[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

any H170 Board should have NVMe support.
If you have any problems with it, it is most likely because of PCIe lane splitting and not because of NVMe support.

N1 is indicating you are running 950 Pro.
950 Pro brings it’s own OptionROM / Bootloader or whatever you want to call it. Due to this, 950 Pro runs even on 10 year old G41 mainboards. I tested this to confirm if there is an optionROM or not and it worked fine.

Hi all,

A short update on my AMD NVMe endeavors. I risked flashing the modified file on my 990FX Extreme3 Mainbord, but unfortunately I can’t set the 750 as device to install the bootloader on. Still have to work with a second SSD to make a bootable system. What did work was changing the boot logo using the AMI logo changer tool.

The board is luckily working fine as before though.

Regards,
T

Here’s my update on the installation of the Samsung 950 Pro SSD M.2 NVM Express 512 GB

I ordered an add in adapter card last week from Addonics the M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter X110 part number AD2M2X-PX4
which fits the PCIe 4 Lane slot; as the ASUS Z87-Deluxe has no M.2 slot, PCIe or SATA3 capable.

The above adapter card allows one PCIe SSD and two SATA based SSDs in M.2 format. and supports the 110mm expansion
for larger 1-2GB PCIe SSDs which will surface next year no doubt.

The box label clearly states : " M2 PCIe SSD can be the primary bootable device containing the OS and applications
(requires support in the system BIOS)"

My first order of business was to install the M.2 Samsung Pro 950 PCIe SSD onto the Adonnics X110 adapter card, which was fairly uneventful.
Next I installed into a suitable PCIe slot, in this case slot number PCIX16_2; as PCIX16_1 was occupied by the graphics card, and PCIX16_3 was
occupied by the Asus Thunderbolt2 adapter card.

I booted up straight away and the N1-Samsung appeared in the bios, I didn’t even bother disconnecting the other drives; knowing full well they were
running on the ROM rather than UEFI modules. I ran the Win10 Pro installation via the UEFI USB bios selector to the Samsung via a USB drive and
was able to install the OS onto the drive. I was able to load the updated Samsung PCIe SSD driver so I wasn’t relying on the Standard Windows NVMe driver
which comes with Win 10 Pro.

Reboot and no joy, it couldn’t find the OS to continue the installation.

Off to reread Fernando’s exploits, download AMI APTIO UEFI MMTool 4.50.0.23 and extracted the three NVMe modules from ASUS Z97 Deluxe bios 2702
I loaded up the Asus Z87-Deluxe 2103 bios and carefully scanned to see if there were any NVMe modules listed in bios; there were NONE.

I carefully noted where the NVMe modules were located in the Z97-Deluxe bios under the USBINT13 header.

I looked for the the same header in the Z87-Deluxe bios 2103 and successively inserted them after the USBINT13 header;
well about a dozen or so lines down.

1. Nvme.ffs (GUID starting with: 634E8DB5, size: 19 KB for Z97)
2. NvmeSmm.ffs (GUID starting with: E5E2C9D9, size: 12 KB for Z97)
3. NvmeInt13.ffs (missing within some BIOSes, GUID starting with: C9A6DE36, size: 5 KB for Z97)

Saved the new modded bios uneventfully as Z87D.CAP loaded on my FAT32 USB stick to do the "USB Flashback"
I powered down, flashed the BIOS, cleared the CMOS, switched off the power for about minute.
Unhooked all my SATA drives on the Intel RAID ROM 14.6.0.2285
Switched on the the surge protected power bar, switched the power on for the PSU, and hit the on button.

I hit del to enter the bios, go to advanced mode, boot tab and voila the N1-Samsung is a BOOT PRIORITY option.
Reconfigured a couple other boot settings as per Fernando original post, and proceeded to boot into the already
installed Win 10 Pro OS which picked up immediately and completed the install.

