[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi, just registered to share my experience and thank you for the detailed instructions.

I successfully modified the BIOS for ASUS P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt and I’m using a NVME SSD with a Jeyi PCI-E adapter. The process was quite straightforward and I flashed using the Flashback USB method. Had to try 2 different USB pendrives but the second one did the trick.

@saboya :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Well, I’m going to give up the idea to use a NVMe drive in my laptop, nothing works…
I tried to flash the modded bios but whatever the method I use, the system refuses to flash the modded file because it has the same build date than the current one (I modded from the last update which is already the version installed on my system).
The clover workaround doesn’t work either so I’m not going to loose more time on that bull***t laptop

@Fernando Thanks for your help anyway

@Neutral67fr :
It is a pity, that you were not able to flash the modded BIOS, which would have brought your system full NVMe support.
On the other hand you should consider, that it is much easier and less risky to flash a modded BIOS into the BIOS chip of a desktop mainboard than into a BIOS chip of a laptop.

Which method did you use to achieve this with the GA-7PESH2?

@Neutral67fr - see my guide - [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash
You can start at step #6, because here is your variable to unlock >> 0xAE

Pay attention to the guide warning, make a backup first and then apply your NVME edit to that, then flash as directed.

@daedalus - here is mod BIOS for you - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…358984200689167
Replace image.bin at SPI-UPD folder, then use option [1] = use FPT flash BIOS, Afudos flash ME. Please don’t set ME Flash jumper - Or, you can use #2 as well, set jumper
Or [3] = use AfuDos flash BIOS. (May fail, unsure if security check on AFU or not, that’s why I suggest #1 or #2 first)

@Lost_N_BIOS Thank you for your help but I don’t think the guide you mentioned will help to solve anything as at the end the UEFI (“bios”) chip refuses any update with an less or equal bios file build date than the current version. So I guess that even there is any kind of other signature verification (in case of a modded file), no flash is possible at that time…
I would need a trick/tweak to change the date build inside the modded bios file or find a way to first downgrade to a previous bios version (which is basically the same date problem).
I obviously don’t want to brick my laptop so I prefer stop here, the gain is not worth the risk :wink:

@Neutral67fr - This does not matter, the method I linked will work 100%. Intel FPT does not care about “AFU” or Asus “EZ Flash” rules or security verifications etc. Follow as I mentioned and you can flash anytime!
This is designed method to get around Asus security method, well known issue of which there is many solutions. Build date can be done, but would also need flashed in the same manner I linked (it’s modified BIOS if you change the date, thus you must use this method)
100’s of people use this method and others to get around Asus flash blocks all day long, as well as Asrock and many other brands with similar locks as well.

I help people around Asus security and modify Asus BIOS all day long, trust me you can flash using my method, follow what I said though >> Backup via FPT, mod that, then unlock BIOS lock, then flash your modified backup via FPT… done

@Lost_N_BIOS Well, I’ll probably have to read the guide 10 more times to understand well each particular step before trying to do anything
In the meantime thanks for the tip

Just to confirm, I don’t need to do anything posted at the start of the guide; just drop the image.bin file into the latest version of the BIOS into the SPI-UPD folder, and then use FPT to flash it onto my motherboard?

I have a question which is probably off topic for this certain thead, pardon me pls.
I’ve successfully modded and flashed BIOS and cloned my HDD to SSD. But now I simply cannot boot. No errors though. I see my SSD detected by UEFI BIOS as “Pata SS:”. But when I try to boot from it it simply doesn’t boot up OS and throws me back to UEFI Bios Setup screen.
My config is: mobo H81M-K, Samsung EVO 970. I see SSD in Windows, I cloned my current Windows OS to it using EaseUS Todo Backup app.
The only thing that I could come up for now as a possible reason of the failure is that clonned system uses MBR setup instead of GPT. But frankly I am not sure that is what I’m looking for in my case.
Fernando, could you pls help me! Thanks in advance

@daedalus :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Nobody is forced to follow my guide, which is layed down within the start post, but the knowledge about how to flash a modded BIOS does not really help you to get full NVMe support.

@snib :
If you want to boot off your NVMe SSD, you should just follow my guide.
Have you read within the start post, that I recommend to clone the formerly used system drive to the NVMe SSD?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :

Hello, and thanks for warm welcoming of me and every who comes here for the first time. It’s really nice of you!
It’s late night here and I’m on production set, so I have to force it working till the 6 am which is soon.
So, I actually didn’t get that you just said - you reccomned to clone the formely used system drive to the NVMe SSD? you do or you don’t? If you do then it’s all illogical to me because that’s what I have done and having issues with.
But you didn’t answered about the MBR and GPT nuance I’ve asked about. Is it possible to boot from MBR partitioned NVMe SSD at all using this BIOS mod?
We have server with a lot of settings stored on it, we cannot simply throw it away and reinstall system. Also I don’t have testings platform I need just clone the disk and make it work.
Any comments pls that could help, would appreciate a lot.

