[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@notachancegp :
Your attached BIOS file has been perfectly modified.
So you should be able to get full NVMe support.

Heh, not work for me. When I put the latest BIOS file GA0066.BIO from intel site, in UEFI tool I can’t find BIOS REGION, I don’t know, where can find DXE, in search menu this combination not find anything. And thats all. Stop machine.

MOBO: INTEL DZ77GA-70K
PROC: INTEL i3770K
RAM: 16 GB
SSD M2 SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1GB

@medwyn :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Since Intel’s mainboard BIOSes are no common AMI UEFI ones, you will neither be able to modify the BIOS by using the UEFITool nor to flash any modded Intel BIOS with the extension *.BIO.
My suggestion: Ask the Intel Support for an updated BIOS with NVMe support.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I didn’t state what I meant correctly. What I meant is when I searched the Asrock BIOS for the Asrock Z170(with NVMe support) and ASrock z77 extreme 4(recently added NVMe support), I couldn’t find the needed files. I used their BIOS updates in the ASRock web site. Also , I used the Asrock Z77 Pro 4 ( my current MB) with ADDED NVMe support. I requested NVMe support be added when I seen other messages saying the ASRock Z77 extreme 4 motherboard had added NVMe support to it. And they DID add it for me but it didn’t appear to work. They said it was tested for the Samsung 950 PRO, PCIe drive but not the 960 EVO. Not sure if the Samsung 950 Pro was AHCI or NVMe.

I am attaching the updated ASRock BIOS updates. Maybe it will work for other people with a 950 PRO or other PCIe drives (with a M.2 card in the PCIe slot).
I guess people just can’t read minds ! Yet…
I can’t find the email that ASRock sent me but they did say to use F11 to start the Boot menu and select the NVMe drive. I will add if if and when I find it.
And whenever I turned ON the CSM, all hard drives disapeared from BIOS !
But the Clover method worked great !
Sorry about poor writing. And English is my first language too !
Maybe the BIOS with NVMe added will help other people. I was completely lost when trying to mod the BIOS.

I attached the emails I could find with my name and email removed in BIOS 1 - 3.

NVMe BIOS Z77 Pro 4 Motherboard Z77PRO4(P1.80F)ROM.zip (4.2 MB)

BIOS for ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 add NVME Z77EXT3 1.50D.zip (4.62 MB)

BIOS 1.png

BIOS 2.png

BIOS 3.png

Thanks ! At least now I know why ! Can the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD firmware be updated to include the 950 Pro legacy drivers to boot to a point that it can load the NVMe needed drivers ? That seems easier than modding the BIOS if it works with all the legacy systems. Is there a good reason for removing the support for legacy systems ? And if Clover can add all the files in barely 14MB that it could be easily added to both the SSD firmware and BIOS.
Do you mean a Samsung NVMe SSD or the AHCI versions. Since I know the AHCI version would work.
Samsung should just add the NVMe driver !

@Tony54 :
Please stay on-topic!
Since you obviously are not satisfied to boot permanently off a separate USB Flash Drive using the Clover-Method, I have moved your recent discussion into this thread.
Why don’t you just follow the guide within the start post of this thread? It is very simple and not risky at all, if you follow my advices.
There is no other way, if you want to boot off your Samsung 960 EVO and use it as system drive. Neither Samsung nor anyone else will make your NVMe SSD bootable with your Intel 7-Series chipset system. You can and have to do it yourself!

Just subscribed to say thanks. My system just died and I used an old Tyan S5510 mb while I get new parts. Took the risk to add nvme and it is working flawlessly.

950 PRO / PCIe2@4x
Sequential (MB/s)
Read: 1,458
Write: 966

Random (IOPS)
Read: 239,746
Write: 80,566

@Fernando
Thanks for your help. However, I have some trouble to replace the PE32 body of the DXE module named ‘nvme’ because this BIOS does offer several ‘nvme’ related modules.
I have tried to mod the two ‘nvme’ occurences and did not succeed. Moreover I get a final error pop up:

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

I have tried to use carefully the Start post Guide Line, but the first thing i do observe is there is no “Compressed Section” of the “DXE driver” (which one doesn’t matter)" as described in the Guide Line. Strange ?

So, I have attached a .ZIP file of the BIOS to be modded.
Moreover, i don’t understand what is the .10C extension, and trying to flash the original BIOS slightly modded by UBU tool is not accepted by the MSI flash procedure under the BIOS menu interface (checksum error).

So, lot of difficulties to mod and flash a MSI BIOS compared to a ASUS BIOS using the very easy Flash Back button (not offered on a MSI machine).
Thanks in advance for your help.

E16K5IMS.zip (5.08 MB)

No, there is just one DXE Driver named “Nvme” within the BIOS. You should not modify the SMM module named “NvmeSmm”.
Only the DXE Driver module named “Nvme”, which has similar functions as the NvmExpressDxe_4 module, should be modified (right-click onto the “PE32 image section” line and choose the option “Replace body”).
Another option, which may be less risky, is to remove the DXE Driver module named “Nvme” and to insert the complete DXE Driver file "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs according to my guide instead.
Keep in mind, that the PC may not be bootable anymore thereafter (whichever option you may choose), but a reflash of the previously used BIOS should solve this issue.

@fernando,
Thanks for your help.
However, I tried the less risky option, remove the DXE driver named "Nvme" and to insert the complete DXE Driver file "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs" according the Guide , but I get the "Invalid Flash Descriptor" Error message.
So, I did not succeed modding the Nvme module. Do you see why ?

Capture10.PNG

Capture11.PNG

@100PIER :
You got the error message, because you tried to simply replace the “Nvme” module by the “NvmExpressDxe_4” one. That doesn’t work.
After having removed the Nvme module you should store the modded BIOS and then insert the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file behind the undermost listed DXE Driver (as written within my guide).

@Fernando
After the remove operation I tried also the "store" operation you do recommend (as I do not see "store" I assume you speak about a "save image file.." operation, is it correct ?).
The "save image file…" operation does produce the stucky error message "Image Reconfiguration failure, …"
So, I do not progressed. Any idea ?
If you have some time to try a test with the BIOS file I had attached previously and have a look if this BIOS is really moddable or not (for some unknown reasons) ?

I will do that as soon as I have the required time.

@Fernando
Heee, your startup GuideLine does offer a obsolete UEFITool version that does not work with MSI BIOS file !!
When using UEFITool v0.25.1 I no longer get the Image Record Failure !
I founded the proper UEFITool v0.25.1 into the last UBU Tool Dev_19 folder.
I am surprise why you refer to UEFITool file which is half size of the best current v0.25.1…
You should fix the proper link into the Guide Line at the start up post.

Done!
I have started so many threads and nearly all of them have to be updated frequently - I cannot avoid mistakes like this one…

@bskchaos :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@100PIER

What version of Uefitool were you using?

@davidm71
I used a obsolete UEFItool version not working with MSI BIOS. I reported the problem to Fernando, and he has now fixed with the proper link into the start up post Guide LIne to offer now UEFItool v0.25.1.
v0.25.1 does fix the MSI BIOS compatibility problem when usin v0.22.4.

Good to know. Going to replace every version I have to 0.25.1. Thanks.

I doesnt really know what settings I have to change in the BIOS, after flashing the mobo with the modded BIOS.
( P8Z77-V Pro/thunderbolt)ä I have set everything as before, but I guess I need to di some boot settings for pcie or uefi ?