[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Thanks @Paulos7. It would be good to have a single Win 7 ISO that I could use for all of the PCs I am about to move to NVME SSDs instead of one customuzed for the XPG, another one for Intel and, etc, etc. Its possible I will not use the same SSD in all of them.

Are you saying it is possible to do that with the MS Hotfixes … give Win 7 native NVME support? And then update the SSDs to device-specific drivers after Windows has installed?

Jeff

You can either :
1) Use drivers from NVMe manufacturer for Win7 (or from this topic : LINK
2) Incorporate NVMe fix into Windows 7 installer.

Both options are 100% possible/legit.

Thanks, @agentx007. The 2) MS Hotfix will work for all NVME drives while 1) is a per device method?

@pepar

Yes. And the ISO can be used for any other Windows 7 install (64bit or 32bit depending on which ISO you use). If you read my post at [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (96) (#1437 of Dieter’s guide) you’ll find more details of my personal experience with Win7 on NVMe. I believe that I got the procedure for integrating the hotfixes at https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-install-…press-nvme-ssd/ if you’re interested. If you’re using a USB3.0 flash drive for the install, you’ll be prompted for USB drivers (Intel needs two, and they should be put on a separate USB2.0 flash drive so they can be read), then when the install process can see your USB3.0 drive you install the NVMe driver. After that, it should be like any other Win7 install.

my fault sorry:
https://mega.nz/#!M1R0DQDb!lc2yHAlfMlCAR…g9MyyvDfFMlNoZU

Someone can check if i do all right?

@RYZON :
The NVMe module has been inserted into the correct location and the BIOS code looks much better than the one you had previously attached via PM.
Good luck while flashing the modded BIOS!

thanks, I’m going to test, it’s weird because I did exactly the same thing

Once this bios flashed modified to read nvme I can use the same 2.5" ssd right?

Yes!

I read the first post and a few pages in. Technology advanced considerably since then and all boards in the last 2-3 years have PCIe 4x Gen 3 NVME support.

Is there anymore of the older posts that I should read?

Jeff

The more you read, the more you know, but essential for your project is just the start post of this thread.

Hello Fernando,

I fail to flash mod bios to my MSI Z77A-GD55 mb, the mb is now bricked. For how can I have it unbricked? Thanks a lot.

E7751IMSNVME.zip (5.45 MB)

Does anybody know if the NVME Hotfixes can be slipped into a fully Rolled Up Win7 install ISO? I have that accomplished and would like to NOT have to go back and start over.

Jeff

@maximtam :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum"!
What lets you think, that your mainboard is bricked? How did you flash the modded BIOS, which tool did you use and what happened?
I doubt, that your current problem has anything to do with the BIOS modification itself. I have inspected your attachment and found out, that the insertion of the NVMe module has been done correctly.
For the recover of the BIOS you may have to use a programmer. >Here< and >here< are 2 guides about how to use it.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@pepar :
Why shouldn’t it be possible to integrate the NVMe Hotfixes into any Win7 ISO file (original or previously customized)? Do you think, that an ISO file can only be processed once?

:slight_smile: I am asking because I know I don’t know enough … to know!

I applied two updates to the Win 7 install ISO while it was mounted, one of them the Convenience Rollup, with the DISM tool but then committed and unmounted it. My life would be simpler if I could add the MS NVME Hotfixes into what I already did.

Guess I can try it.

Jeff

@pepar :
If you want to enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD as bootable system drive without any additional work, you should install Win10 instead of Win7 (full NVMe support from scratch, no customization required).

Nooooo, no Win10! I am willing to do the extra work.

Jeff

@Femando
Thanks for your reply soon.
I have found some different at the end of the DXE module between the mod file and the original bios file which have been attached for your information. Do you think this different is the root cause for this brick case?
I use the build in module inside the UEFI bios of the mb for flashing the mod bios.
I think the mb is bricked because I find there is no post on screen while the in broad LED lighted up, CPU fan turned on and the primary disk kept rolling when I start up the system.
Do you have some other suggestions on trying to see if the system have been bricked?
Thank you very much!
Sorry for my poor English writing made. 謝謝您!
Maxim

7751v1B.zip (5.51 MB)

@maximtam :
You are right: Although you had inserted the NVMe module into the correct location, there seems to be something wrong with your modded BIOS.
Which tool did you use for the insertion of the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module?
Attached is the BIOS, which has been modded by me while using the AMI MMTool v4.5.
When you compare both modded BIOSes by using a Hex Editor, you will realize the difference.

If you cannot even enter the BIOS, the BIOS Region, which is within your mainboard BIOS chip, has obviously been bricked and has to be either replaced by a new chip or recovered by a programmer.
Good luck!

E7751IMSmodbyfern.rar (5.23 MB)

Hi,
Thanks for the awsome guide. I have asrock pro 3 gen 3 and everything went smooth. I updated the modified bios with the injected module.

I have a lot of questions, sorry :slight_smile:
Before i spend money in the nvme drive and the pci converter is there anyway i can look if it is going to work? i dont have “Windows Boot Manager” in my bootable drives.
Is it because i have windows 10 installed in legacy mode?
If i install it in uefi mode will it show on bios?
and last question. I have pci rom priority in legacy, i tried to change to uefi and my pc doesn’t go past the splash logo, i had to clear cmos. Do i need to have it in uefi or can i leave it in legacy?

@master00
Normally default setting would show the windows boot manager when you have installed the system and GPT disk format.