[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

You can try to change all these settings, because it is no problem to reverse them (if it doesn’t work as it should).

It does work with the normal settings

In the meantime:

So far so good
Fernando, sorry for not inserting the pic as it should be, still figuring out how I can do it ))

Look >here<.

Hello, I’m back with updates…

I have been using the NvmExpressDXE_2 module since March 2017: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (113)
But after releasing the NVmeExpressDXE_4 module I was not able to update the BIOS with USB FlashBack button anymore.
Today, I used my CH341A USB EEPROM programmer and now my ASUS P9X79 PRO has a new BIOS with the latest NvmExpressDxE_4 module.

I done some tutorial how to unbrick MeeGoPad T07 ComputeStick here: http://forum.x86pad.com/t/guide-how-to-u…b-and-other/926
Flashing BIOS on ASUS motherboards is even simpler, all you need is:

1. CH341A USB Flash programmer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262731801596 (£4.23)
2. CH341A Programmer Software v1.29: use Google!
3. CH341A Driver v2.2.2009.6: http://deviceinbox.com/drivers/845-usb-epp-i2c-ch341a.html
4. PLCC IC Extractor Tool: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273066030226 (£0.99)
5. UEFITool v0.25.1: https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases
6. (Optional) For beginers, I suggest you buy a clean EEPROM chip: W25Q128FVIQ (approx. £5.00)

0. Go to your ASUS UEFI and save all OC profiles on USB stick!!!
1. Prepare a modified BIOS for your motherboard - [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS
2. Convert it from .CAP to .ROM/.BIN by opening in UEFITool, then right-click on “AMI Aptio capsule” and select “Extract body”, then save it as .ROM or .BIN file.
3. Use CH341A Programmer Software to flash your BIOS.
4. Replace the original BIOS from the motherboard with a modified one using PLCC IC Extractor Tool.
5. Run your computer and restore your OC profiles from USB stick*

* You can restore OC profiles only within the same version of BIOS - for example OC profilles from Official BIOS 4801 will work on a Modded BIOS 4801.

After updating the NvmExpressDxE_2 module to NvmExpressDxE_4, I noticed the correct display of the M.2 drive name in UEFI.
Are there any other differences?

NvmExpressDxE_2 (left picture) and NvmExpressDxE_4 (right picture):

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

I’ve tried both the NVMexpress4 full and small and I’m not able to get the server to boot after flashing the modded BIOS on my X9DRi-LN4F Supermicro. I’m flashing via IPMI and it seems to complete ok, but then doesn’t reboot. I’m able to then flash back to the original BIOS and the server boots ok. I saw on here others had luck with this same motherboard. Do you have any advice on what I could be doing wrong and if flashing via iPMI is perhaps the issue? Does anyone have a BIOS they modded successfully for this motherboard they would be willing to share ( I’ll pay for it if necessary) ? I’ve attached my modded BIOS in hopes of you checking to see if I did this right. Thanks!

Also, THANK YOU Fernando for taking your time out and for YEARS now updating this thread to help people!

X9DR3P5MODNVM4.304.rar (3.11 MB)

Hello. Sorry if I did not give you feedback, I was busy.
Unfortunately I have not flashed the Bios yet …I checked my ME version and is 9.0 xxxxxx so I downloaded the Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r5 -which come with ME v9.0 - v9.1. and AFU for Aptio4

I tried to run AFU64 from windows - PC immediatly freezes
" " FPT from Windows - dosn’t start
" " both from dos - dosn’t work. Pendrive maked with Rufus (and for scruples I read more than one guide). Bios recognizes it but if I try to launch the Boot manager nothing happens. I’m thinking of using a windows xp cd and using that DOS…
" " FPT from Windows but through DOS prompt (cmd) - I tried to make the backup but it says " Error 26: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region. "
I tied to look on internet for solve Error 26 problem…I have not been able to read a lot abut…someone say I have Intel ME corrupted and suggst to reflash original bios (or a previous version).

I no longer know what to do, every step taken to overcome an obstacle leads to another obstacle :slight_smile:

Someone know something about Error 26??

Thanks

@raven1234 :
Your report has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
If you have a problem with the Intel Management Engine, please post it into the related Sub-Forum.

Google knows it.

If you want an exact answer, you should ask Ethaniel, who has compiled the NvmExpressDxe_4 module.

@BobsHW19 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

I have checked your modded BIOS and probably found the reason for your problem: The NvmExpressDxe_4 module has to be inserted behind/below the latest listed module of the DXE Volume, which has a GUID. In the case of your BIOS there are 2 “Raw” DXE drivers with GUIDs behind/below the inserted NVMe module. This is very strange, but obviously not impossible.
So I recommend to repeat the insertion, but this time below the last listed “Raw” module, which belongs to the same DXE Driver Volume.
It should look like this picture:

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you Fernando for the warm welcome, glad to be here.

I see what you mean now about the 2 raw DXE drives. I’m going to give this a try now and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Yes. To make it clear, I have attached the related picture to my last post.

Hi Fernando I tried that and it did the same thing unfortunately. I tried a few different places as well just in case but the server wouldn’t boot afterwards so I had to flash it back.

