you still would not get anything more than SATA3 speeds from the 960 EVO. I didn’t thoroughly search the net for information, so you may want to check for yourself before you spend anymore time trying to mod the BIOS.

Hi I just wanted to report that I got the NVMEv3 module working on my ASUS P8Z77-V LK.

@daggerpwna :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
If Paulos7 should be right (and I have no cause to doubt it), you can forget your project to give your Samsung notebook full NVMe support by inserting the required NVMe BIOS module.
I am sorry about that.

@aaronson2012 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded.

Regards and Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

That’s fine, thanks for the answers. I also think that’s the case, however I thought that when people said that virtually most/any chipsets and BIOS can support NVMe, I interpreted that any motherboards also would. My mistake, will try to replace the SSD then. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Cheers Fernando,

Thank you for your guide, it worked perfectly with an MSI 970-G43 mainboard and a 960 Evo installed at a PCI-E adapter.

But I made one little mistake. I installed the SSD at the PCI-E x16 Bus and the Graficcard at the PCI-E x4.

Now my question. Can I simply unplug and change the devices? Is the Bios able to recognize the SSD on the new port?
Or do I have 2 flash the Bios again?

And when I would have to flash the bios again, do I need to install win10 again on the SSD?

Thanks for your help.

@Riddar :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and congratulations for having succeeded to get the NVMe SSD bootable.

Yes, I am pretty sure, that it will work without any problem.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yep, worked well :smiley:
Thanks!!!

Hello All!

I have been following this for a bit, looking to see if it has been pulled of to get NVMe bootable using a PCI Adapter for my Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87 board.
I have all the components, A Samsung 960 Evo and a Silverstone ECM20 Adaptor.
Windows 10 can see the drive and make it usable. But My bios obviously does not.

Is there an update, a modded bios or a method to get my M6H board to see the adapter/m.2 as bootable? Thanks a lot for any replies!

@Zero.exe :

After having flashed a modded BIOS with inserted NVMe EFI module, the Samsung NVMe SSD will be shown within the BIOS as “PATA SS”.

Everything you need and a guide about the procedure can be found within the start post of this thread, but you cannot expect, that we will do the work for you. We do not modify BIOSes upon request. Otherwise it wouldn’t have made sense to write the guides.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

This is the module extracted from Asus Z170 Deluxe latest bios: how to check if it’s newer?

NvmExpressDxe_3.rar (10.7 KB)

I don’t know, but I doubt, that this module has been built by the EDK2 Team resp. the Clover Team at InsanelyMac.
Where did you see the name of the module? I just have checked the related ASUS BIOS and didn’t find a DXE Driver with such name.

Hi
I use a ASUS P9X79 Pro and want to integrate a WD NVMe PCIe
First I tested with the CAP file of mak387 - thanks for providing.
But it don’t work for me.
Again I modded by myself the lastest BIOS 4801 with the actual NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs
Also the same - it will not work.
The Windows Setup find the M2 drive but say "not suitable for installing, because not bootable"
In the BIOS I cannot find the drive anyway.

Do anyone have any idea?

@mazebaer :

Did you really have read and followed exactly my guide (e.g. by disabling the “Secure Boot” and “Fast Boot” options within the BIOS and booting in UEFI mode)?
If you want to get your modded BIOS checked, just compress it as *.ZIP or *.RAR file and attach it.
Do you see within the BIOS a Disk Drive named “PATA SS”?
How and with which tool did you prepare the bootable USB Flash drive containing the desired OS image?
Which OS do you want to get installed onto the NVMe SSD?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I was looking to see if there was already an upload but this is fine.

This lad claims that the Asus adapter got the job done, no modded bios on his M6H.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…0-2126-Download

Hey guys,
I’m pretty dam Happy I found this post, was at the point where I almost purchased a new mb to get nvme support.
This guide was pretty straightforward, great job…

I’ve attached my modded bios, could anyone please confirm I’ve not mucked this up it would be greatly appreciated…

p9x79_nvme_mod.rar (4.18 MB)

Only a natural person and no adapter is able to give full NVMe support to an old Intel 6-Series Chipset mainboard.

@Danatola :
I have checked your modded BIOS - it looks fine.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I was very surprised to find my motherboard recently got a beta BIOS v 3.40b published with the following comment:
1.Enhance M.2 compatibility when using a PCIe to M.2 adapter.
I wonder if it still requires modification. http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS…4(3.40B)ROM.zip
I am very impressed that Asrock is still updating the BIOS after this many years. That encourages me to make sure I buy Asrock again when I do upgrade.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

No, there is no need to insert any NVMe module, because ASROck has added the NVMe support already. I just have checked the BIOS.
Off-topic:

I have removed the advertising link from your Signature. The Signature should just contain the most important infos about your system and nothing else.