[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi Fernando,

First of all, thank you for your welcome and fast support!

I’ve created a modded BIOS file following the steps listed at the start of the topic and going to the last DXE file: CspLibDxe as you said.
I attach the an image so you can see what is wrong… Because the Q-flash utility show the same error :frowning:

What I have to do?

bioserror.jpg

BIOS_NVME.png

@Mrcarl0s8 :
Please read the first and the 5th post of >this< thread.
Hopefully this will help you to get the modded BIOS flashed.

@Fernando
I had boot my USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode and disabled “Secure BOOT” and “Fast Boot”.
I follow your “Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD”, it created two parts, one is EFI system, but I still can’t format my ssd storage successfully.
So I can’t install OS into my SSD storage.
I really didn’t what happen @@
Could you help my check the symptom?

ssd.png

@bravowang :
If you want to use the NVMe SSD as bootable system drive with the OS Win10 on it, you should do the following:
1. Unplug your other HDD/SSD.
2. Boot off the USB Flash Drive with the OS image on it in UEFI mode.
3. Once your NVMe SSD has been detected by the Win10 Setup, delete all shown partitions and create a new one sized 420-450 GB. The OS Setup will automaticly create the other (usually hidden) partitions.
4. Choose the biggest sized partition as the target partition.
5. Wait until the OS installation has been completed.
6. Once the OS is running fine (all available Windows Updates loaded and installed, Device Manager without any yellow flagged device), you can reconnect your other storage devices.
7. To prevent, that your computer boots off the previously used OS, which is still on the other HDD/SSD, you should delete there the 100 MB sized EFI partition and the formerly used 97,56 GB sized system drive from within the Disk Management.

Good luck!

Thank you for your attention, Samsung’s Magician if it worked.

@Fernando
Thanks your help, here is my screenshot for my settings.
I think I follow your steps to do the settings, but it didn’t allow me to format my ssd storage.
Could you help me check what problem in my PC @@

IMAG01831.jpg

IMAG01851.jpg

IMAG01861.jpg

Thanks~

@bravowang :
Thanks for your report. It is good news, that your NVme SSD has now been detected by the Win10 Setup.

And what happens, when you do not try to format the SSD, but just delete the existing partitions, create a new one and then directly install the OS onto the biggest sized (here: 476,4 GB) partition?
By the way: Can you please translate the yellow marked chinese warning at the bottom of the screen, where the 3 freshly created partitions are listed?

What is the difference between NvmExpressDxE_2 that i used in the past and the new NvmExpressDxE_3?
Should i create a new BIOS with this module?

@Diagrafeas :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

The v3 is newer than the v2 and may support newer NVMe SSDs.

No, I do not recommend to do this unless you want to replace your curently used NVMe SSD by a newer one. You would not get any benefit by changing the BIOS module.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando
Thanks your great support, and here is the screenshot.
1. I delete all partitions. Please see 1.jpg
2. I tap Next button. Please see 2.jpg
3. It auto separate three partition. Recovery, system and Unallocated space. Please see 3.jpg.
4. If I new all in unallocated space, it still separated Recovery and system space again. Please see 4, 5.jpg.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks.

@bravowang :
Thanks for your report and the related screenshots, which verify, that you have done it the wrong way.
This is what you should do, when the Setup has detected the target disk drive and you are asked, where to get the OS installed:
1. Click oto the "Delete" button and delete - one after the other - all shown partitions. Finally you will see the entire space of the target disk drive as unallocated space.
2. Click onto the "New" button and let the Setup create a new partition for your future system drive C. In your case I recommend to give it a size of 450000 MB (500000 MB - 10% overprovisioning space).
3. You will get the message, that Setup will create some required additional partitions. Agree to that.
5. The OS Setup will show you now a list with all freshly created partitions (and ca 26 GB unallocated space for overprovisioning) and asks you where you want to get the OS installed.
6. Usually the only available formatted partion, which offers the required space for the OS installation, is already highlighted. If not, click onto the shown partition having a size of ca. 450 GB (=450000 MB).
7. Press "OK" resp. "Continue" and everything will be fine.

Good luck!

I just wanted to give a BIG BIG THANK YOU to you Fernando for this amazing post and detailed instructions! I followed everything and was able to successfully boot using a Rampage IV Gene motherboard and a Samsung 960 EVO installed on a PCI Express adapter card! So happy now that I can use a faster NVME with an older system. :slight_smile: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

@Edward74 :
Thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded and now are able to enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD.

Hello everyone.

I’m new here and from what I gathered over the web this is the best place to ask.

I’ve got a MSI Big Bang Xpower II X79 board and as you know it has 7 PCI-E and so I bought 2 Samsung 960 Evo and 2 PCI-E X4 adapters. Connected them to the board and all is fine if you wanna use them as storage but tried last night to make a Storage Pool in WIN 10 (to Raid 0 them) and besides the fact it gave me an error the speed coming from the pool was in the area of 300-400MB/S read so something is wrong.

I flashed an v2.82 BIOS from the MSI forum and ofc I added the NVME module and nothing basicly happenned. In my BIOS I see them as PATA but cannot select them as boot drives + I don’t know how to RAID 0 them and install windows 10 on them. If you could be so kind into helping me as I never done this before.

If you could also help me with a modded BIOS and a flash method that would bypass the security check I would be much appreciative.

Thank you for your answer and have a nice day !

@TyNiX :
Here is my comment to your problems:
1. You cannot create an Intel RAID0 array with your 2 NVMe SSDs as members, because this Intel RST feature is only supported by the latest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up.
2. You cannot boot off the Disk Drive named "PATA", because the booting in "LEGACY mode" requires an NVMe Option ROM, which is not present within the Controller Chips of your NVMe SSDs.
3. Since your NVMe SSDs are obviously detected by your mainboard BIOS, you should be able to get Win10 installed onto one of your NVMe SSDs according to my guide and to boot off it.
4. It should be no problem to use the other NVMe SSD as storage drive.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for you quick answer.
Well at least it should be much faster than my S-ATA 850 Evo. Will try tonight too see if I can get it done.

So I should just boot the USB stick with Win10 and when it comes to drive selection where to install it I should be able to see it there right ?
Should I disconnect the other drives ? I have 3 HDD’s and 2 SSD’s on S-ATA.

Thank you.

Yes, providided, that your currently used BIOS version contains a suitable NVMe EFI module.

Yes, this way you can be sure, that the boot sector will be put onto the NVMe SSD, which you want to use as the future system drive.

I forgot to ask. And maybe this was answered but here goes:

1. Should I reinable any setting in my Bios now that I have a successful install and boot?
2. Is it safe to leave Secure Boot off?

Hi i am new here

I have a z820 with latest motherboard revision and latest bios : CPUs Dual E5-2690 v2 .
I am wondering if a working bios mod is available for me to enable full NvME support for a 960 pro on my system.
I also use a 9361-8i with dual port SAS hdds which i thought i would mention incase for compatibility and i am wondering if someone can provide a link to the correct bios mod so i can spend a couple of weeks looking into the procedure properly.

Thanks

@taccess :
I am sorry, but we do not offer modded BIOSes upon request. So you have to modify the related BIOS yourself. For users like you I have written the related guide (= start post of this thread).
If you are unsure, whether you have inserted the NVMe EFI module correctly, you can upload your self-modded BIOS and I will do a look into it.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)