[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Yours. No 1 and 2

My questions within >this< post were addressed to the Forum member weewee23 and not to you.

Sorry, should have read better

Hy,
I lost myself in a glass of waterā€¦
but now I have another question, probably off topic, in windows 7 I can not see the nvme disk and I could not find the drivers. Can something be done?

Thank you so much for writing this guide Fernando, when I asked Asus for help they just said that the nvme support started from x97 and that I had to buy a new MB. THANK YOU

Windows 7 natively doesnā€™t have any in-box NVMe driver. You have to integrate the related MS NVMe Hotfix for Win7. You can get it >here<.

The 990fx extreme drives me nuts!
1. Tried the 4 NVMe modules: no joy
2. Tired the NvmExpressDxe_4 as suggested by Fernando: no joy
3. Tried all together: still no joy

Strange thing: With my option 1, those from the fatality board, the fatality board sees the NVMe, even without NVMExpressDxe_4. At least I couldnā€™t find it in BIOS.
Boots from NVME even though CSM is on and the graphics card doesnā€™t support GOP.

With the same grapics card and the drivers as described, the NVME is not visible on extreme3.
Only I get an option of PATA boot even though no PATA device is connected.
I dindā€™t try to install on PATA as I donā€™t want to overwrite my existing windoof.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

The listed Disk Drive named ā€œPATAā€ is your NVMe SSD, but you cannot boot off it, because the Windows Bootloader has not yet been installed onto it by the Win10 Setup.
The presence of the ā€œPATAā€ disk drive verifies, that you have done the BIOS modding correctly.
So you only have to boot in UEFI mode off the USB flash drive, which contains the desired Win10 Image and to install the OS onto your NVMe SSD.
Good luck!

Great, thanks

Okay, I know how really dense this is going to sound, but Iā€™m just confused from reading sooo many pagesā€¦

I have the P9X79-LE motherboard. It has the 2011 i7-3820 CPU. A friend upgraded and sold this to me as my gear is (even more) ancient. Itā€™s been a while since I dabbled in modding anything, so Iā€™m rusty AND a bit terrified of bricking it by doing this wrong.
Right now, the BIOS for this motherboard on the Asus site is 4801ā€“> and thatā€™s what it currently is. I have the SM951/256GB NVMe drive sitting inside of this adapter:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112963953370ā€¦ME:L:OU:US:3160
Itā€™s recognized as a storage drive by Linux Mint live as well as a Windows 10 installer.

Iā€™m confused mainly in that there are so many NVMe drives being talked about as well as different boards. Can I actually get this drive, in this board, in this adapter recognized as a boot device?
If yes, what is the exact way to go about it? I know thereā€™s a ā€œhow-toā€ at the start of these hundreds of pages, but is there a different version which applies to my scenario or no? Am I right to think I am supposed to be modding the 4801 BIOS from Asus?
Thanks for reading and for any help/reassurances you might have,

~G

I am using a similar adapter on my board which i plugged into the 4-lane slot. No difference of how to proceed in Terms of modding/installing.

Are you using the #2 16X slot, when you say ā€œ4-laneā€?

Iā€™m only just laying eyes on this board and am excited to enable NVMe, not so much hosing the thing before I can use it. Is there a configuration which allows full-speed (16X) to both the #1 & #2 slots or does something take a hit when using the NVMe in one of the slots?

Thank you!

I owe a different board so the designations may differ, but basically: Yes.
This may reduce the performance of the Graphics Card, but that doesnt matter to me

@Geekomatic :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Although I have no experience with your specific M.2>PCIe adapter, I am pretty sure, that it will work.
By the way: The insertion of a natively not existing BIOS module is not as risky as you may think. I havenā€™t yet seen any user report about a bricked mainboard after the insertion of the NvmExpressDxe module.

Just follow my guide (= start post of this thread).

The NVMe modules, which are offered within the start post, will work with all AMI UEFI mainboards and all currently available NVMe SSDs.

Yes!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando first thx for your good work & helping hands

got somes problems when trying to install
i have a Asus Maximus Formula VI
i mod the bios 1603 and inject NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs
into the bios and flashback now i can see PATA in bios
and under window 10 install i can see the M.2 SDD Unallocated Space
but when im trying to install windows on i got this Windows cannot be installed on drive 0

i did diskpart and clean the drive 0 still the same
i also migrate my previous OS to the m.2 but no luck no booting

BIOS Settings:
Secure Boot "DISABLED"
Fast Boot "DISABLED"
CSM (Compatibility Support Module" "Disabled"

m.2 Specs
Brand Western Digital
Series Black NVMe
Model WDS100T2X0C
Device Type Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Form Factor M.2 2280
Capacity 1TB
Memory Components 3D NAND
Interface PCI-Express 3.0 x4

PCI-E Specs
QNINE M.2 to PCIe Adapter, NVME SSD to PCI-e 3.0 x 4 Host Controller Expansion Card

anything im missing ? thx for your help Fernando

@ProStock :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If you are going to install Win10 onto a brandnew (unformatted) NVMe SSD and you come to the point, where you have to decide where the OS shall be installed, the first step is the creation of the target partition (after clicking onto ā€œNewā€).
The other (usually hidden) EFI and Recover partitions will be created by the OS Setup automaticly. Then you will be able to get the OS installed onto the biggest sized just created partition of the NVMe SSD.
You cannot install the ca. 10 GB sized OS onto any of the just mentioned additionally created small sized partitions.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I did click NEW and leave the partition size intact & also try change the size of the partiton once i click next i got Windows cannot be installed on drive 0
and here log in error log

Win cannot be installed to this disk. this computerā€™s hardware may not support booting to this disk
Ensure that diskā€™s controller is enable in the computer bios menu

@ProStock :
Have you checked, what ā€œdrive0ā€ is and which size it has? Are you sure, that it belongs to the NVMe SSD?
Did you boot off the USB Flash Drive containing the desired Win10 Image in UEFI mode?
By the way: I cannot see your linked picture.

the Drive 0 is a 1 TB Series Black NVMe from western digital and the only thing i didnā€™t do was booting from usb win10 install for UEFI mode
instead i use the DVD of win 10 does the dvd give you UEFi capability ?

nevermind about the pic im sorry
i type the error on previous post
Win cannot be installed to this disk. this computerā€™s hardware may not support booting to this disk
Ensure that diskā€™s controller is enable in the computer bios menu

@ProStock :
I always recommend to create a bootable Win10 USB Flash Drive by using the tool Rufus (choosing the required UEFI and GPT settings) and boot off it in UEFI mode.
Before you start with the OS installation you have to make sure, that the option ā€œSecure Bootā€ has been disabled within the BIOS. Within the BIOS of some mainboards this option is not easy to find.

you are right disable secure boot is not easy to find on a MAXIMUS VI
i think for my case i need to review that setting
Rog forum says ā€¦
IIf you have CSM disabled and are booting to Windows, you can disable secure boot by selecting "Other OS" in the secure boot menu.

will give it a try when im back home stay tuned

Again hey thx a bunch Fernando