[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Kvicala :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Why didn’t you follow my guide (=start post of this thread)?

Nobody sees “NVMe” as SATA Mode option within the BIOS section of the on-board SATA Controller, because NVMe Controller and SATA Controller are completely different devices.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@westsurf :

If you want to use an NVMe SSD as bootable system drive, you should just follow my guide (=start post of this thread).
A simple cloning procedure from a SATA to an NVMe SSD doesn’t work, because both disk drives need a different driver.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
So their is no way to get a NVME setup without a clean install? The reason I ask as I was one of the “upgraded” Win 8.1 users and don’t have the a W10 disk for installation.
Essentially all I have is the W8.1x64 install disk. The W10 came as part of the free upgrade era. [EDIT - I guess I’ve found part of my solution … https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 for Windows 10 download and media creation.

Still find it amazing that I have to re install for a NVME driver. This is why I have always preferred OSX.

@westsurf :

1. It is no problem to download the desired Win10 ISO file directly from Microsoft by using the “Media Creation Tool” (look >here<).
    2. If you have upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10, you don’t even need to enter a key (it is layed down within your mainboard BIOS). The freshly installed Win10 will be activated automaticly after having entered the Microsoft account details (eMail address + password).

Already on to it. If this is what has to be done … it has to be done.
I guess after five odd years a fresh install is probably due.

Thanks for the input. Many thanks for this thread which got my other GA-Z77-UP5-TH Hackintosh build running brilliantly with a modded BIOS based off this thread.
Even after five years it still a fast machine running High Sierra, Mojave beta and W10.

Westsurf

Wow! It sounds VERY complicated! It might be possible for Windows 10, but the one I am using is Win 7…
I think I am giving up at the moment. Maybe eventually I will start from scratch in the future!
Thanks again for your help!

After some research and testing, I did it! >Here< is my guide!

Fernando thanks for hint and patience!
I used another setup (MMTool) due to fact I found it on another web first. Currently BIOS is updated by the NvmExpressDxe_4 plugin by UEFItool as first post. The pictures in “how to” are really perfect guidance. Bios is successfully loaded into MB.
Seems I should be prepared and I can risk to buy the mentioned M2 disk. I will let you know about the result once will be delivered from Ali :slight_smile: Seems to be quite good feedbacks for item 32847113544.
I’m looking forward to see progress in this bottleneck.

Regards Radek

Hi Guys,
I success to install window 10 in NVME but I only get 600-700mb on PCIE 2.0. Is that anything I did wrongly ? Any advice for that ?

(Mobo: P8H67-M-LE NVME: PM961 )

Thanks

@lwk523 :
Since you succeeded with the installation of Win10 onto your NVMe SSD, you obviously have followed my guide (= start post) correctly.
Questions:
1. Did you follow my advices, which I have layed down >here<?
2. Did you insert the NVMe SSD with its M.2>PCIe adapter into the best suited PCIe slot? If you are using a discrete graphics card, did you try to temporarily remove it?

You are right. The speed go 2 times once I changed put in PCIe 2.0 x16 and without discrete graphics card. Is there any method if i need to use graphics card.?

Thanks @Fernando

As long as you don’t play games with enhanced video standards, the iGPU is good enough.
It is up to you to decide, whether the performance of your system drive or the video display is more important for you.
By the way: None of my 2 Intel chipset desktop systems (Z68 and Z170 chipset) has ever used a discrete graphics card.

I use it for drafting work with autocad in 2D only. I think it is still sufficient. :wink:

Hi, Oddbjorn, Can I ask you to share you bios file with me please? I own a p8z77-v too and it would be easier for me to just flash your modified bios, thank you very much.

Also, it is a wonderful thread, thank you for maintaining it for all those years, it’s amazing! <3

Hello Everyone! First post, and I’d like to thank everyone for the great information in here! I’ve learned a bunch about UEFI, legacy bios, NVME, and modding them. Unfortunately not enough. Maybe someone is able to point out what I am doing incorrectly, because my new NVMe drive (Samsung 960 EVO 1TB) is unrecognizable as a bootable drive.

I am using an ASUS ROG G751JY-DH72 laptop that came OEM with a 128gb SM951 drive, and a platter drive. I removed the SM951 for a 850 EVO, which I am replacing with a 960 EVO NVMe. The ASUS ROG forums have a guide > here < that explains how to get an NMVe drive working for this laptop model. The guide draws heavily from the original post in this guide and also referenced Win-Raid forums (which is how I found you all!). I followed the guide exactly, backed up the original BIOS, injected the nvme_4 DXE (from here) appropriately, saved the modified BIOS, and uses AFUWINGUI to flash the laptop. When booting from a Win10 install USB, the win10 install would not format, partition, or install onto the NVMe drive, stating it could not boot from it. When I investigated the BIOS settings, my drives llisted were the USB drive, the 850 EVO, and “PATA SS:” which is apparently how the 960 EVO identifies. One of Fernando’s posts says if my bios report an NMVE this way, i do not have UEFI bios and may need to use the clover method. Is that accurate?

I am confused because the ROG thread has people with the same laptop model and same drive, no problem… I definitely do not have UEFI bios and they are definitely legacy on my laptop. Is it possible I “lost” them somehow and can regain UEFI bios and make this simple? WOuld I need to use the clover method? I am unsure of the best way to move forward… but what I absolutely do not want to do is send the NVMe drive back to Amazon.

Thanks for the guide. It worked great. I just modded the bios for a MSI 970A‑G43 motherboard based on the A.6 bios taken from the MSI website. In case you have this motherboard and are looking to do this mod, you can use the attached file.

I am using an Inland Professional 512GB 3D NAND M.2 NVMe drive in a Vantec M.2 NVMe SSD PCIe x4 Adapter in a MSI 970A‑G43 motherboard and can boot windows 10 directly.

E7693AMS.zip (3.86 MB)

@Suranei :

I doubt, that Oddbjorn will read your request. It would have been better to directly address your question to him or to send him a PM.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Tempus :
The fact, that the NVMe SSD is listed within the BIOS as “PATA SS”, verifies, that
a) the NVMe module has been inserted correctly into the BIOS and
b) the modded BIOS has been properly flashed into the BIOS chip of your laptop.
So you should be able to use the NVMe SSD as bootable system drive.

Provided, that you booted off your USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode, I suspect, that you forgot to disable the “Secure Boot” and/or “Fast Boot” option within your BIOS settings.

@styles_k :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!

To make sure, that interested users of an MSI 970A-G43 mainboard will find your already modded BIOS, you should better offer it within >this< Sub-Forum.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thank you for the welcome, this forum is quite a knowledge base! Much to learn still. My BIOS has secure boot disabled by default, but I have not seen an option for Fast Boot to be enabled or disabled. I briefly used a free trial of EasyUEFI > here < to look at my UEFI/EFI boot record when I booted into the 850 EVO drive. It seems the software would not install as my win10 image on that drive was no a UEFI based windows.

I’ll cycle through my BIOS soon and take pictures of each screen and link them here in this post, perhaps you will see a setting I missed.

@Tempus :
To make sure, that your bootable USB disk drive will install the desired Win10 Edition in UEFI mode and use the GUIMode Partition Table (GPT) instead of the Master Boot Tecord (MBR), I recommend to use the tool named Rufus.

@Fernando You are a genius sir! Vielen Dank!

My USB install drive with Rufus was MBR OR GPT, not GPT for UEFi only. It is installing beautifully now, thank you again so very much!!