I am now posting from a successfully booting M.2 PCIe Samsung 950 Pro SSD 512 GB on the ASUS Z87-Deluxe modded 2103 bios

COST: Addonics M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter X110 part number AD2M2X-PX4 $38.55 USD
Samsung 950 Pro PCIe SSD 512GB $337.97 USD Total $376.52 USD

And while we are talking money about €30.00 should help Fernando and company defray some expenses to keep this site dedicated to
computer excellence afloat. Shameless promotion of www.win-raid.com and a “Frohe Weihnachten” from “Knecht Rupprecht”! It is my understanding Paypal delivers.

I rather suspect as word gets out the NVMe wave will take over as Samsung will likely be selling these like pancakes at a church breakfast.

Now to hook up my other drives and transfer some data…or maybe play a game…

Pics and drive stats below for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers

Hans

|addpics|1kh-8-e4e4.png,1kh-9-c6c3.png|/addpics|

Z87D.zip (5.28 MB)

Just want to say thanks for a great forum!!
After reading this thread I found that my basic model Asus P9X79 M/B (X79) loaded with the original Bios v4801 boots and loads Win10 with no issues on my new Intel 750 SSD….

@ Discoboy:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
Enjoy your Intel 750 NVMe SSD with your Intel X79 Chipset system!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just open the latest BIOS file of your specific mainboard with an appropriate tool like the AMI Aptio UEFI MMtool and look for the word "NVMe" within the listed module names.

Thats not true for all manufacturers. Supermicros Bios has no mention of NVMe, yet some boards support it. (See next post for details/help).

This is a cross post from Bios-mods… While this is AHCI PCIE SSD (Not SATA!!! hence why not in the AHCI thread), related, adding NVMe would be nice as well… Especially if they are connected to the same issue.

I haven’t seen much on this from my search here, the closest thread I could come to was this offsite.

While I don’t need NVMe at this time, I do need ACHI via PCI-E to boot an SSD.

I’m attempting this on a Supermico X9SCI-LN4F
Bios: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resour…le.aspx?ID=3127

Anyhow, I tried
x10DRWN
Bios http://www.supermicro.com/support/resour…le.aspx?ID=3410
X9DAi
Bios: http://www.supermicro.com/support/resour…le.aspx?ID=3325

Both according to documentation support at least NVMe. However, from my original link above, there is no Nvme, NvmeSmm, NvmeInt13 files in either. There are no differences in at least the names of the AHCI modules: AHCI & AHCISMM. Is there some list of what modules in the AMI bios effect booting from PCI-E via AHCI? Would the NVMe module have that included?

The chipset on the board is the C204 PCH. I looked at Intels S1200btl Server Board firmware as they seemed to have the most updated Bios and I would assume support for NVMe. No mention of NVMe in the cap files.

Is this a straightforward mod, or is it going to require hex editors? Last time I tried hexing, I ended up making two bios roms unbootable until reflashed.

@ oXYnary:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since you obviously have an AHCI supporting SSD (and no NVMe supporting one), you will probably not succeed by inserting any NVMe BIOS module.
Please give us some informations about the SSD model/manufacturer and the sort of its mainboard connection (M.2/PCIe).
If it should be the AHCI model of Samsung’s SM951 SSD, I recommend to insert the BIOS module named Samsung_M2_DXE.ffs, which I had attached to >this< post.
By the way: The modern Windows Operating Systems since Win8 have an in-box AHCI driver, which does support the PCIe/M.2 connected Samsung AHCI Controller.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,

After I wrote that, I did find this page. https://plone.lucidsolutions.co.nz/hardw…sung-xp941/view
Looks like someone linked to it in this forum before. Anyhow, I tried 3 different samsung_m2_dxes and reflashed. Bios still wouldn’t boot from drive. I don’t see the module on any other supermicros in general or Intel C204 chipset motherboards with this.

I think in my case I would need to modify or replace another module along with adding the samsung, but I’m not sure which.