Would you be willing to try modding the BIOS and attaching it so I could give it a try? I would be more than happy to pay you for this and even give IPMI access if necessary. I’ve tried everything I know of and feel defeated. Thanks

@BobsHW19 :
Are you sure, that you restored your previously used BIOS settings after having flashed the modded BIOS?
As long as your system drive is outside the NVMe SSD, you should be able to boot into your OS no matter whether the NVMe module has been inserted into the correct position.
Please attach the recently modded and the original BIOS.

@raven1234 - FPT from windows starts, you must run it from the command line as you mentioned on the third line of your report

The error with FPT and making backup is due to some of your BIOS regions being locked (FD or ME or both). All explained here - [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing
FPT from DOS not working for you may be due to your DOS setup, I’ve seen rufus mentioned a few times with issues so it may not be best method. I suggest using this method - <Request> Flagship X470 Gaming 7 Wifi Motherboard BIOS Fix

Please post an image of meinfowin from command line. You may need to either purchase a CH341A flash programmer and jumper cable, or program the “BIOS Region” only if you are locked out of the rest.
You will need the tools mentioned there if you wanted to update the ME region any time in the future, this does not apply to your NVME mod as that’s in the “BIOS Region” only. I can give better answer once you show meinfowin report

To flash the “BIOS Region only”, which you shouldn’t be locked out of doing, use the following command from command prompt with FPTw (not x64 version, same applies with AFU don’t use x64, just the windows version)

1. First backup “BIOS Region” >> fptw -bios -d biosregion.bin
2. Then flash the “BIOS Region” only >> fptw -rewrite -bios -savemac -f N751JKAS.205.M1

If you get argument error with the above, remove -savemac switch, we can fix later from your backup.

So, these methods in Asus section did not work for you, mainly AISuite or Asus Live Update (Win8 section of downloads for your system), when switching out files, change file name to match w/ one you switch out. Or USB Flashback method, rename BIOS to N751JK.205 or N751JK.rom?
[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Thanks a lot Lost_N_BIOS!!
This week end I will read all the guide you talk about and try to understand and solve.
I will post the report of Management Engine Verification Utility.

Thank you very much!

Hi Fernando,

Thanks again truly for your attention and help on this. After I flash the BIOS, and reboot the server, it doesn’t boot back up so I’m not able to get into the BIOS settings afterwards. These are the exact steps I’m taking:

1) Logging into IPMI via web based IP for Supermicro
2) I go to Maintenance - Bios update and upload the modded BIOS
3) This is a screenshot of the BIOS update before I click on Start Upgrade. I leave “Preserve SMBIOS” checked because of what I’ve read on keeping it. https://imgur.com/a/wyBN2Zh
4) After the flash, it ask if I want to reset the machine and I select yes. The machine gets rebooted and that’s where the KVM console then shows a black screen and machine doesn’t boot up.
When it fails, I then go back into IPMI and flash the old BIOS and reboot the machine. The KVM console then shows the server as booting up correctly with the original BIOS.

I’ve attached both the original and the modded BIOS here. Thanks again

X9DR3P5.304.rar (3.11 MB)

X9DR3P5304.rar (3.11 MB)

@BobsHW19 :
Your modded BIOS is ok.
The problem seems to be the flashing preparation and the flashing procedure itself. Since I have no own experience with any Supermicro mainboard, I cannot help you regarding this point.
This is what you have to find out:
1. Which is the best naming of the modded BIOS?
2. How to flash it to get the modded BIOS properly working afterwards?
Please have a look into >this< guide written by our BIOS Guru CodeRush.
Maybe >this< contribution will help you as well.

Hi Fernando,

Thanks allot for the contribution links, I tried those this morning with some help and could not get it to work either. I did notice after flashing using the guide above instead of via the IPMI flash, that when it completed there was an error on the bottom of the screen https://imgur.com/a/7HJJIKG My guess is that this just doesn’t work for my mother board.

Thanks again for all of your help on this

To you or anyone who’s able to contribute a successful modded BIOS for the X9DRi-LN4F+ (It uses the X9DR3P5 BIOS ) https://www.supermicro.com/products/moth…X9DRi-LN4F_.cfm I would be more than thankful and happy to send a $500 donation to. If IPMI access is needed, I can provide it.

Unfortunately the error message is so tiny, that I cannot read it.
Can you post the related message?
Another tip: Try to find other users of a Supermicro mainboard by entering the key word “Supermicro” into the Forum “Search…” box and ask them, how they prepared and flashed the modded BIOS.

Sorry about that, the error code looks easier to read here https://imgur.com/a/XgBYQcw

It says “Invalid OPCODE at” and then names an address. I was able to blow the image up a bit on this screenshot

That is an interesting error message, but we need a BIOS Guru like @CodeRush to find out, what it means and where to search for the “invalid Opcode”.
By the way: According to the report everything else has been successfully flashed resp. updated.

I have a feeling that opcode error has to do with the media I used to boot into Freedos with and not related to the actual BIOS update itself. Although it shows as successful, it unfortunately still doesn’t boot back up after the modded BIOS has been flashed.