[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I’ve got my P9X79 Pro booting with the 750 for a while now. I used the 4701 BIOS, injected the X99 NVMe modules into it according to this manual. You really need to flash it with USB BIOS Flashback on the back of the board (renaming it to P9X79PRO.CAP in the process) . Otherwise you’d end up with security errors if you use the BIOS’s flash tool.

I’ve never tried a stock BIOS, so I don’t know if they support X79 booting the 750 out of the box. Some say it works.

I have the rampage iv formula (x79), bios version 5001, intel 750 pcie card and no modding required
Running windows 8.1 atm

My X79A-GD65 can boot from Intel NVMe SSD, too. I just have to activate "Windows 8 Configuration", whatever that is. But this also has some downsides.

It seems like:
x79 boards can work with Intel 750 and Intel P3600 with UEFI updates from manufacturers.
But afaik they can NOT boot from SM951 because SM951 and all other current Samsung M.2 NVMe SSDs have no boot ROM (or "bootloader" as Intel calls it)

Z77 boards can boot from both, Intel and Samsung by just adding Z97 NVMe UEFI modules.
Adding NVMe UEFI modules to X79 UEFI does nothing in terms of NVMe support.

So my guess is that boot capabiltity does not come from the NVMe modules but from another part of the UEFI.
It seems like Z77 has some sort of PCIe boot capabiltity that is missing on X79.

hy everybody. i’ll bring my experience, on my asus b85-mg, nevertheless chipset is not intel 9xx series and not officially supported, installed samsung 950 pro m.2 with adapter on pci x16x, enable boot from pci device into uefi/bios, and everything goes smooth. No bios mod/module integration done.
windows 10 installed and can boot.

@ frusullone:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report. It is fine, that you succeeded this easy way.

Enjoy booting off your Samsung 950 Pro with your Intel 8-Series Chipset system!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi I’m new to the forum and after countless searches Google brought me here. Your help is much appreciated please.

My system: Clevo P750ZM, running latest Prema’s modded BIOS on Z97 chipset, which is claimed to be NVMe compatible.
Drive: Samsung 950 Pro

The system does not have any other drive installed, so as soon as I got my 950 Pro I plugged it straight into the PCIe x4 slot, planning to install Windows 8.1 fresh (I have a legit key, and may claim free upgrade to 10 later). Went into BIOS (AMI I believe and the only place I could find NVMe even remotely mentioned was Intel RapidStart Technology settings. Enabled anything that has NVMe. Still, the 950 Pro is not recognised at all. All ports are reported blank. Windows installation (UEFI USB) just BSODed on me.

Please help. I dare not fiddle with anything in BIOS unless I’m 100% certain it will not brick anything. Thanks a lot.

Hi!

I found your post at Premas forum.

1) The Samsung 950 Pro will not show as SATA device because it uses PCIe.
2) The drive will not show in BIOS/UEFI, because it has no integrated firmware.
3) Make sure you plugged it in the right slot.
4) Try the NVMe driver from here.
Either install the driver on another system or extract the setup, copy the files to a thumb driver and load them during setup.

Best Regards,
Mr nUUb

Awesome. Many thanks.

Hi Fernando,

I have an Intel 750 SSD and an Asrock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ AMD motherboard without any NVMe support. I was wondering if I could just replicate the steps you did to enable NVMe support on older Intel boards by extracting the NVMe module from the Asrock 990FX Fatality AMD motherboard (which has an M.2 slot) and insterting it onto the CSMCORE module of the latest Extreme3 BIOS.

Before I try flashing it, I’d like to inform myself a bit with more experienced BIOS modders. Will this method offer NVMe support from UEFI and what are the risks of flashing this modded image? If the added module doesnt work, does that mean my entire motherboard is bricked or does the InstantFlash option remain available so I can revert?

Thanks,
T

Finally talked myself back into getting one and installed it this morning. I couldn’t get the data migration tool to work (access violation) so it will have to wait until I have time for a full rebuild :frowning:

I ended up with the 256GB one to tide me over until 3d xpoint comes out. Results 2.3GB/s read, 920MB/s write, 265k iops read :slight_smile:

@ tiburcillo:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You can take the NVMe modules from the ASRock 990FX Fatality, but you should not try to insert them into the CSMCORE module of your mainboard BIOS.
Reason: Within the CSMCORE module are the Option ROM (= LEGACY mode) modules, but the NVMe modules are EFI modules.
So this is what I recommend to do:
1. Extract the NVMe modules from the source BIOS in uncompressed form and store them as "*.ffs" files.
2. Insert the previously extracted *.ffs files in compressed form into the latest BIOS for your mainboard by using the same Volume Index number as the CSMCORE module.

Only by booting in UEFI mode you will get full NVMe support.

Since you just add originally not present modules, the risk of a bricked mainboard is minimal. Much more risky is to modify/change an originally present and absolutely needed BIOS module.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

^^ I had to find things to remove to make space so it was definitely more a risk for me and it ended up working :smiley: But I was completely prepared to have to get a Z97 board if necessary.