(Its a Samsung 951 AHCI)

Its a server, so I’m using Debian. I can get it to boot, but I have to put the boot and grub on another drive and then link the rest of the OS to the Samsung.

Since I don’t have any experience with Supermicro mainboards like yours, I have no idea which BIOS module may be usable and where you can get it.

Hello Fernando, I have been reading, this Forum, trying to make sure, before buying, of the support of Intel 750 Series PCI-e SSD or Samsung 950 Series M.2 SSDs, on an ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard, with Intel Core i7 3930K, can you please disclose to me this question?

Is it supported with Official BIOS? (latest on ASUS Support Site)

Another thing probably you noted, Nvidia never got to release Official Driver Support for X79 PCIe 3.0, and because of that it is always needed to apply a patch to activate PCIe 3.0 usage on the graphics cards… do you think it will be running any of those SSDs on PCIe 2.0 bandwidth?

Thank You for your time

@Cláudio Alves:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I think, that you will get them both working with your X79 system, but I cannot give you any guarantee.

They probably will work, but I don’t know the bandwidth they may use.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,
hardware ASUS P8Z68-V with the latest BIOS 3603 Pro, Intel 750 PCIe SSD
I tried get thru your step by step instruction but I have show stoper - no idea how to move forwad and I’m just wondering how other had a success story.

Approach #1 - I modded the BIOS 3603 with your NVMe Modules extracted from ASUS Z97 DELUXE v2401 BIOS - show stopper I can’t accomplish :
Step 4: As next step I entered the BIOS and redid my previous settings.
These were the chosen settings within the
OK “Boot” section:◦"PCI ROM Priority": EFI Compatible
OK - ◦"Option ROM Messages": Keep Current
◦"Boot Option #1": Windows Boot Manager - I don’t have such option like “Windows Boot Manager” no idea why.
My Windows 7 installation after Intel SSd 750 driver upload find the disk but the instaation can’t move forward because the I get the message that windows 7 is not recognizing the disk as a bootable within BIOS.

I noticed a difference that you managed within your mod to insert NVMe modules somehowe in a specific insertion place - after the sata driver, my module upload is just after PCIE LANE DXE.
Is it required to upload a module with a sata drivers well?

Approach #2 I managed to extract from the latest Z97-DELUXE-ASUS-2702.CAP the three NVMe moduled and than insert them to my ASUS P8Z68-V the latest BIOS 3603 ROM file

Step 4: As next step I entered the BIOS and redid my previous settings.
These were the chosen settings within the
OK “Boot” section:◦"PCI ROM Priority": EFI Compatible
OK - ◦"Option ROM Messages": Keep Current
NOT OK “Boot Option #1”: Windows Boot Manager - I don’t have such option in my BIOS like “Windows Boot Manager” no idea why.
My Windows 7 installation after Intel SSd 750 driver upload find the disk but the installation can’t move forward because the I get the message that windows 7 is not recognizing the disk as a bootable within BIOS.

I have no idea what can I do to move forward - please advise.

@von_Lep :

Here is my comment:

1. One of the differences between our Z68 test systems is the OS. I did my tests with Win8.1, you are using Win7. Win7 natively doesn’t support NVMe (contrary to Win8/8.1).
  2. You will only see the “Windows Boot Manager” as “Boot Option”, if you have installed the OS in UEFI mode (using the GUID Partition Table).

@Fernando
@All
OK I moved to WIN 8.1
I switched Insel 750 ssd to GPT
Did you installed WIN 8.1 inUEFI mode PZ68-v pro Asus MB? if yes can you advise how you setup the BIOS to make working UEFI instalion ?

@Fernando
it seems that OS needs be installed on MB which is NVMe compliant and than installed on ASUS P8Z68-V modded MB otherwise it seems not possible to install Win 8.1 in the UEFI mode on the intel 750 SSD ASUS P8Z68-V modded MB basis.

Correct me if I’m wrong - to the workarround you second PC with NVMe compliance

Yes!

