[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Keepo :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that everything worked fine for you.

Can you please specify, which captures did not work and which link was missing?
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

If U need I have exclusive official ASRock NVMe UEFI/BIOS (v.X79E9_4.00E) for my Extreme9 (x79) motherboard. Worked fine with my 960 EVO (250Gb) + ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 MINI Expansion Card.

@iRX :
To whom did you address your offer? Maybe >this< Sub-Forum is a better location.

It is a great honor that Dieter (alias Fernando) asks me. It was the link that takes you to the screenshots of "Opening the BIOS file and finding the target DXE Volume" but now I entered and saw that they all work perfectly. I never tire of thanking all the geniuses who collaborate to make the most of resources and help the planet, our home. Ā”Pura vida!

Quick troubleshooting question: Should I be able to see an nvme drive in Windows as a regular drive even with an unmodded BIOS? Iā€™ve followed the guide in #1 and successfully flashed it to my Supermicro X9SRL-F, but cannot see the Crucial m.2 drive in my Lycom m.2 PCIe 4x card in either my BIOS or in Windows. Iā€™m guessing this probably points to a faulty card rather than anything BIOS mod based, but need to make sure before trying other things.

I also did not find my disk, until I finished all the steps installing the W10 OS completely, I entered the BIOS and there it was as main disk: ā€œSAMSUNG MZVPV128HDGM-00000ā€.

Something odd is up. Iā€™ve now tried two SSDs; a Crucial CT500MX200SSD6 and a Hynix SC308 SATA in this Lycom card, and in two different PCIe slots. Not detected by OS or BIOS at all.

@enigmo :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, you should see it from within the Disk Management.

Provided, that you havenā€™t disabled the PCIe slots within the BIOS, your find indicates, that your used Lycom card is faulty.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

That was my suspicion too. I know you arenā€™t looking at the actual kit, but good to know someone else is thinking the same :slight_smile: Iā€™ll return it and get a replacement.
Are there any brands that others have had particular success with, or are they all pretty much the same as long as they work?

@enigmo :
As I just have realized, your Crucial CT500MX200SSD6 SSD uses the SATA interface and not the NVMe one. Is it possible, that you bought the wrong SSD?

I didnā€™t realise that. It was salvaged from my old laptop so Iā€™ve had it a while. So both Crucial and Hynix SSDs use SATA interfaces so wouldnā€™t work anyway :slight_smile: OK. Iā€™m not too fussed about performance, so Iā€™ll see if thereā€™s some other way of making one of these bootable rather than buying a new SSD.

Works on motherboard GA-F2A85X-UP4 (AMD version) !!! The first time in the BIOS the SSD was defined as the Samsund 960 EVO, now referred to as PATA SS. Thanks for the instruction (Guide) !!!

IMG1.jpg

IMG2.jpg

I ask you to excuse me, maybe this question was crushed earlier. What is the difference, in technical terms between NvmExpressDxE_2 and NvmExpressDxE_3? Thank you!

As written within the start post, the v3 module is newer than the v2 one and maybe will support newer NVMe Controllers.
Since the newer module is meanwhile very often tested and well-approved, I just have updated the start post and removed the links to the older v2 NVMe modules.

Thanks for a very well written guide, whilst Iā€™m quite certain that Iā€™ve done all the steps correctly Iā€™d still like to verify that thereā€™s no issues with my modified BIOS file. If someone could take a look at it and verify that Iā€™ve done it correctly Iā€™d very much appreciate it.

http://www83.zippyshare.com/v/vXJ2JRTT/file.html

@Beetwaaf :

I have checked it: The BIOS modification seems to be done correctly.
Good luck!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks! Iā€™ll report back with my success tomorrow then.

Edit: Flashed my bios and got my OS installed, everything seems to be working perfectly.
Thanks for all the effort in getting this guide completed!

Hello,

Iā€™m also with HP Z620 and 960 Evo here, trying to get it to work.
I have tried the BIOS mod and here are the results (using the HP dosflash):
Writing from 3.90 to 3.91mod = System ROM image is invalid
Writing from 3.90 to 3.91 = Slow overwrite
Writing from 3.91 to 3.91mod = At some point I got fast overwrite and OK, but no nvme (maybe was not modded, canā€™t know anymore). The next mods I tried gave all the invalid error

Here be the original and my modded ROMs

Iā€™d be glad to help work this out as I see there are others with the same device and drive setup here.
Iā€™m using clover right now, but the 960revo seems to have lower performance, write maxed at 1.6GB/s and read 3GB/s and many times lower 4K seq performance than others.

@vanarebane :

Since your problem has nothing to do with my guide (= start post of this thread), but with the question how to circumvent the security actions done by HP to prevent flashing a modded BIOS, I recommend to have a look into >this< guide written by CodeRush.

What about sending them a PM and asking for help?

By the way: I have deleted your other post from within the ā€œClover threadā€.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks,

I looked into the suggested thread and this is beyond my understanding of modding. I have no info on was the error caused by security bits as the message was about invalid ROM.

That is a good idea, I send those users a PM.