[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

This is not a bug in UEFITool, that is a bug in image organization.
05CA01FC-0FC1-11DC-9011-00173153EBA8 is a GUID of AmiRomHole0 file, and it’s located at a fixed address in the image, but there’s no indication about that anywhere: it’s not even aligned (FFS File Attributes are 0x00).
What’s wrong here is the following: pad files used to align AmiRomHole0 and AmiRomHole1 shouldn’t be pad files at all (so they won’t be removed by reconstruction).
Please create an issue on GitHub about adding support for AMI ROM holes, maintainers will try to do something about that.

THANKS fernando for the nice and easy quide !!
asus maximus v formula (z77) + adapter nvme +970 evo

Pic1.png

some numbers:

Pic2.png

Pic3.png

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted pictures resized (to save space, can be enlarged by a click onto them) and inserted by using the Forum Software (for longer availability)

@ultraex2005 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!
Enjoy the speed of an NVMe SSD with your old and natively not supported mainboard!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando @CodeRush - I am not good at writing out bug reports And this is not specific to any one BIOS, I see this often in many different BIOS, never a specific brand or board series/BIOS type.
Usually when I see if if 25.1 destroys the padding, using 25.0 wont, that is the usual fix 98% of the time (Rare to have to use MMTool) However, this BIOS we looked at in this instance, what CodeRush mention surely applies since he checked out the specifics.
Surely that isn’t the reason for the paddings every time I’ve run into the issue, since it’s different manufacturers coding the BIOS each time?

I see this maybe once or twice every few weeks, varying BIOS brands/ board series, OEM and mainstream.
I could try and maintain a list of BIOS I see this with, to update to someone once a month or something, or add to the bug report maybe if someone can make one (I’ve never used gitbub except to download)

Hello!!! Big thank you for your help !!! This is the only foreign resource where I found a solution to my problem!!!

@shramkoalexander :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Which sort of problem did you have and what was the solution?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
What step you used when flashed on P8z77 v Deluxe, i used with bios flashback but not successed, i used 1 usb fd and mmc with adapter, but not successed, can you have me some advice
Thanks

@aris.ahnaf :
If you were not able to get the modded BIOS successfully flashed by using the ASUS USB Flashback feature, you have either done something wrong or used a not appropriate USB Flash Drive.
Since your problem has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, please read the start post of >this< thread carefully. If you should have further questions related the BIOS flashing procedure, please post them into the linked thread.

HELP
Could you please verify if i have done the NVME insertion correct. I have an Asrock Z77pro4-M motherboard. I could not locate the text ‘pci bus lane’ in the file. Thanks in advance.

Z77 Pro4-M(2.00)ROM.rar (4.22 MB)

@maxi :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

After having checked your modded BIOS, I found 2 mistakes:
1. You inserted the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file twice (only 1 NVMe module is required and can be used).
2. Instead of inserting the module behind (beyond) the undermost listed module (it is named within your specific BIOS “aDefaultDXE”), you have put both modules into the middle of the DXE Volume.
Furthermore I recommend to rename the modded BIOS another way after having corrected the above mentioned mistakes. Your chosen name “Z77 Pro4-M(2.00)ROM.rom” contains the *.ROM extension twice.

The search for this specific DXE module was wasted time. Each BIOS has another undermost listed DXE Driver.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for your feedback

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Thank you so much for the instructions Lost_N_BIOS. The way my vision is these days I would not have been able to sort out the correct procedure myself.

The BIOS flash was a success - I still have a functioning computer, not an oversize novelty doorstop. When executing the BIOS flash command (fptw -bios -rewrite -f ), FPTW began by showing a message in Yellow “PDR Region does not exist”. But as it immediately began to erase the BIOS there was no option other than to let it continue. Fortunately it concluded successfully and my computer rebooted without any problems.

I don’t have a spare NVME SSD to test it yet. (Amazon’s cost cutting seems to have gone too far and they usually neglect to seal the ends of their ‘book mailer’ type packaging with tape, leaving a gap large enough for a small item to fall out. As a result I received an empty package without my M.2 SSD.) So I dumped the newly flashed BIOS again and confirmed that the NVME module was present.

[Edit]
Do the 0x8A & 0x8B variables revert to their original state automatically, or should they be reset manually to protect the BIOS?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@davelister - glad all is well and your board is updated BIOS and running now! no PDR region is normal. You did the mod again with a backup first correct? Hope so!