Hey guys, short update:

Sucessfully build Asus X79-Deluxe Bios Ver. 0902 with NVME drivers shows it up under BIOS as N1 - (Device Name) Windows Setup and Uefi Boot without problems so that i can say with the Steps from first post it´s fully compatible now with NVME.

As of this morning 100% tested to work on my ASRock Extreme6 z87 board :slight_smile: I was able to install and boot windows 10 with all SATA devices physically disconnected from the system (7 drives :D).

Hi, all,

I have read through some guides in this forum and going to patch the bios (Asus Maximus VI extreme Z87 1603) by extracting 3 NVMe files from Asus Z97 board to get NVMe boot support. However, after inserted the M.2 to PCIe adapter with Samsung 950 pro PCIe NVMe, when I look into the bios, it could recognize the drive correctly (with CSM enabled). And the most interesting part is I could install a bootable Windows 10 into it using MBR instead of UEFI. (I thought to get NVMe boot, it must use UEFI…)

@ Lionhartz:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

This is really interesting, because the NVMe BIOS modules are EFI ones.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

And I used the MMTools to take a look on official bios 1603 from Asus website, actually there is no NVMe modules found…Really don’t why it could be recognized and boot.
Really need to use for a while to see any side effect for this…

Bios.JPG

Hello, Can you be more clear about the BOOTING usage of an NVME SSD under PCI-e 3.0 in that motherboard?

I have an Asus Sabertooth X79, with an Intel Core i7 3930K, my BIOS is updated to the latest version available at Asus Support Web page V.4801 (BETA), are you totally sure it can Boot an Intel SSD 750 series, PCI-e 3.0 x4? or an SAMSUNG 950 SERIES, with a proper M.2 to PCI-e 3.0 x4 adapter card? Because as far as it is concerned, GPU’s like the Geforce 600’s, 700’s and 900’s SERIES wont work as PCI-e 3.0 x16 devices unless, people use the patch, from Nvidia to force the PCI-e 3.0 lanes… I know you can say, ‘well that’s an Nvidia decision to deactivate, PCI-e 3.0 Lanes on X79 motherboards by default’, but actually, Intel says on the Core i7 3820K, 3930K and 3960X, whitepaper, that ‘although it supports, 5 GT/s Lane bandwidth, complying with the PCI-e 3.0 specification, Intel only tested it to ensure PCI-e 2.0 support…’. Actually these motherboards (Asus Sabertooth X79) do have 3 expansion slots, under PCI-e 3.0 specification (2 x PCI-e 3.0 x16 + 1 x PCI-e 3.0 x8), while Asus says ‘it will support and operate under PCI-e 3.0 speeds, whenever, compatible PCI-e 3.0, hardware is used’, no mention on NVME SSD support though… If it is possible to take advantage of BOOTING up from an PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVME SSD, it will give some good use to that x8 PCI-e 3.0 slot, which in my motherboard is sitting to dust.

Thank you for your help and regards.

According to Intel, the Core i7-3930k (and compatible) CPU only supports PCIe 2.0 (source).
The Intel Core i7-4930k does support PCIe 3.0 (source).

My workstation is an Intel Core i7-4930k with 2 Geforce GTX 670 in SLI mode.
I enabled PCIe 3.0 support in BIOS and the cards refused to work in PCIe 3.0 mode.
Then I tried the force enable patch, but after the requiered reboot I only got a black screen.
So my guess is that the PCIe controller on X79 systems (Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E) is somewhat f*cked up (or maybe the nVidia drivers are, who knows).
At least my Intel SSD 750 worked in PCIe 3.0 mode in conjunction with my i7-4930k (but I sold the SSD).

EDIT: Now I think it’s nVidias fault. Some graphics cards work, some don’t - official statement.

Hi guys,
I have just joined this great community, I would like to thank you all as I am taking the opportunity to describe my experience of getting my Intel 750 400GB PCIe SSD to boot in my Maximus VI Gene (Z87) system, hoping that it would help others.
After spending countless hours of tryouts and errors, following several posts I was able to finally do it and I can confirm that NVMe support can be added to Z87 chipset.

After following the steps from Fernando, I expected that using MMTool 5.0 to be able to extract the 3 NVMe modules from what seemed the best choice for my motherboard: Maximus VI Gene => Maximus VII Gene (Z97 with NVMe native support).
That was totally unsuccessful as I wasn’t able to flash the modded BIOS using USB Flashback method. Afterwards I tried the NVMe modules posted in this forum (I expected to be the same with those that I have extracted from VII Gene but they weren’t). I was doomed to fail again.

It turns out that the wining combination was the MMTool 4.5 with the ASUS Z97 NVMe modules which enabled me to successfully flash the BIOS.

Afterwards I have also found the right way to configure the BIOS as shown:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut0jmzka60m1sr…creens.jpg?dl=0

Now, because my computer was set to multi-boot (MBR) on a multi raid system (RAID 0 and RAID 10 and RAID 5) I was unsuccessful trying to clone my disk to the Intel 750 (because of the UEFI it required GPT) and neither Acronis True Image 2016 nor Macrium Reflect were able to do it, so I had to re-install the system.

Having said that I wish again to thank this community, especially Fernando for gathering all the details.
Conclusion, Maximus VI Gene Z87 boots Intel 750 NVMe PCIe !!