1. Let the tool Rufus create an UEFI mode bootable OS image by using an USB flash drive (has to be FAT formatted).
    2. After having set the "Optimized Default BIOS Settings" (via F5), there are probably no special BIOS settings required.
    As far as I remember I have just changed within the "BOOT" section the "Option ROM Messages" setting from "Force BIOS" to "Keep current" and the option "PCI ROM Priority" from "LEGACY ROM" to "EFI compatible" (or similar).
    3. Disconnect all storage drives from your computer except the Intel 750 NVMe SSD and the USB Flash drive, which contains the bootable OS media.
    4. Start the computer, hit the hotkey for the Boot Menu (usually F8) and choose the option "[UEFI]<Name of the USB Drive>".
    5. Cross your fingers and wait until you will see, whether the OS Setup detects your Intel 750 NVMe SSD or not.

Good luck!

I am not sure about that, but I think, that it will work as well, if you do a fresh OS install by using an ASUS Z68 mainboard.

@ von_Lep:

The chances are great, that you will be able to install Win8.1 onto the Intel 750 NVMe SSD from scratch.

I just have done another test with my ASUS P8Z68-V system.
This is what I did:
1. I flashed an original ASUS BIOS (that means without any inserted NVMe modules) and set the BIOS settings to “Optimized Defaults”…
2. Then I inserted the Intel 750 SSD and unplugged all other storage devices.
3. At least I inserted an USB flash drive, which contained a Win10 x64 Pro image v1511 delivered by Microsoft, which was prepared by the tool Rufus for an UEFI boot with a GUID Partition Table.
4. I started the computer and hit F8 to get the Boot Menu.
5. After having chosen the option “[UEFI:]Sandisk Extreme” the Win10 Setup began.
6. Then came the most interesting question: Will the OS Setup detect the Intel 750 SSD? Answer: Yes, it did and let me install the OS onto it.

That means, that users of an ASUS P8Z68-V are able to start the Win10 installation from scratch onto the Intel 750 SSD. A BIOS modification is not even required for this action.
The problems may begin during the first reboot, if you don’t have inserted the matching NVMe module(s).
During my just done test the reboot procedure failed, probably due to the missing NVMe module(s).

Hi,

I just ordered a 400gb Intel 750 PCI-E hard drive last night. When it comes in I’m going to attempt to mod the bios on my Gen 1 Asus P8Z68 Deluxe motherboard and install it in the last PCI-E X4 slot. I’ll report my results this weekend I get it. Personally thinking of going Z170 but want to try to get it to work for the challenge of it.

Thanks.

Today I have continued my last test (look >here<).
As I have written above, I was not able to reboot into the Intel 750 SSD after having successfully done the first (COPY) part of the OS installation.

This is what I did:

1. As first step I searched for the modded BIOS version 2603, where I had inserted the 3 NVMe modules some weeks ago (the procedure had been described within the start post of this thread) and flashed it into the BIOS chip of my ASUS P8Z68-V mainboard.
  2. After having redone the required BIOS settings (“Optimized Defaults” and “EFI Compatible” settings within the “BOOT” section) I rebooted, hit F8 (=Boot Menu), choosed the option “Windows Boot Manager (Intel 750)” and the system booted fine again into the Intel 750 NVMe SSD and continued the Win10 x64 installation.
  3. After several reboots (all initiated via F8) the Win10 x64 installation completed successfully.
    Note: For unknown reasons I was not able to enter the BIOS, when I rebooted. That is why I had to use the Boot Menu (F8).
  4. As last step I ran Anvil’s Storage Utilities and tested the performance of this Z68 system in combination with Intel’s 750 PCIe connected NVMe SSD.
    Here are the benchmark results (left pic: with MS Win10 in-box NMe driver, right pic: Intel NVMe driver v1.3.0.1007 WHQL):

Anvil-Z68_Intel-750_MS-NVMe.png

Anvil-Z68_Intel-750-v1.3.0.1007.png