That’s bad about your SSD, I bet someone stole it on purpose rather than it slipping out, hopefully Amazon comes through for you on a replacement without hassles!
You can reset those variables, or leave them unlocked, it’s Ok to leave if you want, I doubt any Virus being made for unlocked BIOS now that would end up on your system without someone physically accessing it in person.

Yep, I was very careful to backup my BIOS first (dump at least twice, then compare hashes & load into UEFI Tool just to make sure it’s not garbage). Losing serial numbers & MAC addresses would have been bad - definitely worth a warning in big red letters.

Regarding the SSD, it happened a couple of months ago and Amazon have been worse than useless. (Wouldn’t respond to anything I wrote in an email - not even a request that they confirm if my messages were being read by a human. Just kept sending the same long standard text over and over. Highly insulting.) Fortunately there are a couple of legal avenues available to consumers here in the UK. The Small Claims Court is one option. But an easier route is to go to your bank. If you used credit (including credit cards) for purchases (or part of) over £100 then the credit provider has joint liability, under section 75 the good old Consumer Credit Act 1974. (Another option for debit cards & lesser amounts are Visa’s own Chargeback rules, but they are Visa’s own rules not a legal right.)

Sent a dossier of evidence to my bank last month. Haven’t heard back yet, but noticed the other day that the money has been credited back to my account.

Moral of the story? Don’t waste time trying to reason with idiots! Ask nicely once, then hit them with a big stick.

Have a Merry Christmas and may 2019 be better than 2018.

Hello. Fernando , I am new join for this Forum.
I downloaded the Bios file from other Brothers that successes insert nvme. And follow every steps in page1 to install win10.
Finally, can’t access win10 after installation completed and reboot just show recovery screen.

I am using Asrock Z77 pro4 with PCIEx3 with M2 SSD. kindly provide some advice to check. thanks

@Kaman.T:
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Questions:
1. What means “can’t access Win10 after installation completed”? Has the installation been really completed or just the copy procedure before starting the real installation?
2. Do you see a Disk Drive named “PATA” or “PATA SS” within the BIOS?
3. Which BIOS settings did you choose within the “BOOT” section?
4. Did you boot of the USB Flash Drive, which contains the Win10 Image, in UEFI mode?
4. Did you unplug all other HDDs/SSDs before starting with the OS installation?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, Thanks for your prompt reply.

After copy win10 files and reboot to “starting the real installation” (cant access window on 1st reboot)
** seem no driver search / target to reboot (get back to Bios screen. >_<

Seem “no”, no drivers show as CSM & Sata ACHI disable.

None , if all driver unpluged

Surely !! follow your page 1 setup steps and try 3-4 version of win10 image

Surely, with all setup inside Bios.

KIndly advice any items to check thanks

@Kaman_T
If “PATA” or “PATA SS” are not in the “Boot” section of the BIOS, the BIOS mod was not successful.

Asrock has a Beta BIOS for your motherboard that has NVMe support (2.90P) here https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Ex…dex.us.asp#BIOS
There is also a later Beta BIOS listed (3.00) with “Update CPU Microcode”, but Asrock does not say if it has NVMe support also, or if the microcode update address’ the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities (I would think so).

I would try the 2.90P Beta BIOS first to see if it actually supports NVMe. With official support from Asrock your NVMe SSD should show up in the BIOS by it’s official name, though you still cannot select it as a bootable device.

If your SSD shows up in the BIOS with 2.90P, I would then try the 3.00 Beta BIOS to get the microcode update (unless you don’t want the Spectre-Meltdown update), and to see if it also has support for NVMe.
Or, you can contact Asrock support Taiwan at [email protected] (don’t waste your time with the other Asrock support locations) and ask if they have a BIOS for your motherboard with NVMe and Spectre-Meltdown microcode updates. They may point you to the BIOS I have already mentioned, or they will have a later BIOS not listed (as they did for me). It may take a few days for them to reply.

Thanks Paulos7,

is it directly flash z77ext4 to my mainboard z77pro4 ? or copy the Nvme part to pro4 Bios rom ?
kindly advice. I am beginner on flashing bios.

Zitat von Kaman .T im Beitrag #3855

Seem “no”, no drivers show as CSM & Sata ACHI disable.

And what happens after having enabled CSM?
Does the BIOS show a “PATA” or “PATA SS” within the “BOOT” section drive then?

You can only flash a complete BIOS file and not parts of it. Copying of a BIOS part into another BIOS doesn’t work resp. will give you a bricked mainboard after having tried to flash the product.