[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@master00 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

After having inserted any NVMe SSD into one of the PCIe slots, you should see a device named “PATA” within the BOOT section of the BIOS. You cannot see the “Windows Boot Manager” entry now, because you haven’t yet installed the OS in UEFI mode using the GUIMode Partition Table (GPT).

Yes.

Yes, after having successfully installed Win10 in UEFI mode, the entry “Windows Boot Manager” will be shown.

You should set it to “UEFI”.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,
Thanks for your reply. I read some message on Web.,that say if the bootblock part is not damaged, then someone can use the bios recovery method to achevice the bios back. So, how can I know, if the bootblock is alright ? I can see the front LTE of the DVD writer light up when I startup power of the machine.
Besides, for the case of my Asus P8P67 pro, I have installed win10 on it and work seemed without issue for I find that one dual channel of my ram device does not work, I shall check if the mod bios affect the ram setup or not later this week. Do you have any insight on this?
Thank you very much. 謝謝您。

@maximtam :
Since the question “How to recover a BIOS after a bad flash?” has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, I recommend to start a new thread within >this< Sub-Forum and to ask an expert like @Lost_N_BIOS for help (look >here<).
Good luck!

I did everything according to the instructions, everything works perfectly. ASUS P8B75-M motherboard. Modified BIOS file AMI MMTool. At first I installed the win8.1 on another disk, because the Al Suite do not run on win10, on my motherboard. Then I replaced the files during the firmware. And then I installed win10 on the SSD. Thanks Fernando

BEFORE

AFTER

@ivanvalerich :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded.
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the modded bios for my MSN 970A-G43. Now I can boot win 10 from my HP SSD EX900 M.2 with my Kingshare adapter. The speed is amazing. Some of the applications and google chrome are so fast that I don’t even have time to blink.

@rgq2019 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

Whom do you thank resp. who modded the BIOS for you?
Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the answers. However in pci rom priority if i select uefi bios my pc doesn’t go past the splash screen :frowning:

This indicates, that you cannot boot in clean UEFI mode (with DISABLED CSM) due to a missing BIOS GopDriver for your graphics adapter.
Which are the other BIOS options regarding booting in UEFI/LEGACY mode?

Hello. I did everything according to your guide, but I cannot see PATA drive in my boot menu.

I have P8Z77-V LX mobo which at first didn’t let me install modded bios in it. It told me it couldn’t read the file even though it was .cap.
I tried to remove header, tried .ROM file and everything but no luck. Tried also to boot bios from usb.
However I managed to flash the bios using ASUS UTILITY 2.0 updater. Or so it told me it was succesful. But I don’t think so.
I installed my ADATA SX8200 and I can even see it in Device Manager.
I have windows on my usb-stick but had no luck booting from it after disabling CMS and other drives.

@s1me If you can’t see your pendrive after disabling CSM, you didn’t prepare it for EFI booting, in other words - you can’t install OS using it on NVMe drive.
Use program like Rufus, to make a installation pendrive capable of UEFI/GPT booting.

PS. Without OS (or more specificly it’s EFI boot partition), NVMe drive can’t be available as boot option in BIOS/UEFI (and it can’t be seen/detected otherwise at BIOS level).

I made it as far as installing the os in the ssd disk. During the installation windows started booting and it just took me back to starting new installation. So I guess it didn’t find out how to boot from ssd. I tried to find the ssd in bios and change some settings but no luck.

@s1me :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Does that mean, that you were able to begin the installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode, but after the first reboot the installation started again from scratch?
If yes, redo the procedure, but unplug the USB Flash Drive while rebooting for the first time.
Another question: Do you see a Disk Drive named “PATA” within the BOOT section off the BIOS? If not, I suspect, that the modded BIOS hasn’t been successfully flashed.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yeah that is what I mean. I tried to unplug usb in between restart but it didn’t help. It says after reboot “the current BIOS settings do not fully support the boot device. Go to CSM parameters and adjust settings etc.”

Also there is no PATA drive in my bios. The flashing part was the hardest part from beginning. Tried usb, tried disabling the header, checked the files and finally" flashed" it with AI utility. But seems like it didnt work. No changes in bios.

Do you see a "Windows Boot Manager" as boot option in BIOS after installation restart ?

No :confused: I think I have to disable some kind of lock in the modded bios version to make it flash correctly. But that is tomorrows hay. Thanks for help anyways.

@s1me :
Yes, the facts, that no “PATA” device is visible within the BIOS and that the “Windows Boot Manager” hasn’t been created by the Win10 Setup, indicate, that the modded BIOS hasn’t been successfully flashed.

First of all, thank you Fernando for this fantastic thread and guide. And eveveryone else that helped. I have Asus P8Z77-V mbo, and recently stumbled on this thread and found out it could be flashed to support NVMe boot. I don’t have NVME ssd yet, but am expecting one in a week or so. Nevertheless I wanted to prepare my mbo for it and tried to mod and flash the bios. Modding went successfully, the guide is precise and easy to follow. Couldn’t flash the bios via Asus EZ Flash builtin utility due to failure of security verification, which was to be expected, but had to try anway :smiley:
But more to the point, couldn’t get it to flash via USB Flashback method. Tried with multiple USB sticks, the LED starts flashing, but stops very soon and doesn’t flash. After double checking USB sticks, FAT32,filename, modded BIOS itself, I got the distinct feeling that procedure fails because it either refuses the file or doesn’t see the file at all. So on that hunch I went to BIOS settings, and then to builtin EZ FLASH tool once again, and found out that this tool doesn’t see USB FAT32 formatted stick at all, only my hard drives with NTFS filesystem. I remebered that I also didn’t see it the first time in EZ FLash, when it refused to flash it, but tried to load it from my hard drive (NTFS). So with this suspicion and confirmation in mind, I reformatted my usb stick to NTFS, copied modded bios to it and started the USB FLASHBACK again, this time LED next to BIOS Flashback button continued flashing for longer time, and the procedure continued, the computer restarted and my bios settings were reset to default. So I think the flash was successful with modded bios.
I cannot confirm this yet, because I dont have NVMe SSD yet, but will do try to install OS and boot from it as soon as I receive the SSD.
Sorry for so long a post, just wanted to let anyone else that some motherboards don’t read FAT32 formatted usb stick for USB BIOS FLASHBACK procedure, but instead need a NTFS formatted stick .
As soon as I get to try NVME ssd I will post the results here, but I’m pretty confident that it will work, now that I managed to flash modded bios to my mbo.

@Maat236
By experience , for the both ASUS mboards (Flashback aware) I have (P8Z77-V Deluxe and a Sabertooth X99) the Flashback operation does succeed only when using a USB v2.0 key (<16GB size), MBR partitionned and FAT32 formatted. Without respect of these 2 conditions the Flasback operation does not start. Moreover a USB key which has been used on a MAC machine should be MBR repartionned and FAT32 reformatted to get a FlashBack operation accepted.

@Maat236 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your detailed report about your experience with the ASUS USB Flashback feature!
It seems to me, that 100PIER is right and I suspect, that your flashing procedure has not been successful.
That is why I recommend to redo the BIOS flashing by using a small sized FAT32 formatted USB 2.0 Flash Drive.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)