Update:
The only sentence I have found in the initial message of this thread about cloning is this:
"Another option is to do a clean OS installation in UEFI mode onto any SATA connected SSD (a suitable NVMe driver should be available for the OS!) and to clone the complete disk drive content onto the NVMe SSD. "
BTW installing in UEFI mode - is it a guarantee that windows will choose GPT over MBR automatically while partitioning?
And what difference between installing Windows first on SATA HDD and cloning later to NVMe SSD vs. installing it on SATA SSD with cloning? What part is neccessary here - isntalling on SATA SSD or installing in UEFI mode or both? Actually I don’t see any difference between SATA SSD and HDD as far as I am aware about partition aligning and stuff, am I right?
I simply don’t have time, testing platform, spare SATA SSD, spare HDD, and ability to kill the OS to reinstall it from the ground and right to make mistake. My bad. So is it all about having GPT setup? Does it possible at all to boot MBR rigged disk with that mod, have you or anyone else tried it before?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@Fernando :
Thanks for your help, what I meant was, in addition to adding the image.bin file that @Lost_N_BIOS supplied to a stock BIOS, I also need to follow the rest of the steps at the start of the guide correct?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

I do not recommend you do it. According to my guide you should do a clean install of Win10 onto the NVMe SSD.

It doesn’t work. You have to install the OS in UEFI mode with a GPT partition scheme.

Yes, that is correct.

@Fernando :
Thank you for your patience, sir. The problem is I have Windows Server here which has running production with many settings in it’s registry for about 15 users and installed lincesed software that would stop working if I choose to do clean install. It’s very bad idea to reinstall it from scratch. If I am to find reliable way to make such conversion I’ll post it here.
Anyway, thank you.

@Neutral67fr - you can skip steps 1-5, those are about how to get the variable, I gave you variable above so you can start on step #6

@daedalus - yes, I have already modified that BIOS with NVME module, it’s modified and ready to flash. You will still need to follow step #4 closely on page one, about how to install to the NVME after flashing BIOS is done.

@Fernando
I’ve just managed to run Windows Server without reinstalling it on the new NVMe SSD. And I’ve found at least 3-4 ways to accomplish this task. I’m so happy, sir, thank you very much, Fernando, for your help, for this forum and for your thorough guide about modding UEFI to allow booting old machines from new and fast NVMe devices.
And thank you for this dopamine I’m feeling at the moment thanks to your how-to! )
I’m going to write a how-to later about cloning Windows Server (and any other Windows OS) from MBR rigged old HDD and make it running again.

Hello from Sunnyvale, California. This is my first post, and I’m looking to get a plextor pcie x4 512GB NVMe SSD to be bootable in my much beloved Asus Z87 Pro build with its nearly golden 4770k. Build this new in 2013 and have no need upgrade to a new computer, except for the want of a bootable NVMe drive. Here is where I’m at: Got the card installed and it runs at rated spec speeds (BLISTERING! 3200MB seqRd, 2100MB seqWt) under Win7 64 bit with the two NVMe hotfixes installed. I’ve cloned this SSD Win7 image to the NVMe, and have converted the clone’s partitions to GPT. I’ve got a freshly formatted FAT32 8GB USB 2.0 with just a NVMe modded 1602 bios on it, all ready for the USB Flashback operation. But before I continue, I have a few question concerning possible nasty surprises or road blocks which may lay ahead. First off is I want to use the 1602 vs. 2103 bios. I’ve found that I could not dial in the OCs I use regularly with 2103. Will using the 1602 bios be a problem? Also, will I be so fortunate that my cloned, GPT converted, win7 NVMe, boots properly? And finally, once that NVMe modded bios is flashed to my mobo, will I still be able to select and boot non-NVMe MBR drives with it? My sincere gratitude goes to the awesome and incredibly helpful community here…donation will follow…THANKS for reading.

@TheFamilyMan :
Here are my answers to your questions:

1. The BIOS version doesn’t matter regarding the functionality of the inserted NVMe EFI module.
  2. You will not be able to boot off your simply cloned GPT converted NVMe SSD, because its boot sector has no connection to the required NVMe driver. Within this thread you may find reports from Win7 users about how to solve this problem without doing a fresh OS install.
  3. If you want to get a dual-boot system, you should convert all MBR partitions to GPT as first step and then customize the Windows Boot Manager by using a tool like EasyBCD.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)